PDA

View Full Version : Head work

ice_cold
09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Now that we have everyones head in the gutter...lol

I have to replace the head gasket on the 98. Any tricks or opinions on doing this?
Thinking I should find another head and make sure its square, rather than take a chance that the one on there is square and not warped. That way I dont get brought to a screeching halt , when replacing parts.
Found the FSM on the Great Lakes XJ site...since they did not have a 98, I DL'ed the 99 version.

Noticed that the 00 XJ's have a different head, would one of these be worth the time locating and installing?

Mike

4.3LXJ
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM

I have to replace the head gasket on the 98. Any tricks or opinions on doing this?
Thinking I should find another head and make sure its square, rather than take a chance that the one on there is square and not warped. That way I dont get brought to a screeching halt , when replacing parts.
Found the FSM on the Great Lakes XJ site...since they did not have a 98, I DL'ed the 99 version.

Noticed that the 00 XJ's have a different head, would one of these be worth the time locating and installing?

Mike

I always take mine into a machine shop and have them check the head for warpage, and do the valves. It makes them run like new afterwards.

default83
09-27-2010, 11:39 AM
X2, just run it to a machine shop, for like 100-150 bucks they will fix it if it is warped.

Mudderoy
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Mike

I think the 99 is different. I think the 97/98 are the same.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Mike

No, they are prone to cracking

ice_cold
09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
97/98 are the same...99 is different?
Okay...have to go looking to see if they have a 97 then.

Figured the change was 00, so the 99 would be like the older style. Who knew!?

brandonlp
09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
ive put a head from a 93 ho on to a 96 ho no difference from what i can tell