PDA

View Full Version : SKYPE to be used to take calls into the xjtalk show!

Mudderoy
12-01-2010, 01:38 AM
I have created a SKYPE account called xjtalk.com

This will be the account that we'll use so you guys can call in to the next great experiment the xjtalk show.

Help a bruther out and get signed up on Skype so I want be the lone person talking!!!!!! :rotfl2:

skype software is free to download and the calls are free computer to computer.

Get it loaded and add me "xjTalk.com" to your list!

msmoorenburg
12-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I setup a account :thumbsup: SKYPE is preinstalled on the cell

Mudderoy
12-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I setup a account :thumbsup: SKYPE is preinstalled on the cell

That's cool. I'd like to install SKYPE on my Android but TMOBILE hasn't pushed out the 2.1 version of the OS yet. I'm still on 1.3.

I'm surprised that a cell provider would pre-install a legacy cell phone function killer.

Unlimited Internet you don't need cell "voice" service or minutes.

msmoorenburg
12-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow i've been on 2.2 for 4 months now :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
12-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Well the microphone and mic stand were delivered today. I hooked it up and did some off air testing. When I fired up the software to broadcast the "show" I remembered I was having a problem with it, so I found an alternative to that software and GOT ON THE AIR!

steph74 was in the chatroom on xjtalk and helped me out in the adjustments of the audio, video and bandwidth.

A little later Wayne (cantab27) in New Zealand showed up, Rene (rguignard), BrianXJ, BigJim350 showed up and what started off as a test, really turned into the first impromptu xjtalk "TALK" show!

Two and a half hours later people that needed to be in bed 2.5 hours prior started peeling off. I was pretty tired as well, but boy what fun!

Rene got on the xjtalk Ventrilo chat server and people from Utah to New Zealand were listening to Rene and I discuss his Jeep! The rest were involved in the conversation via the xjtalk text chat on the website.

I think we came to the conclusion that not only is this pretty fun, but we really need to do an audio only talk show, like radio. That worked the best and seemed to be the most fun for everyone.

One member said in the chat room that he was downloading the Ventrilo client and Skype right now! :rotfl2:

I know many of you have placed questions on the site looking for help. Knocking coming from the bottom end of a 4.0 for example. I thought it might be fun that we have a live talk show and we can answer some of these posts live via the show!

I'm going to look into finding a provider to broadcast the show, and I'll see about making it a pod cast that you can download and play on your MP3 player, at home, work or in the Jeep!

That's again to everyone that joined in tonight, and really letting me give the new equipment a good workout. I'm really happy with my purchase that was really very very cheap.

Everyone be thinking about a good time to have the show. I was thinking about a one hour show, but that could be longer or shorter.

Please feel free to share your ideas. Remember at least the live broadcasts will be audio only because of the bandwidth issues. I can do the video, but you really can't access xjtalk website while I'm doing it, and that's just counter productive! :smiley-laughing021:

Here's a quick shot of the audio set up!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TPcwQGG5UaI/AAAAAAAAAg0/MjSMFb2DNMw/s800/2010-12-01%2023.33.52.jpg

My favorite part is the 5 pound weight I had to put on the mic stand to keep it from tipping over with that huge microphone! :D

prerunner1982
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Muddy.. as I always say.. you sure keep things new and fresh around here, doing things a lot of other forums don't and won't even think about. I really wish I could partake in the fun, but can't because of my crappy internet connection.

I think choosing a couple questions from the forum to discuss is a great idea. Maybe then post a link to the podcast in a reply to that particular question. That way if the original poster was not in on the talk show they could down load it, or anyone else for that matter.

As far as a particular time... is this going to be a once a week show? If so perhaps on a Saturday early evening maybe or maybe a Saturday morning show..that way Dad (or Mom) has something to do while the kids are watching cartoons. lol.

Once again Muddy... I applaud you!

Mudderoy
12-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Muddy.. as I always say.. you sure keep things new and fresh around here, doing things a lot of other forums don't and won't even think about. I really wish I could partake in the fun, but can't because of my crappy internet connection.

I think choosing a couple questions from the forum to discuss is a great idea. Maybe then post a link to the podcast in a reply to that particular question. That way if the original poster was not in on the talk show they could down load it, or anyone else for that matter.

As far as a particular time... is this going to be a once a week show? If so perhaps on a Saturday early evening maybe or maybe a Saturday morning show..that way Dad (or Mom) has something to do while the kids are watching cartoons. lol.

Once again Muddy... I applaud you!

Thank you and thank you very much for the suggestions. It really helps.

Mudderoy
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I would like to do a Skype on the air call test tonight, or Wednesday night. It can be other days than that, but I don't want to wait!

If you would be interested in calling in for a test please let me know when you would be available. I'm thinking about 7pm Central time.

