PDA

View Full Version : Dual Antenna's?

4x4Dalton
10-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey gang need yall's input. Found a set of dual antenna's on craigs list round here. They have the mirror mounts for them and I was wondering can the mounts be made to use as fender mounts instead. Let me know gang dont wanna pass these up if they will work.:smiley-scared002:

4.3LXJ
10-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Dalton, it would help if you posted a link. We have no idea which ones you are referring to.

4x4Dalton
10-09-2010, 02:34 PM
The listing only says they are dual antenna's. Doesnt give any name or anything else to what brand they are.

4.3LXJ
10-09-2010, 02:36 PM
All I can personally say then is that if you make your own brackets, it will work.

Mudderoy
10-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Dual antennas, like the trucker's use, look cool but actually case a transmit and receive pattern that is better to the sides of the vehicle.

So it depends on what you want. Looks cool ok, works well on the highway well not as well as a single antenna placed at the rear passenger side. That antenna pattern would be in the direction of driver's side front, of basically in the face of everyone coming down the highway in the opposite direction to you.

4x4Dalton
10-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I have looked all over for the fender mounts and have had no luck do yall by chance have a link to some?

Mudderoy
10-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I have looked all over for the fender mounts and have had no luck do yall by chance have a link to some?

I don't. I used a ball mount and a 102" whip, but I'm doing the HAM thing.

imehtoh
10-09-2010, 10:24 PM
HA bear ,i run and old school set up and it works great.MAG MT k40,JCP 6247 MODIFIED 40+ channles 40 watts on ssb ,run the freedom band when skip is rollen...found the whole set up on cl for 50.00.works great on the trail..:banana:

4x4Dalton
10-10-2010, 05:20 AM
I have a Realistic Slim 40 channel and a 2ft. Radio Shack Weather Band Antenna right now wasn't sure if the dual's would be better or not. Thanks yall for all the info.:thanx:

Mudderoy
10-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I have a Realistic Slim 40 channel and a 2ft. Radio Shack Weather Band Antenna right now wasn't sure if the dual's would be better or not. Thanks yall for all the info.:thanx:

I was digging around trying to find that "figure 8" radiation pattern I was telling you about and a couple of things came to mine.

The two antennas have to have a certain separation. 9 feet I read one place, for them to work properly. Properly might mean to obtain the proper radiation pattern. Also keep in mind truckers usually have a large metal thing behind them, and having an antenna on either side of this big metal thing might be a help in both transmit and receive even if the pattern is screwy.

Now when they angle the antennas at a 45 degree angle forward so it looks like bull horns, well I can tell you that's just looks bull shit.

Back to the looks. You could do dual antenna and just hook up one. Now you have the cool of two, plus with a roll of spare coax you can hook up to it if you should damage the other antenna!

4x4Dalton
10-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I think for the time being I will stick with the set up I have til it needs replacing. Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

prerunner1982
10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Muddy... this the pattern you were looking for?
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/content_images/fig/3430070303002.png

Also if you want the dual antennas for looks, you could only hook one of them up for use. Get the looks but not the problems.

xj4life2
10-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Bottom line on antennas is the best reception will be mounted dead center of the vehicle so the radiation pattern is true to the rig. Most (like me) mount to the rear as most people I talk to are behind me or close enough in front of me to reach. Radiation pattern can be described as this draw a rectangle (this is your jeep) now make a red dot (this is your antenna) starting around the red dot draw a small circle then graduate to larger ones this is the radiation pattern. This is true for anywhere you mount the antenna. the biggest thing is to get the antenna above the vehicle to avoid the ground plane effect. Back to the duals, they are deaigned so truckers have better ears to the sides both front and back for hyway use. Your needs are different so you need to set the system up differently. I would use a single firestick 3 to 4 feet with a spring mounted to the rear of your jeep. Motion off road has a nice CB antenna mount pricey but nice. Sorry if I'm rambleing hope this helps

gary63
10-11-2010, 08:18 PM
around here we have use 2 antennas with a switch and set 1 for 1-20 and the other 21-40 so we would get a good 1:1 match and very little power loss.
it also would work good if you use 1 for reg. CB 40 and the other for side band upper and lower.

bluedragon436
10-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Heck if nothing else if they are larger ant. they would be worth purchasing so you can install one, and have the other as a spare to install when you damage the other one...

