PDA

View Full Version : Unit Bearing Interchangability

BudgetXJ
05-23-2009, 05:31 PM
I noticed a couple days ago that my front axle u-joints are pooched so I've been looking into what options I have as far as upgrades. It is fairly commonly known that the newer XJ's came with bigger u-joints so I am going to get those but for ease of installation I wanted to get the unit bearings with the axles and install them as a unit (that and mine are puking grease all over the insides and I'm hoping the newer ones will be in better shape). Here's what I found:

Mid 1999 was the change over. 1990 to 2001 parts will interchange provided your hubs and rotors match, read on.

Three different hub/bearing units were used over the years on XJ's. The hub/bearing units are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle. The model years for hub/bearing assemblies were:

1) 1984 through 1989 (early style rotors)

2) 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors)

3) late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

** You need to match brake rotors to the unit bearing/hubs on your XJ D30 axle. **

Lay the rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor.

Composite rotors will have an overall height of 3 3/16". Composite rotors will have a thin sheet metal like appearance at the lug nut holes where the studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area. Composite rotors have a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together.

Cast rotors will have an overall height of 3 1/16". Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have a square corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like they are one solid piece of metal.

Parts store replacement rotors may have a different appearance but should measure about the same.

On late 1999 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs the ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut is almost 3/4 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs ( see picture). These hubs use cast rotors.

On early 1990 - 1999 unit bearing/hubs the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut is about 1/2 inch tall (see picture). These hubs use composite rotors.

Two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper styles were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides are different part numbers.

muddeprived
05-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Nice info. I picked up some 2004 wrangler hub assemblies from daveysjeeps.com for i think $50. They were like new and bolted right up.