PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 3g ... No app store???

XJ4IV
12-21-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a iPhone 3g thats been jail broken and unlocked using black rain, ever since I did the jailbreak and unlock I have NEVER seen an app store on here ANYWHERE... my POS Cliq is giving me hell and I think im just gonna use the iphone instead but I gotta get applications and such soooo HOW do I do that?
I loaded Cydia and Rockstar as I was directed by the black rain site but I REALLY dont like those stores.... they are a pain

Mudderoy
12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
I have a iPhone 3g thats been jail broken and unlocked using black rain, ever since I did the jailbreak and unlock I have NEVER seen an app store on here ANYWHERE... my POS Cliq is giving me hell and I think im just gonna use the iphone instead but I gotta get applications and such soooo HOW do I do that?
I loaded Cydia and Rockstar as I was directed by the black rain site but I REALLY dont like those stores.... they are a pain

I'll check with a buddy at work. I think he did the jail break on his.

Mudderoy
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
I got a reply...

Yes, my iPhone is jail broken, but I'm running a FW (iPhone OS) that is over 1 years old. That means my phone is still susceptible to a texting hack and I can't send/receive MMS messages. And yes, I can use the iTunes app store.

Before going further, I should start with a pair of disclaimers about jail breaking iPhones:
Apple considers this to be illegal. (Not sure if the courts will see it that way or not.)
Jail breaking an iPhone voids the warranty from Apple.
The first place I'd recommend your friend to check out is http://blog.iphone-dev.org/. This group of hackers has the jail breaks that I would trust the most as far as not screwing up the phone. Another source for finding jail breaks from other individuals and groups would be http://www.quickpwn.com/.

Regardless of which jail break your friend uses, he should do a backup just in case something goes wrong. If your friend believes that his phone is screwed up, tell him to search for instructions on how to do a DFU reboot of his iPhone. It's pretty simple to do, but he'll lose his apps, contacts, and stuff. To restore those, he'll need a backup (preferably one without the jail break).

xjrev10
01-01-2011, 10:09 PM
That jailbreaking seems a little sketchy to me...

Indiana Jeep
01-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I used spirit to jailbreak mine and still have the app store I'm running 3.1.3 and also have cydia installed. www.iphonehacks.com has good step by step instructions on jailbreaking as well as links to different programs you can use. They also have a program if you are using ios4 software on a3G.

XJ4IV
01-02-2011, 08:33 PM
dang thats a good setup... i might just scrap the whole black rain setup and go this route

Mudderoy
01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
dang thats a good setup... i might just scrap the whole black rain setup and go this route

And you gave me grief when I asked you to POST your question instead of CHAT about it... :P

XJ4IV
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
sooo today I was roaming around youtube and found a hack thats EASY to install droid on the iPhone... so I did that instead... I really dont like Apple stuff but this is the best of both worlds cause EVERYTHING as far as mp3 players is tuned to ipods so NOW I can use the iPhone and still get all the bene's of the android...
So far only issue I have ran into is when the phone screen is off or in locked mode it makes a ticking noise... I keep waiting for it to blow up but nothing yet

toebee97
01-06-2011, 07:27 AM
I jailbroke and unlocked my buddys 3GS with redsn0w with no problems... Never even done an iPhone before but I nailed it on the first try lol. I was under the impression that there was a modified app store you could get from cydia, but maybe I'm mistaken. Also, if your picture messages aren't working, you probably just need to configure your APN settings. There are tutorials on youtube that show how to do it.

toebee97
01-06-2011, 07:31 AM
sooo today I was roaming around youtube and found a hack thats EASY to install droid on the iPhone... so I did that instead... I really dont like Apple stuff but this is the best of both worlds cause EVERYTHING as far as mp3 players is tuned to ipods so NOW I can use the iPhone and still get all the bene's of the android...
So far only issue I have ran into is when the phone screen is off or in locked mode it makes a ticking noise... I keep waiting for it to blow up but nothing yet
I thought android wasn't stable enough for iPhones yet, I heard something about processors overheating and draining the battery in a matter of minutes... maybe its more stable now, I haven't really followed it much. Does it make the ticking noise all the time while locked, or only while locking or unlocking it?

codertimt
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm a little late to reply, but just wanted to throw out there, that I've jailbroken a few devices at various time and alway still had the official appstore, so it seems like something was up with your iOS install. If you go back, make sure if you have any app hiding programs installed(or libhide from sbsettings) you haven't accidently hidden the app store icon or anything.

Also interested in hearing how Android works out... If it works you might check out trekbuddy. Offline gps/map app for Android. Have to create your own maps before you head out, but once you have them you don't have to worry about having a signal in the middle of nowhere for your maps... Worked great on my last outing...

TeXJ
01-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Ok so im a lil late to the party too. I jailbrok my iphone 4, with no problems. I used Limerain, there's a 1 in there somewhere lol. Really easy to do. Like was said earlier the App store might be hidden, or was accidently deleted. You can try and connect to Itunes to get it back.

When you connect to itunes stop the sincing by sliding the bar over, then your phone will be displayed on the left menu, right click over your name and hit Transfer Purchases, See if you can find the app store through Itunes.

There is another store that is called installous. You also need to install Hackulous, it has programs to help you not get male-ware.

If ya need anymore help just holla!

TeXJ
01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Oh and Jail Breaking IS legal, as the courts have said, you bought the phone, it is your phone and Apple cant tell you what to do with it. Now that said it does void your warranty. But im not sure how they can tell If you install a fresh copy of what ever OS is there.

XJ4IV
01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Soooo Im really enjoying my Christmas gift from my wife... anyone wanna buy a iPhone android device???

TeXJ
01-09-2011, 10:39 PM
what did ya get from the wife?

XJ4IV
01-10-2011, 10:53 AM
LG Optimus android with FROYO 2.2

TeXJ
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
nice!

toebee97
01-15-2011, 10:50 AM
LG Optimus android with FROYO 2.2
Nice, my sis almost got that, went with a mytouch4G instead.

In other news, I think I found a replacement for my Captivate...
http://www.htc.com/us/products/inspire-att#tech-specs