PDA

View Full Version : Got Dynamite?? I Might Need Some Soon!!

Melissa
05-19-2009, 02:21 AM
I think I have just had the very besy and the very worst weekend ever.

The excellent was that my youngest enjoyed her 11th birthday

She is on the left

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/my%20family/HPIM0567.jpg

And I finally found the pictures of my old 87 Suburban that I have been searching for

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/my%20family/scan0002.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/my%20family/scan0001.jpg

The bad----------------------

My jeep overheated three times

this is where it was running

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/my%20family/HPIM0562.jpg

Sorry the pictures are fuzzy but I was driving down the road at 55-60mph

This is where the temp ended up for most of the drive

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/my%20family/HPIM0564.jpg

Once I got where I was going I had the thermostat replaced with a 160 and pressure washed the radiator, did not help still heated up to the same point.

I decided to limp it home (2 1/2 hours) anyways since I was going to be driving it at night, so I figured I could watch the temp and that it would be alot cooler outside. It was running great and then it started to get really dark (I'm now out in BFE) and I noticed this

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/my%20family/HPIM0568.jpg

Do you see anything except the blue light?

Nope me either, I now have no dash lights, they were working less than a week ago. Now their are not and I have no way really of watching my temp and my speed.

So I used my cell light every once in awhile to check my speed and temp (temp was still running to warm). To make matters worse everything thinks spring has sprung and so I am trying to not run over every mouse, frog, snake, rabbit, coyote, and deer that seems to think the middle of the road is the place to be.

So I really hate to say this but I think my Jeep's days are numbered :eek:, I can not keep pouring money into it, I never had any problems before and especially not over heating until the original motor went bad.

Oh, and to top off the weekend, I also have oil blowing out around the dip stick

So unless something improves George is going to get parked while I think long and hard about what to do with him :(

xjjeepthing
05-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Congrats on the Birthday. Cute kids. As far as the Jeep. Overheating and oil out of the tube. Really sounds like a blown headgasket. The gauges sound like a seperate issue. Fuse?

BlueXJ
05-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Yes you have solved the delima. Blown head gasket is allowing compression to get into the oil in the crankcase thus increasing the internal pressure and blowing oil out the dipstick tube. Couple hundred dollar fix unless the head is cracked from the heat. Then maybe upward of $500. Are you certain the fans were working. That may have caused the overheating. Water pump if it was a cheap AZ pump then the impeller is a cheap stamped steel affair and they flatten out reducing the efficiency of the flow.

BTW cute girls. You are going to need to purchase a baseball bat to keep the boys away very soon.

Mudderoy
05-19-2009, 08:31 AM
I can't remember, but didn't you just have the head replaced? Hopefully it isn't a crack.

Something pilots have to do is carry a flashlight prior to flying. This is so in case the dash lights fail the pilot can still read the instruments at night, or any low light condition. Like when you are in a bad storm.

DETOURS
05-19-2009, 08:50 AM
OUCH!

oh, and your kids are cute, as previously stated.......;)

Melissa
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Thank you for your comments about my girls, they would only let me post one picture of them and they chose the one I did post.

I'm sure that the dash lights are just a fuse, but all I wanted to do was get me jeep home last night and even that turned into a major ordeal.

As for my head yes, I just had the head done about four months ago and this is why I want the dynamite I refuse to do the head again.

The whole reason for this donor motor was because the head on my original motor was cracked in half, so I replaced the motor with the one that was guarnteed as an excellent running motor. Well it was not and I had to have it torn back down and the head fixed. Three months after the head was fixed, I found a crack around one of the bolts on the head, but was told it was only a surface crack, now I am still out $3,000 and basically right back to square one.

I am so frustrated and really depressed over this and right now I do not have the money to do anything about it at this time, so George is just going to have to sit.

Mudderoy
05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Let it sit, then get you a crate motor. Or find you another Jeep.

2000XJ
05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Nice family!

As for the XJ, if you're thinking of moving on, you may want to either try to see how much you can get for it if you sell it, or part it out. Then invest the money into the newest, lowest mileage XJ that you can afford. They're really great vehicles.

It's possible that the headgasket onthe replacement motor you used was also junk.

Mudderoy
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
You're going to talk to the mechanic first though, right? I mean I can't believe he wouldn't fix that for free considering it's be 4 months since he did the job.

If something is cracked that would be a different thing. If it's the block, too bad for you, if it is the head he sold you too bad for him!

Melissa
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Let it sit, then get you a crate motor. Or find you another Jeep.

I'm thinking along those lines

Nice family!

As for the XJ, if you're thinking of moving on, you may want to either try to see how much you can get for it if you sell it, or part it out. Then invest the money into the newest, lowest mileage XJ that you can afford. They're really great vehicles.

It's possible that the headgasket onthe replacement motor you used was also junk.

I had a new head gasket put on when I had to have it torn back down to fix the head.
I won't part it out, but I might consider selling it, for now though I'm going to have the gasket replaced again, then if that does not help I am going to park it and start hunting for another jeep.
I am very picky about what I want as options in my jeep, so it might take awhile to find another, who knows I might end up yet getting a crate motor and just starting all over again with my jeep

Melissa
05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
You're going to talk to the mechanic first though, right? I mean I can't believe he wouldn't fix that for free considering it's be 4 months since he did the job.

If something is cracked that would be a different thing. If it's the block, too bad for you, if it is the head he sold you too bad for him!

My fear is that it is the block, but yes the mech is going to take a look at it in the next few days