PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disc Brake Upgrade

Jeepster19
05-22-2009, 03:57 PM
I was thinkn of upgrading my rear brakes from drum to disc.I was looking at the Teraflex rear disc brake kit.Is this a good kit to buy and has anyone installed this kit on their xj?I go back and forth to north carolina a good bit so I was thinkn disc brakes on the rear couldn't hurt!:cool:

BudgetXJ
05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
What rearend do you have? If its an 8.25, I'm pretty sure you can find the rear disk set up from a Liberty at a JY and swap them over with little to no modification. The Liberty runs an 8.25 rear as well. I've seen a write-up on it somewhere so I'm sure you could find it with a little searching. Probably on Naxja

firehawk
05-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Just my .02 worth.:rolleyes:

I don't understand the need for disc brakes on the rear of most vehicles. As you stop most of the vehicle weight is transfered to the front, and the front brakes supply the majority of your stopping power. I WILL agree disc brakes are FAR easier to work on, but IMO are overkill on the rear of a vehicle like a Jeep. A Corvette, or the like yes, but a Jeep?

Mudderoy
05-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I've read it makes a big difference in stopping the XJ with 32" or larger tires. Really a must (at least a brake upgrade) for 35".

Voldemort
05-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Oh yea dude if you run 35"s or bigger on a Jeep rear disks are a blessing! The little fronts get beat to death with the big tires. Plus they are alot easier to work on that reason alone it is a good idea. and you can use ZJ rears brakes also with a little modification.

xjjeepthing
05-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I hate my brakes. 9" is way to small for anXJ with lift,tires and other add ons