PDA

View Full Version : roof rack

xj79
11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
what's the heaviest load you can put on a roof rack? either home made or store bought doesnt matter. i'm going to try and put a roof rack that will hold the weight for 3 or 4 men for a hunting rack. any suggestions?

ice_cold
11-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Not sure, but most racks I have seen are in the 150 to 200 pound capacity.
I think its because they bolt onto either the roof or rain gutters.
Now, if you have a inside cage or a exo, then tying to those would let you go higher in capacity.

just my .02

bluedragon436
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
^^ Is pretty much exactly what I was going to say...

xj79
11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
ok if im going to build a cage i'd prefer an exo. but i wouldnt want it to be permanant. id just want the rack for hunting season. i dont know what the best way would be to make that happen.

ice_cold
11-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Take a look at the rack systems used on the Wranglers. They allow you to run a "roof" rack with the top off.
If you have after market bumpers and , say, rocker rails.
You could make a bracket that is attached to the bumper and rails that will allow you to put the rack on and off the truck. The Wranglers us the windshield bracket at the front, you could bent it around to attach to a set of rails.

bluedragon436
11-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I have been thinking of purchasing the C-rok bumpers/sliders... not just because they are pretty stout units... but because they have a exo setup that you can purchase that bolts to them... and can be unbolted and removed farily easily (as easily as a steel cage can be removed anyways)... so when I go for my inspection every two years, I can remove it (as they don't look too kindly towards the exos here).... and then come back and install it right back... will probably look into rigging some hoist up like those they make to remove the hard tops for the Wronglers.... so check out their setup as an idea of what/how to build yours.... http://www.c-rok.com/ec.html

ice_cold
11-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Thats what I was looking at as well...I like how you can buy it in parts and then assemble.