PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Flush or Not?

Jeepster19
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
My fluid looks like it needs to be changed in my xj.My xj has 148k and my tranny is working fine but I believe in preventive maintainence.I heard they have a machine for flushing tranny fluid,does this work or would it do more harm than good?I used to change mine in the past by dropping the pan and changing the fluid,and changing the filter with it.Something I forgot,do they drop the pan&change the filter when they flush it?:confused:

xjjeepthing
05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
At 148k I wouldn't flush, it could do more harm then good. Just drop the pan and drain and fill.

Audio222
05-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Had mine done at 100,000, new filter but they used a pump on it because if you just pull the pan it will not drain the torque converter. Installed the filter and filled with new fluid and it's ready to go. At 148,000 I would strongly recommend something.

whowey
05-17-2009, 07:32 PM
At 148k a flush is asking for more problems than its really worth.

The filter in an AW-4 is little more than a screen. Unless you have a bunch of band material in the screen changing it really isnt much of gain.

Mudderoy
05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree, I have heard flushing is bad. I have heard that replacing with 100% new fluid is bad, or can be. Last time mine was done they did 50/50.

muddeprived
05-18-2009, 02:29 AM
I flushed mine at 91k. I flushed my dad's old truck at 198k. Both had zero tranny problems. I even had my tj's swamped tranny (with coal, mud, and fish in it) flushed four times to get it clean enough and it was like new afterwards. My tranny guy told me that flushing without changin the filter is bad, flushing with new filter afterwards is ok. He did hear about people saying flushing late in life is bad but he doesn't believe it cuz he's been doing it for 15 years and no one complained of tranny problems after late flushes.

Dropping the pan to drain doesn't get all the fluid out and you are contaminating the new fluid you just put in there. Waste of money IMO.

_StationWagon_
05-18-2009, 05:09 AM
My fluid looks like it needs to be changed in my xj.My xj has 148k and my tranny is working fine but I believe in preventive maintainence.I heard they have a machine for flushing tranny fluid,does this work or would it do more harm than good?I used to change mine in the past by dropping the pan and changing the fluid,and changing the filter with it.Something I forgot,do they drop the pan&change the filter when they flush it?:confused:
I was told by a tranny professional from a large national chain that if there's a problem with your transmission you shouldn't flush because the condition of the fluid is an important tool in diagnosing the problem.

Yeah, I know it doesn't answer your question & I have added nothing useful to your thread. Sorry.

Mudderoy
05-18-2009, 07:16 AM
:nothingtoadd: :smiley-laughing021:

Jeepster19
05-18-2009, 08:05 AM
:thumbsup:Thanks for all yall's input,you guys are great!That's on my list of next to do!

Mudderoy
05-18-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm glad you asked about this. Like I said I have just "heard" about it, never experienced a failure after a flush. I need to change the fluid in my transmission, hmmm I wonder if I could even go to a synthetic!?!?!

muddeprived
05-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm glad you asked about this. Like I said I have just "heard" about it, never experienced a failure after a flush. I need to change the fluid in my transmission, hmmm I wonder if I could even go to a synthetic!?!?!

I'm wondering the same. Is it worth it? I mean my aw4 is flawless right now running regular ol dex fluid.

Jeepster19
05-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing.Let me know if you find anything out about the syn fluid,Thanks!:thumbsup:

Voldemort
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
My Red XJ is the auto and when you put in gear it does a little jump? what could cause that?

Mudderoy
05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
My Red XJ is the auto and when you put in gear it does a little jump? what could cause that?

Are your RPMs normal? 700 rpm?

How does it act when you put it into reverse?

DETOURS
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Most 'Flushings' are reverse flushing, pushing the fluid backwards through the system..........I've never heard anything positive myself, I've heard many complaints from Ford owners in the past, resulting in major issues.

Personally I'd simply drain the system, change filter, call it done.

Synthetics are known to drop tranny temp's.......popular in diesels like my Ford when used for towing........try it, synthetics will blend with the fluid left in your converter so no worries there.....

Voldemort
05-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Are your RPMs normal? 700 rpm?

How does it act when you put it into reverse?

Yea it ideals at about 800rpm and I think it does it in reverse also. You think it may be the tranny mount The shocks are shot and I'm waiting for the lift to put the new pro comps on. Maybe that is causing it? IDK??

BudgetXJ
05-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Most 'Flushings' are reverse flushing, pushing the fluid backwards through the system..........I've never heard anything positive myself, I've heard many complaints from Ford owners in the past, resulting in major issues.

Personally I'd simply drain the system, change filter, call it done.

Synthetics are known to drop tranny temp's.......popular in diesels like my Ford when used for towing........try it, synthetics will blend with the fluid left in your converter so no worries there.....

x2. I wouldn't do a flush at 148k I have seen a tranny that was working fine go south after a flush on a few occasions. It might have been coincidence but if it were my Jeep, I wouldn't chance it. Drop pan, change filter, refill with fluid of your choice (as long as it complies with factory recommendations) and call it good.

Jeepster19
05-20-2009, 05:53 AM
You are quite welcome!:thumbsup: