PDA

View Full Version : What is the best bolt extractor to use?

greenchevy
05-26-2009, 11:55 PM
i'm on the my last nerve with this jeep. i broke the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing on a 89 4.0. I have the hole drilled but i've been tryin to use the easy out with the left handed treads to reverse the bolt but it striped the extractor and never took to the bolt it would just strip the tool. where can i get a better tool and with one works better? i thinkin of stopping by sears, carquest, or napa in the morning to find something. If anyone has knowlege and experience of what works best. i don't got a welder so thats out of the question.

muddeprived
05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
i'm on the my last nerve with this jeep. i broke the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing on a 89 4.0. I have the hole drilled but i've been tryin to use the easy out with the left handed treads to reverse the bolt but it striped the extractor and never took to the bolt it would just strip the tool. where can i get a better tool and with one works better? i thinkin of stopping by sears, carquest, or napa in the morning to find something. If anyone has knowlege and experience of what works best. i don't got a welder so thats out of the question.

Regular bolt/screw extractors suck. Try the ez-out that autozone sells. I think advance auto has them too.

DETOURS
05-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Tooooo bad no welder is available, if you can get one there......place a 7/16" or 1/2" nut over the broken bolt......plug weld thru the nut to the stud allowing the weld to flow into the nut as well........wait 30-40 seconds, place wrench on nut and simply extract.

I've never heard of a bolt breaking in the area your having trouble with, theres always a first.......stick with it!

greenchevy
05-28-2009, 12:02 AM
o got it out put the first few threads are kind of messed up. i was thinking of putting a heilcoil in it but what does anyone think of them. I've never used one. has anyone had good luck with the heilcoils? how hard or easy are the to install?the bolt is soild when it is screwed in all the way but i wasn't and still not sure if when i torque it down if the treads will strip out.

whowey
06-01-2009, 07:15 PM
One of the few times I've heard of bolts breaking in that area involved overheating the Jeep pretty badly. I have a set of the Craftsman EZ-outs. Im not real crazy about them. Is it broken off completely inside the head, or is it sticking out some when you pull the housing off??

I'm not a big fan of Heli-coils to start with and even less of one when they are in heads. Dissimiliar metals and heat are not a great combination. Just run the correct sized tap in to clean the threads up.

modestmar00xj
04-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Tooooo bad no welder is available, if you can get one there......place a 7/16" or 1/2" nut over the broken bolt......plug weld thru the nut to the stud allowing the weld to flow into the nut as well........wait 30-40 seconds, place wrench on nut and simply extract.

I've never heard of a bolt breaking in the area your having trouble with, theres always a first.......stick with it!

good idea. genius.

steph74
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
that is exactly where my bolt broke ;) I know it is an old thread but beware, when forcing it, I ended up breaking the head ;)

hookedonxjs
04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
There was a bolt extractor electrode sold at one time by mg burdett when my dad had his welding supply.

PolarXJ
04-15-2011, 02:42 PM

I thought it was odd too, but this is the second time in a couple weeks that I've heard someone breaking that bolt. This way works great. I've shear some motor mount bolts below the block before, so welding on a nut wasn't an option. But we took our time and slowly welded on a stud that we were able to grab with vise grips.