PDA

View Full Version : Ironmans customer based prototyping project.

ironmanandy
10-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey Guys I have had several requests to build shackle relocation boxes. XJIV and I came up with an Idea. The prototyping process we use for laser cut and CNC formed parts turns out top notch parts that are the highest quality. The process however is quite expensive to get it from concept to fruition.

So here's the deal. We decided to try a customer financed product development system where, for example, if ten guys on the site say I want a set of shackle relocation boxes laser cut from 1/4 high tensile plate, perfectly formed and ready to install. Then we get these ten guys to say It will cost about 1000.00 to get 10 sets designed programmed cut bent and shipped to ironman4x4fab. That means those ten guys get a $150.00 product for around 100.00

We are going to throw this Idea around and set up a paypal account specifically for this prototyping program.

I am willing to do this because this helps me carry products that you guys want as well as having you be apart of the development process.

I will reserve the right on the final design and whether or not I think its a Viable product because I will be investing a lot of my own resources into this.

We can do this with all kinds of parts including formed bumpers, body armor, shackles, brackets, we are even talking about mirror mounted light tabs. How goofy/cool is that? I have customer requesting those with drawings provided.

I would like to start with the shackle boxes.
Let me know what you think.

Andy
704 796 3502

96xj
10-08-2010, 11:11 PM
i got an idea, what about per bent tube doors and customer welds it together ?

ironmanandy
10-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Not a bad Idea for the future, I am however staying away from bent tube style products for a while.
A

Mudderoy
10-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey Guys I have had several requests to build shackle relocation boxes. XJIV and I came up with an Idea. The prototyping process we use for laser cut and CNC formed parts turns out top notch parts that are the highest quality. The process however is quite expensive to get it from concept to fruition.

So here's the deal. We decided to try a customer financed product development system where, for example, if ten guys on the site say I want a set of shackle relocation boxes laser cut from 1/4 high tensile plate, perfectly formed and ready to install. Then we get these ten guys to say It will cost about 1000.00 to get 10 sets designed programmed cut bent and shipped to ironman4x4fab. That means those ten guys get a $150.00 product for around 100.00

We are going to throw this Idea around and set up a paypal account specifically for this prototyping program.

I am willing to do this because this helps me carry products that you guys want as well as having you be apart of the development process.

I will reserve the right on the final design and whether or not I think its a Viable product because I will be investing a lot of my own resources into this.

We can do this with all kinds of parts including formed bumpers, body armor, shackles, brackets, we are even talking about mirror mounted light tabs. How goofy/cool is that? I have customer requesting those with drawings provided.

I would like to start with the shackle boxes.
Let me know what you think.

Andy
704 796 3502

Sounds great. I think it says a lot that you are willing to try something that people are asking for. Now you guys that have been wanting something like this, or maybe you need to ask a few questions to find out if you need something like this ;) jump in here. Don't let a great opportunity pass you by. I'm sure you guys in the "SALTY" states would really love these.

bigjim350
10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Im not really interested in the shackle boxes, but would get in on many other things, like bumpers, armor, etc.

96xj
10-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Not a bad Idea for the future, I am however staying away from bent tube style products for a while.
A

well it dose not have to be tube what about square stock ? i try to keep every thing on my rig square :thumbsup:

XJ4IV
10-12-2010, 07:54 AM
I think that Im in on this... guys I wanna point out that these shackle boxes are not su mouch for lift purposes but also ride comfort meaning we can adjust these to where our shackles would be at a more ride comfortable 45 degree angle as opposed to the 90 degree angle we are stuck with using our factory location. the 45 angle gives less stress on the shackle before it rotates resulting in a much smoother ride... my .02 cents

Mudderoy
10-12-2010, 09:17 AM
I think that Im in on this... guys I wanna point out that these shackle boxes are not su mouch for lift purposes but also ride comfort meaning we can adjust these to where our shackles would be at a more ride comfortable 45 degree angle as opposed to the 90 degree angle we are stuck with using our factory location. the 45 angle gives less stress on the shackle before it rotates resulting in a much smoother ride... my .02 cents

As it was explained to me it allows for up to 2 inches of more articulation on the rear. I guess we need to get a drawing or something up so people (like me) can visualized it better.

4.3LXJ
10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey guys, let's give Andy a little break. He has his equipment set up around the building of arms, links and such. To get into bent tube stuff he would probably have additional equipment to procure. The shackle boxes are a natural for him. You might want to suggest things like front three link suspensions or even rear coil links etc.

ironmanandy
10-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Its all good ether way, This is just an Idea I am running with to see how it works out.

A properly set up rear shackle will allow for softer ride and more articulation as well as a lot less stress on springs Ill try and get some cad Drawings up this week
A

bluedragon436
10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Def. looking forward to seeing some drawings of this product... Already looking at a few other products from Andy for sure...

4x4troy
10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
ok i NEED these.let me know what you need from me.

drew91xj
12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
x2 on need will be redoing the rear of my xj and will be looking forward to these.

huntingfinatic
01-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I would possibly be interested in your project. Mine is a daily driver back and forth to work 100+ miles a day. Any drawings yet?

ironmanandy
01-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I have not had any time for this lol I am so overwhelmed with the usual.

Its a good thing got be busy but I would prefer to have more time for the creative stuff.
Andy

XJ4IV
01-14-2011, 01:02 AM
well here is a design ANOTHER company has made but Im sure Andy would make a SWEET twist on his
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/M715/Misc%20Projects/IMG_0017.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/M715/Misc%20Projects/IMG_0021.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/M715/Misc%20Projects/IMG_0022.jpg
The different holes would allow for fine tuning for whatever shackles you have including factory and I think up to 6 inch shackles

ironmanandy
01-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I kinda found out who makes these and that I don't want to compete with him.

Hes a pretty cool cat and I'm not in the biz to put others out.

We may just let this one slide
A

bluedragon436
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey nothing wrong with that... sometimes competing just isn't worth it... for you or other people... Either way can't wait to see what other items you come up with for the XJ!!