PDA

View Full Version : Tune up time

Mudderoy
05-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Ok it looks like I have solved my occasional miss that I could hear at idle. It was the CPS. I am seeing a increase in gas mileage, jumping the gun here a bit since I haven't completed the tank yet.

Anyway I wanted to do a tune up and maximize any mpg gains I MAY have.

I know the standard champion plugs are the best to use, but is there a preferred cap, rotor, and plug wires?

Jeepster19
05-21-2009, 07:15 AM
When I tuned up my xj I used mopar parts from the dealership.It was sold as a kit,came with wires,cap,rotor.Best of all it was mopar stuff!The kit was even cheaper than the local auto parts store by$6!The kit cost me $42.66 and they delivered to my job!Part# is spc40604-AA Tune Up I 8036001.

Audio222
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Please do not use Champion Plugs. I use to work as a mechanic at a boat shop, now these engines were made to run at 6000rpm all day long. The owner had been a mechanic for 30 something years and we wouldn't even work the engine if it contained Champion Plugs. I have seen those plugs cause so many problems it not funny, also it was the cheapest plug for us to buy. The professional mechanics that I know will not use Champion.

muddeprived
05-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Please do not use Champion Plugs. I use to work as a mechanic at a boat shop, now these engines were made to run at 6000rpm all day long. The owner had been a mechanic for 30 something years and we wouldn't even work the engine if it contained Champion Plugs. I have seen those plugs cause so many problems it not funny, also it was the cheapest plug for us to buy. The professional mechanics that I know will not use Champion.

I been using champion plugs on my jeeps since forever and didn't have a single issue. My 00 Tj came with champion plugs and they lasted 3.5 years before i did another tune-up. These are the preferred plug for our 4.0's.

whowey
05-22-2009, 07:54 AM
I used a Mopar Hi-pro kit the last time I did my XJ... The local dealer had one on the shelf and wanted it gone before inventory. Got it for $21. 8mm wires and a brass cap and rotor...

With dirt cheap Champions. The 4.0l loves them.

Mudderoy
05-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I've run 2 sets of Champion, and one set of some Platinum plug. I'd rather have some sort of fancy spark plug, but I've read over and over to use the Champion, that's why I didn't even ask what plugs I should use. Audio222 thanks for the info. We all have different experiences, and that is why it is great to be able to ask a question of so many people. I really appreciate your information.

I always run the risk of learning something new, and I welcome that opportunity! :D

Melissa
05-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I'll probably get a verbal thrashing for saying this, and don't be afarid to let it out :D

But as far as a tune up I have never paid attention to what I bought as far as tune up stuff. I always head to my ex husband (He works for a parts store) and ask him to set me up with what I need :driving:

Mudderoy
05-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, but you run with scissors, so we'd expect that. :rotfl2:

Melissa
05-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes, but you run with scissors, so we'd expect that. :rotfl2:

Also never learned the rule, don't play with fire :D

Mudderoy
05-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Also never learned the rule, don't play with fire :D

oooo I love playing with fire. :smiley-angry021:

Melissa
05-23-2009, 12:54 PM
oooo I love playing with fire. :smiley-angry021:

I didn't think I'd be the ony one :smiley-gen165:

firehawk
05-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Ok it looks like I have solved my occasional miss that I could hear at idle. It was the CPS. I am seeing a increase in gas mileage, jumping the gun here a bit since I haven't completed the tank yet.

Anyway I wanted to do a tune up and maximize any mpg gains I MAY have.

I know the standard champion plugs are the best to use, but is there a preferred cap, rotor, and plug wires?

The '98's still had a distributor?:confused: Didn't know that. FWTW, I'm not a big fan of Champion plugs either, but have been told to use them in Chrysler vehicles. I tried a set of Bosch Platinum's in my '96 Dakota 3.9, and it ran like poop. Put the OLD Champion plugs back in and it ran fine. That is why when I changed the plugs in my XJ, I went with Champions.

To each his/her own though.:thumbsup:

jeepmedic
10-27-2009, 03:27 PM
not sure where it fits in but i have always used the quad platuim bosch plugs, that whats mainly avaliable at the parts store and they are not that much more expensive, have put them in every truck/jeep/car my family has had and i havent replaced them very many times since i used them.