I already know that the Skype works with the show, and the person can hear me and the show via Skype, what I don't know is if the person on Skype hears an echo of themselves.

A computer with a headset and boom mic, or a handset should work best, but really anything is fine for the test. Not everyone will have the best setup they'll have what they have and I want everyone to feel welcome to call in.

I may need some voice mail tests as well. You know for those people that can't or don't want to be on the live show? They can call in, leave a voice mail, and I can then play it and answer it on the live show.

More about the voice mail later.

So if you are available tonight at 7pm CT please post here, or PM me. Tell me in chat is fine.

If you don't have skype, just download it to your computer. There is a "echo" test that you can call to see if it's working so you won't have to worry about it this evening.

I have set up a skype account called xjtalk.com, add it to your contacts!

I've already received requests from Dirt Dog and XJ4IV! Thanks guys.

Mudderoy
12-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Ok voicemail has been set up.

Please call 530-675-4102 with your questions, or comments.

Please understand that the voicemail may be played on the live show or podcast.

Please mention your first name, or xjtalk member name, or both and then continue with your question or comment.

Hopefully we'll have some to play tonight! :thumbsup: :patriot:

prerunner1982
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Tony... I called the number and got Google voicemail... looks like it works, did not leave a message though.

Mudderoy
12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Tony... I called the number and got Google voicemail... looks like it works, did not leave a message though.

Thanks! Well someone leave a message so I can play it on the test tonight!!!! :smiley-laughing021:

rguignard
12-07-2010, 01:44 PM
well i would but i think everyone is getting sick of me by now lol

Mudderoy
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
well i would but i think everyone is getting sick of me by now lol

I know the feeling, but people keep talking to me! :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
12-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Come on guys. I need someone to step up for a Skype caller.

Some more voicemails would be nice too. We do at least have one voicemail to play.

Tonight 7pm (ish) Central time.

http://ustream.tv/channel/xjtalk

We'll be using the ustream chat window tonight so get on there and set up an account so you can chat with us.

Mudderoy
12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Remember if you can't do skype you can still call into the voicemail and leave your comments, or ask a question. Just looking for some audio to play here, so don't hurt your brain trying to think of some great questions.

This is about having fun after all.

4x4Dalton
12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey Tony would we be able to also interact with you on there as well with the Chat part?

Mudderoy
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey Tony would we be able to also interact with you on there as well with the Chat part?

Absolutely, that will be the main source of interaction for the majority of the people. Just trying to get people lined up for the chat only people to listen to. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 01:38 AM
http://www.xjtalk.com/podcast/xjtalk_podcast_onair_ustream_test_12072010.mp3

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 02:20 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/?iei0u5sb7esvfda

Is this working for anyone? I can't make it play on my PC....

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Well Dalton4x4 and I did the test. It went very well and I know I had fun doing it.

I'm still working on getting the podcast up. The player that I installed doesn't want to work for me.

The test show was an hour long, just over, and it generated a 93mb mp3 file.

So I'm ready to do a real show. What day and time would be the best for you?

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 03:09 AM
As mentioned in the podcast, here is a screen capture of the podproducer software I used...

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/podproducer.jpg

prerunner1982
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Glad it went well, hopefully you will have more participation for the next one.

prerunner1982
12-08-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/?iei0u5sb7esvfda

Mine just staying at "buffering......."

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Mine just staying at "buffering......."

Same problem with mine. Really weird after all the testing I did. Thanks for the confirmation.

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Ok my conclusion is there is something inside the vBulletin software, or one of the add ons, that is conflicting with what I'm trying to do, namely get a MP3 to play from the site.

So I've done a work around. You can listen to the podcast test by clicking on this :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/podcasts.php)

This will ONLY work if your style is set to the AF_Christmas_Fluid!

4x4Dalton
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Sounds good Muddy. Just like last night. :thumbsup:

BrianXJ
12-10-2010, 12:44 AM
That is clear. Sounds good the background noise is not that bad. hopefully next time I can join in on skype. I am really digging the site. The podcasts are going to be really useful. How long are you thinking on archiving them for? Just curious.

Mudderoy
12-10-2010, 12:58 AM
That is clear. Sounds good the background noise is not that bad. hopefully next time I can join in on skype. I am really digging the site. The podcasts are going to be really useful. How long are you thinking on archiving them for? Just curious.

Thanks, I really applicate the feedback. Like most things when you try something new you are a little concerned that people won't like it, or are laughing at you (when you don't mean for them to be). :smiley-laughing021:

I have a piece of equipment coming in that should get rid of the background noise. I may have mentioned this already.

Doing this podcast is a childhood replay for me. I used to do a radio type show in my bedroom broadcast into a cassette tape recorder. Funny how things have come full circle.