Mudderoy
10-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Heck if nothing else if they are larger ant. they would be worth purchasing so you can install one, and have the other as a spare to install when you damage the other one...

A dual antenna set up should come with a special coax harness. It would only work correctly with dual antennas. So just buy one mount, two antennas and 20 feet of the RG58 or better the mini RG8.

bluedragon436
10-18-2010, 01:24 PM
^^ Or you can do that too... most people who have dual ant. don't hook them up properly... so they don't get proper signal with them... then they complain about the setup...

osfp
09-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Just my 2c the best placement for your antenna is right in the middle of your roof, that way yo use the total ground plane of your rig, mounting on the side makes the antenna more directional, and as for dual antennas you need to run matching coax 75 omh into 50 ohm. and have a seperation of 1/2wave or about 18'. if you are going with duals, go with 102 inch stainless whip, set on channel 20 trim 1/4 inch off at a time to get swr match 1:1 is perfect but anything under 1:5 is acceptable. Try this link and it will explain alot about 11 meter radio. Look up Co phasing
http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/index.html

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Just my 2c the best placement for your antenna is right in the middle of your roof, that way yo use the total ground plane of your rig, mounting on the side makes the antenna more directional, and as for dual antennas you need to run matching coax 75 omh into 50 ohm. and have a seperation of 1/2wave or about 18'. if you are going with duals, go with 102 inch stainless whip, set on channel 20 trim 1/4 inch off at a time to get swr match 1:1 is perfect but anything under 1:5 is acceptable. Try this link and it will explain alot about 11 meter radio. Look up Co phasing
http://signalengineering.com/ultimate/index.html

Yep generally speaking two antennas will give you a figure 8 pattern. That means your lobes will be to the left and right of the vehicle. It isn't so bad if you drive an 18 wheeler with lots of metal blocking the signal from your single antenna (both transmit and receive). On a truck, or a Jeep it really has more to do with looks, I mean unless you do want the directional nature of the set up.

Way back in the late 70's I remember this one guy had dual "trucker" antennas on his truck (regular not big rig) and he had a device that would allow him to phase the antenna! As he turned the knob it would basically change the direction of the lobes electronically. Now that was a neat set up. I never learned the full details of the device, but I believe the military uses a much more sophisticated way of doing this same thing now with radar.

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
I am going to have to get smart about this CB stuff. I am thinking I might need one eventually. Planning on making the head liner mount now.

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 11:33 AM
I am going to have to get smart about this CB stuff. I am thinking I might need one eventually. Planning on making the head liner mount now.

Up high is a great place, at least it was in my full sized truck.

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I dug out a nice long piece of aluminum for the foundation (even though it is on top) for the console. I would like to get a nice small CB to mount sideways I think if I can make it look right and then mount my switches, two rows of eight toward the visor area.

jccatt
09-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Going for looks can you set up four antennae :driving:

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Going for looks can you set up four antennae :driving:

http://forums.radioreference.com/members/k9wss-albums-2001-ford-crown-victoria-police-interceptor-picture642-five-antennas-roof-three-rear-window-two-not-service-four-trunk-lid.jpg

702XJCruiser
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM

I just installed one of these last week. I like it because you can adjust the angle of the antenna with the pivot.
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss274a-adjustable-fendertrunkhatchback-mount-p-583.html?cPath=28_353_430

jccatt
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
http://forums.radioreference.com/members/k9wss-albums-2001-ford-crown-victoria-police-interceptor-picture642-five-antennas-roof-three-rear-window-two-not-service-four-trunk-lid.jpg

Lol, thats got more rods than a fishing trawler. The young guys here do up utes with huge bullbars, lights and antennee

Carves
09-26-2011, 06:16 PM

:D:D

Looks like an echidna with bald spots ....

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Now those guys have some antennae.