PDA

View Full Version : Do you run a scanner.

tbone
11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok everyone, who runs a scanner and what kind do you use? :patriot:

Mudderoy
11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok everyone, who runs a scanner and what kind do you use? :patriot:

I found one locally for $100, Bearcat BCT8. I don't have the money to spend but it appears to be a pretty good deal.

I'm talking to the guy via e-mail, turns out he's a local ham. Doing some research on analog in my area, since this is an analog only trunking scanner.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ERGMK1C4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh doing the research on http://www.radioreference.com/

prerunner1982
12-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I would also like to get a scanner.. and I also spend some time on the same site/forum Muddy linked too.

Punisher
12-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd love to have one of these bad boys...to keep an ear out for the :cop:
:smiley-laughing021:

prerunner1982
12-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I just like to hear what is going on around me... wouldn't mine keeping one on my desk here at work either.

Mudderoy
12-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I just like to hear what is going on around me... wouldn't mine keeping one on my desk here at work either.

With high speed Internet and excellent audio compression and streaming, you could just hook your scanner to your computer's audio input at home and listen to it on your work computer.

I can't wait for wireless high speed Internet to become widely available and cheap, lots of things you'll be able to do with your vehicle then.

prerunner1982
12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
With high speed Internet and excellent audio compression and streaming, you could just hook your scanner to your computer's audio input at home and listen to it on your work computer.

I can't wait for wireless high speed Internet to become widely available and cheap, lots of things you'll be able to do with your vehicle then.

Yes...but currently I am on Dial up at 26.6bps. :rolleyes::boohoo: Bad part of living in the country..... and yes there are sat modems and such but most cool things cost $$.... which is currently in high demand and low supply.

An besides... work would most definitely have any kind of streaming media blocked.

bluedragon436
12-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I feel ya on that crappy internet connection in the country... I live in the country... but I went with the sat setup... because I will not do dial up again.... told my wife if we were going to have to use dial up then we were going to have to move our stuff back to town where we could get a better connection... I can't even do my school work with dial up...

But as far as scanners... I run a mobile hand held unit which is a Realistic PRO-46... that way I can listen to it in the XJ as well as anywhere I want to take it with me... and it doesn't take up that much space... I need to build myself another ant setup... used to have one that stuck to my window with sucker cups and had two ant. and then a coax that ran back to the unit... so I could have better reception with it no matter where I was... as long as I had a window.. but someone decided to rid me of the ant. setup when I PCS'd from Germany... bastards!!

http://rigreference.com/img/rigs/57/3798/radioshack-pro-46.jpg

Another thing I want to do is download an app for the Droid when I get it... to be able to listen to the same frequencies as my scanner.... way newer unit... and then I only have one unit to keep up with and keep powered... LOL..

tbone
12-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I found one locally for $100, Bearcat BCT8. I don't have the money to spend but it appears to be a pretty good deal.

I'm talking to the guy via e-mail, turns out he's a local ham. Doing some research on analog in my area, since this is an analog only trunking scanner.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ERGMK1C4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh doing the research on http://www.radioreference.com/

That's a great scanner, I'm running the same one, I have a pic. of it installed in my XJ. I'll post it as soon as I can find it. It's worth the price you quoted, I payed quit a bit more for mine new. :thumbsup:

tbone
12-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Found a pic, it's mounted where the center vent used to be.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv110/tbone64_2009/icestormDec162010003.jpg

PEI-XJ
01-27-2011, 09:46 AM
if you are wanting to listen online go to http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/ and you can cover the world all for free

Firemanray
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm lucky I've got the real deal. Being on the FD I've got a 20 channel Motorola 2-way that has EVERYTHING local and surounding counties. ( Includes some of the police back channels). Also have a handheld 2-way with same stuff on it.

Now for my choice in scanners I've always had Bearcat, with good results.

Mudderoy
01-27-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm lucky I've got the real deal. Being on the FD I've got a 20 channel Motorola 2-way that has EVERYTHING local and surounding counties. ( Includes some of the police back channels). Also have a handheld 2-way with same stuff on it.

Now for my choice in scanners I've always had Bearcat, with good results.

Trunked, digital or yes?

Firemanray
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Trunked, digital or yes?

Not sure what your asking , kind of dumb on that subject, we just went "narrow band" last week if that helps.

Mudderoy
01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Not sure what your asking , kind of dumb on that subject, we just went "narrow band" last week if that helps.

lol so now it sounds like crap, right? No problem...

Firemanray
01-28-2011, 05:04 PM
lol so now it sounds like crap, right? No problem...

How did you know?!? We are having more trouble than ever now. Bleed through from departments 60+ miles away along with lots of static.

Weldmen
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
My scanner is in or on my Droid as a app. It will scan and let me know of any and all police and fire anywhere I am.

Mudderoy
01-29-2011, 02:47 AM
My scanner is in or on my Droid as a app. It will scan and let me know of any and all police and fire anywhere I am.

Wow what a big tease. App name?

bluedragon436
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
^ +1!! I want to get said app when I pick up my Droid... hopefully this coming week...

default83
01-31-2011, 07:23 AM
i have one on my iphone as well. its called scanner911 theres a couple of them on there though, i just picked one, it works ok.

prerunner1982
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh I forgot to mention earlier when RadioReference.com was mentioned, you can listen to police/fire (an amateur radio) from all over the country.

Last night I was listening to an amateur radio repeater in SoCal (one in Oklahoma was quiet at 11pm) and listening to Oklahoma city PD/FD.

So if you have high speed internet but no scanner (like me) you can still listen in.

prerunner1982
04-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Also found that RR has international as well, was just listening to Queensland police, didn't hear them pick up Wayne though.....

cantab27
04-08-2011, 11:48 PM
cause thats because im in new zealand,,,, them there coppers be in aussie ...get that heap..lol l

prerunner1982
04-08-2011, 11:51 PM
:bang::bang::fail:

OregonXJ
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
I have a bearcat handheld scanner and just installed a remote speaker to make it louder. But I also luck out working as a Public Safety Officer so I have a two way radio also. Always nice knowing what is going on around town.

4.3LXJ
11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I used to wear on on my hip when I lived north of you. Lost its appeal. It always meant overtime.

Floridajeepcherokee
07-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I have an issued Law Enforcement Motorola with every agency in the county and the surrounding counties. I do have a desktop type scanner at home which I seldom turn on.

Carves
07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
:bang::bang::fail:

Only coz you tuned into the Qld police, after, the sheep chaser went back to NZ .. ;);)

:smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
07-05-2013, 06:11 AM
I used to love listening to the scanner many years ago. It did take a toll though. I was shocked to find there was so much CRAP going on around me! Easy to see why police get a bad attitude and suspect everyone to be criminals.

XJ Wheeler
07-05-2013, 09:53 AM
I used to love listening to the scanner many years ago. It did take a toll though. I was shocked to find there was so much CRAP going on around me! Easy to see why police get a bad attitude and suspect everyone to be criminals.

Its also weird to know what isn't reported. My mom use to work as an EMT and she would come home from a shift she would tell us all this stuff that happened and you never heard about it on the news.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

nickyg
07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
if you are wanting to listen online go to http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/ and you can cover the world all for free

Cool thanks for sharing, I'm listerning to the La Guardia Airport control tower on it right now.

F1Addict
08-04-2013, 10:48 PM
I almost got a used Bearcat 996xt but just before meeting the guy I discovered that all law enforcement frequencies in my county are encrypted and those that weren't were available streamed. That's likely why he was selling his scanner.