PDA

View Full Version : Gear ratio?

Jeepster19
05-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on where to find my gear ratio?There are two small tags attatched to the bolts on the rear cover ,they don't look like the ratio.I don't want to pull the rear cover,but if I have to it's ok.Fluid needs to be changed I'm sure as well as the cover gasket&fill plug.Would yall reccomend going to synthetic in the case?:confused:

Mudderoy
05-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm sure someone else will give you the exact answer you are looking for but I thought I'd try to help until then.

If you have ABS then the rear diff is a Dana 35
If you have an automatic your gear ratio is 3.55:1
If you have a standard and a 4 cylinder you may have a gear ratio of 4.10:1

So as long as no one has changed anything from the factory chances are very good that you have 3.55:1.

If you are considering a gear change, and you have a Dana 35 rear end about 99.5% of the people that you ask will tell you to trash it, get another axle and re-gear it.

I personally like the Chrysler 8.25 because there are SOOO many out there.

I found out my axle gearing by requesting a "Build Sheet" from Chrysler. I did so online and it was e-mailed to me within about 3 days of the request.

I did a search for "chrysler build sheet request".

The build sheet is great to have because it tells you about the entire Jeep, not just the axles.

bwebb
05-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey jeepster
In the modified section thier is a thread on gear ratio's.
should answer all your question.
ww

Dirt Dogg Rydas
05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www-5.jeep.com/wccsapp/universal/J/index.jsp?appStr=wccs&titleStr=Contact+Jeep&familyStr=brand&franchise=J&actionURL=%2Fwccs%2Fbrand_forms%2Fus%2Fwebform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U
this web address should help with your build sheet I haven't tried it yet but im sure it'll work for you

Jeepster19
05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I seen your link for the build sheet and requested one,I'll let you know.

Mudderoy
05-20-2009, 01:49 PM
After Dirt Dog put up his post with the Jeep link, I made a sticky in the OEM forum with the link and my build sheet so people will know what to expect.

BudgetXJ
05-20-2009, 02:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on where to find my gear ratio?There are two small tags attatched to the bolts on the rear cover ,they don't look like the ratio.I don't want to pull the rear cover,but if I have to it's ok.Fluid needs to be changed I'm sure as well as the cover gasket&fill plug.Would yall reccomend going to synthetic in the case?:confused:

The tag on my rear cover is missing but the one on the front of both of the xj's I've had have been there and easily legible. I'm sure you have already looked on the front too but I figured I'd post just incase.

2000XJ
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm assuming 6 cyl (4.0L), Auto (AW4)? If so, then 3.55's is what you have in your axles.

4.10 if you've got a manual trans. It's pretty standard for the '97-'01 XJ's. Back in the '80s there were more gear ratio options though.

Mudderoy
05-21-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm assuming 6 cyl (4.0L), Auto (AW4)? If so, then 3.55's is what you have in your axles.

4.10 if you've got a manual trans. It's pretty standard for the '97-'01 XJ's. Back in the '80s there were more gear ratio options though.

I thought the 4.10 was rare for standards. Are the 4.10s the rule or the exception?

BuckB91XJ
05-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Jeepster, there is a really easy way to find your gear ratio without removing the covers. All you need is a jack and a piece of sidewalk chalk. chauk your front wheels, put your tranny in nuetral, jack up the rear axle at the diff. (get both wheels off the ground). Get under the jeep. Mark one of the end caps on your rear DS rear U-joint. make a mark on the tire on the inside bottom, center, near the tire and wheel bead. Turn the DS by hand and count how many revolutions of the DS it takes for one full turn of the tire. 3 turns to 1 mean 3.07:1 gears, 3 and 1/2 turns means 3.55:1 gears, 3 and 3/4 turns means 3.73:1 gears, 4 turns means 4.10 or 4.11:1 gears, Etc. This method works on your front and rear axle.

2000XJ
05-28-2009, 10:02 PM
I thought the 4.10 was rare for standards. Are the 4.10s the rule or the exception?

Now you're making me second guess myself!! I thought they were the standard, but I'm not sure now.

whowey
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
During the AMC era saying anything was standard is funny... Any available ratio was available at anytime. Only the 3.31 "gas miser" was restricted to certain locals.

During the Chryco years they simplified that a bit...

But a 6-cyl with a manual never had 4.10 as "normal" It would have been the 3.07 which was the usual if you didnt order something different.