PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter

Melissa
05-27-2009, 02:54 AM
kennzz05 got me thinking :smiley-scared002:

He mentioned that if my pcv system is clogged then it can cause blow by through my airbox and maybe up through my dip stick.

I do have a K&N air filter that I bought to replace my cheap airfilter about 6 years ago and every so often I use the recharge kit to clean it. In that kit it it has a spray can of airfilter oil.

My question is this (since I have never really paid attention :headbag:) Is my K&N airfilter always supposed to have a oily feel to it? or could I actually be getting blow by through my airfilter box?

Or am I just being a worry wart?!?!?

:popcorn:

xjjeepthing
05-27-2009, 06:06 AM
It does feel oily, but not excessive. Is it black and dirty looking or is it the reddish K&N color

Melissa
05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
It is black and dirty looking

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/Jeep/HPIM0586.jpg

Not Good??

Melissa
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I have it out right now and am using the recharger kit to clean it. I bet though that it has been at least 6 months since I cleaned it, my very very bad!!

N1TZU
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Hello Melissa, That looks like burnt black oil blow by to me. But also get other opinions to be sure. take care Bob......

BlueXJ
05-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Try running a cheap AZ filter and see if the oil/dipstick thing stops. When I had blowby it soaked the filter and left an oil puddle in the bottom of the airbox.

xjjeepthing
05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I would say blow by

Melissa
05-27-2009, 07:33 PM
I'll give a cheap filter a shot

My airbaox was dry only the filter was all ugly

whowey
05-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Thats what a cotton gauze filter will do if you have blowby. Its designed to absorb oil. so it will absorb what the blow-by spits out.

That doesnt look like normal road crud that an air filter sees.

Flip the filter over and take another shot. If it is the same black look, chances are its blow-by doing it. The top of the filter should still have a reddish tinge to it.

Melissa
05-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Thats what a cotton gauze filter will do if you have blowby. Its designed to absorb oil. so it will absorb what the blow-by spits out.

That doesnt look like normal road crud that an air filter sees.

Flip the filter over and take another shot. If it is the same black look, chances are its blow-by doing it. The top of the filter should still have a reddish tinge to it.

Here is the other side before I started cleaning it.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/Jeep/HPIM0587.jpg

After three rounds of cleaning, I can finally see some of the original redish color, but it still is pretty black, so I'm gonna try a few more rounds of cleaning.

kennzz05
05-31-2009, 04:29 AM
i have read that those filters dont filter down to the same degree as the throwaways they allow larger micron sizes to pass thru, same for all those cone types (the cold i mean hot air!! intakes) stock filter box and throwaways are the best and ive done alot of reading about it on the OTHER site(s) as i too thought cool ill put one of those fancy cone types on and gain some power.Not. all they do is draw superheated air from under the hood,causing powerloss.so i than found for about $300 you could get a surround that isolates the hot air making it more of a cool air intake but than read they did a lesser job of filtering so im staying stock.And 300 can be spent on tune up stuff and filters for prolly 5 or 6 years
check your pcv system (blowby)

Melissa
05-31-2009, 05:00 AM
i have read that those filters dont filter down to the same degree as the throwaways they allow larger micron sizes to pass thru, same for all those cone types (the cold i mean hot air!! intakes) stock filter box and throwaways are the best and ive done alot of reading about it on the OTHER site(s) as i too thought cool ill put one of those fancy cone types on and gain some power.Not. all they do is draw superheated air from under the hood,causing powerloss.so i than found for about $300 you could get a surround that isolates the hot air making it more of a cool air intake but than read they did a lesser job of filtering so im staying stock.And 300 can be spent on tune up stuff and filters for prolly 5 or 6 years
check your pcv system (blowby)

Did find out that my jeep does not have a pcv system but a ccv (crankcase ventilation system). It preforms the same funtion as a conventional pcv system but does not use a vacuum controlled valve.

I am also having this replaced when the radiator is installed, just in case

xjjeepthing
05-31-2009, 07:35 AM
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257985

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257836

A couple of articles on the CCV system

Melissa
05-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Oh thank you very much xjjeepthing, Those articles helped alot.

Okay one last question, tell me if I am way off here again please

After I took out my K&N air filter and put back in a throw away one the blow by from my dip stick tube stopped.

Was it because my K&N filter was so gummed up with oil that the blow by had no where to go and started comming out the dip stick tube?? Is that possible??

Do you think I am going to get lucky and when I have the ccv system and the radiator replaced that I might just have fixed my problems, oh I am sooooo hoping that it is!!!!

xjjeepthing
05-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Give it shot. Would be much cheaper then a new motor.