PDA

View Full Version : Larry Rice passes away

firehawk
05-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I wasn't aware of this until today. I heard them talking about him on the race broadcast.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/larryrice-1.jpg

Larry Rice was my 6th grade teacher at Mt. Zion Elementry in Crawfordsville, IN. I transfered to that school in December of 1968. He was someone that you looked up to, and admired. He was a true gentleman! He helped to make it easy since I was the "new kid" on the block when we moved to Crawfordsville. I remember we were allowed to watch him race midgets down at the Astro Dome while in class. At that time he never thought he would make it to the Indy 500.

I DO remember the ONLY time I ever saw him angry. Someone put a thumbtack on his chair....and he sat on it. We just sat there in class no talking, no recess, nothing until the person that put it there 'fessed up. And NO it wasn't me.

Rest in Peace Larry.

xjjeepthing
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I meet and spoke with Larry and his son on a few occasions. They raced USAC Midgets and Sprints. I traveled with a friend that raced. Great people.

Voldemort
05-24-2009, 09:53 PM
My friend that helps with 80% of my engine/drivetrain stuff builds and races sprints. They were in Indy this weekend racing wonder if the knew him?

BlueXJ
05-24-2009, 10:58 PM
What a great loss. Never knew him, but have heard him mentioned as a real gentleman and one of the best in the sport.

Voldemort
05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
My friend that helps with 80% of my engine/drivetrain stuff builds and races sprints. They were in Indy this weekend racing wonder if the knew him?

They did know him and they also said He was a great guy & a hell of a Driver!