PDA

View Full Version : cutting out

default83
09-24-2010, 07:44 AM
hey guys, i know i have a TJ, but i have an issue maybe you guys can spread light on, because i cant figure it out.

every once in a while driving down the interstate my jeep will cut out, like lose all power, BUT when it happens i do not see the RPM's drop it will act like its locking up or something, i dont know how to explain it, it does it twice in a row when it does do it.

it only happens every once in a while and it only last for like 2 seconds if that, then back to normal driving as if nothing every happened. i have the 4 banger with 30/35 and 4" lift, SYE and driveshaft. nothing out of the ordinary as far as suspension so i have no idea, i dont think it is the motor.

Mudderoy
09-24-2010, 08:40 AM
hey guys, i know i have a TJ, but i have an issue maybe you guys can spread light on, because i cant figure it out.

every once in a while driving down the interstate my jeep will cut out, like lose all power, BUT when it happens i do not see the RPM's drop it will act like its locking up or something, i dont know how to explain it, it does it twice in a row when it does do it.

it only happens every once in a while and it only last for like 2 seconds if that, then back to normal driving as if nothing every happened. i have the 4 banger with 30/35 and 4" lift, SYE and driveshaft. nothing out of the ordinary as far as suspension so i have no idea, i dont think it is the motor.

I doubt this is your issue, but I'll throw it out anyway. The ONLY time I have had anything like this happen was when the connector was lose going to the coil. With that said, I bet a CPS, or CKS, coil, would all act like that.

4.3LXJ
09-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Since the tach works, I will say that the coil and all the ignition is working. That leaves fuel. It would be interesting to have a fuel gauge hooked up to see what happens to fuel pressure when this happens. Check your connection to the fuel pump, clean it up and use some dielectric grease on it.

xjrev10
09-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I had a 98 Cherokee that would do that. But once it did it, it would keep doing it till you put the pedal to the floor or shut the rig off and restarted. Turned out the fuel pressure regulator was B.O. and one injector was bad.