PDA

View Full Version : A Penny For Your Thoughts

Melissa
05-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Well boys and girls I have a decision to make. I went today and looked at a 1995 Jeep cherokee. I was surprised to find that it was a country edition like mine and had only 188,000 miles on it. I spent a good hour in the 85 degree temps trying to get it to over heat but it never reached the 210 mark on the temp gage. It was in really nice condition and the only thing wrong with it was that it has a crack in the exhaust manifold, but I just so happen to have an extra exhaust manifold sitting around. So my question to all of you is........

Should I pay the $2,000 for this Jeep and set my Jeep on the back burner for a later fix date, or just sink the money into a crate motor for my Jeep now?

Has anyone had or does have a 1995 that has problems, or knows of problems it could have being a 95?

I snapped a few pics after I drove it, let me know what you think
Oh by the way it was not sitting on level ground when I snapped the pictures

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0577.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0578.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0579.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0580.jpg

BlueXJ
05-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Well I would buy the 95 but I would also try to talk him down in price. The same truck here is about $1400-$1600 but it is a bit harder to find a good XJ in some parts of the country. Don't know the XJ situation in Heppner!!!

Melissa
05-23-2009, 12:09 AM
There are alot of xj's in the area, I blue booked this jeep and it booked for $3,993. If I decide to get it as well then I will dicker (can I say that?) on the price, but if I end up paying the whole amout for it, I won't cry over it.

Melissa
05-23-2009, 12:10 AM
What has stopped me from jumping right on this is that I am not a fan of tan interior, but I could live with it and drive it while I fix my other jeeps poor motor.

Okay I know that sounds bad that I might not buy the jeep because of the interior color, but I have gotten really spoiled and picky after buying the jeep I have now, I love the grey interior I have.

BlueXJ
05-23-2009, 01:47 AM
My interior in my XJ is tan. Now I am all sad. Mel don't like my Jeep's interior.

muddeprived
05-23-2009, 01:48 AM
I would say buy a crate motor. You can get one for the amount you have. I'd rather replace a broken motor in a familiar jeep than buy another jeep and know absolutely nothing about it or it's hidden problems.

Melissa
05-23-2009, 02:16 AM
My interior in my XJ is tan. Now I am all sad. Mel don't like my Jeep's interior.

Now I didn't say that I didn't like it other peoples rigs, just not mine :headbag:

I sorry Blue tan is just not for me :)

I would say buy a crate motor. You can get one for the amount you have. I'd rather replace a broken motor in a familiar jeep than buy another jeep and know absolutely nothing about it or it's hidden problems.

And thats my dilemma, do I take a chance on a slightly newer jeep with 188,000 miles or take a chance on my jeep with 275,000 miles on it.

How well do transmissions hold up on jeeps?, thats the only thing left on my jeep that has never had a problem (I'm knocking on wood as I type this)

Mudderoy
05-23-2009, 03:39 AM
I was going to push you hard (prior to this post) about getting a crate engine. $1900 and you have a 100% engine. Then I thought about it. There is still other stuff you need to buy, water pump, maybe a distributor, etc... plus who is going to put it in? I'd do my own, but this may be another $500 to $1000 for you.

I think you really have to consider what you will really be spending prior to getting a crate engine.

Personally if you can wait on a replacement XJ, I would get a 97+ and get a standard. I've read the autos are good for 200k maybe, which is great for an auto but I hate to see you get that 95 then have to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced.

It's a difficult decision. You could find a 1998 with $150k on it as well. I wish mine was a standard.

xjjeepthing
05-23-2009, 06:21 AM
I agree with Mud. i would find a 97 or newer. Much nicer XJ for a DD. look for on with the 8.25 rear end.

Mudderoy
05-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I agree with Mud. i would find a 97 or newer. Much nicer XJ for a DD. look for on with the 8.25 rear end.

I forgot about that. Yeah you don't want a dana 35.

Melissa
05-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I was going to push you hard (prior to this post) about getting a crate engine. $1900 and you have a 100% engine. Then I thought about it. There is still other stuff you need to buy, water pump, maybe a distributor, etc... plus who is going to put it in? I'd do my own, but this may be another $500 to $1000 for you.

I think you really have to consider what you will really be spending prior to getting a crate engine.

Personally if you can wait on a replacement XJ, I would get a 97+ and get a standard. I've read the autos are good for 200k maybe, which is great for an auto but I hate to see you get that 95 then have to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced.

It's a difficult decision. You could find a 1998 with $150k on it as well. I wish mine was a standard.

Mine has all new parts like belts, hoses, starter, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, shocks, brakes, K&N air filter, battery, distributor, fresh tune up, oil change, air conditioner recharged, and so on.

I think I will send my jeep off to a friends and let them tear into it at their leisure (this way it will only cost me parts and no labor!), start driving my Dodge and look for a second jeep that is a 97+, heck I'm gonna need more than one jeep when the kids start driving in a few years ;)

Melissa
05-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Oh, I found a 2001 with 77,000 miles on it for $6,900 or $7,300 can't remember which, didn't I read somewhere not to get the 2001??

Audio222
05-23-2009, 02:36 PM

I'm going with this one.I just don't feel like typing it all out.

DETOURS
05-23-2009, 05:56 PM
No brainer for my wrenching butt........I'd buy the '95, but for $1,800 if possible......check the underside floors and the area above the converter for rot.....a little rot is ok, but.......theres a fine line. (a'lil rot you can leverage the price, check rockers as well and wheres the ash tray??? lol)

Why do I say buy it?
Cuzz your old Jeep will keep it on the road for years to come, your on a farm so what the heck......"Parts Jeep" fits the mold.....you've got a personal NAPA in your back yard.

Is the new one a standard or auto?

You've got alot of spare parts to consider.......everything from wheel hubs, to a total interior swap...........

I would consider anything '96 or prior.......it'll ALL swap over!! :thumbsup:

Melissa
05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
No brainer for my wrenching butt........I'd buy the '95, but for $1,800 if possible......check the underside floors and the area above the converter for rot.....a little rot is ok, but.......theres a fine line. (a'lil rot you can leverage the price, check rockers as well and wheres the ash tray??? lol)

Why do I say buy it?
Cuzz your old Jeep will keep it on the road for years to come, your on a farm so what the heck......"Parts Jeep" fits the mold.....you've got a personal NAPA in your back yard.

Is the new one a standard or auto?

You've got alot of spare parts to consider.......everything from wheel hubs, to a total interior swap...........

I would consider anything '96 or prior.......it'll ALL swap over!! :thumbsup:

I had also considered the fact that one could be used for parts for the other.

I have no idea where the ash tray is :confused:

Which new one the 95 or the 01?
They are both automatics.

I'm still on the fence as what to do :popcorn:

DETOURS
05-24-2009, 08:49 AM
The 95......ok, so it's an auto.

The '01........very little will swap from your current XJ, if much of anything........:headshake:

2000XJ
05-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Hmmm, $2000 for a '95 with nearly 200k on the odo. I picked up my '01 Limited with 94k on the odo in April for $5500. Most '95s in my area are going for $1500 or less right now with between 150k and 200k on them.

I also don't blame you for having the interior color break the deal. Off the top of my head I've walked away from 6 XJ's that didn't have the color combo I was looking for. It's your vehicle, that you have to drive everyday, get what you want. Be patient, it'll work out for the best.

IMHO, I think that you should get the newest, lowest mileage, best-priced XJ you can find. If it's going to be a daily driver, and see only easy/light trails, then I honestly wouldn't concern myself with which rear axle it has. 8.25's are a dime a dozen and can always be swapped in later on if it gets to a point where you need a beefier axle back there. I personally love the '97+ XJ's because of the additional creature comforts they have, dual airbags, and updated interiors. They're equally as easy to work on as the '96 and older XJ's, and last just as long.

As for the durability and longetivity of the AW4 (auto trans), I'd say that it's nearly as bulletproof as the engine. It will easily last 300k miles as long as you change the fluid regularly. Adding a tranny cool will definately help it live to its fullest potential.

The 5-speed XJ's are harder to find as well, so if you're looking for something to get sooner than later, you may not want to limit it by transmission type.

Just my .02, I wish you alot of luck in getting something you'll be happy with :D