PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Who has a transmission cooler? What brand and model?

On the way home from the shop today I was running down I-10 at 70 mph (A/C on). It was partly cloudy and hot outside, 90's. My engine temp was 215 (about).

It was a steady 70 as in cruise control. I hit a jam due to an accident close to my exit. I sat is a huge traffic tie up for 30 minutes and in the full sun. I moved maybe a mile in that time. My temp went down! Just below 210. So when moving forward my temp goes above 210, and almost sitting still my temp drops below 210.

So I'm thinking that I need to cool the transmission better as it is generating the extra heat.

Whadda you think!?!?!?

BTW, I already have a OEM transmission cooler, so I'm thinking it will be easier to hook up a larger one.

Update: I am running a CFS 3 core radiator, which is why (I think) the temp drops back down. ;)
I forgot to mention, I am running 4.56 gears with 32" tires. I was doing about 2800 rpm at 70 mph. I'm sure this is part of the reason for the increased temps, but I don't think it would be the only reason.

xjjeepthing
05-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a universal cooler I got from NAPA. I plan on adding a gauge to my trans this summer.

Audio222
05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't know what the brand is but that and a 3 core radiator were my first mods. I have never had a overheating problem.

Voldemort
05-16-2009, 07:28 PM
It is on my to-do list so let me know how it works and what you get.

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't know what the brand is but that and a 3 core radiator were my first mods. I have never had a overheating problem.

Yep, this is an excellent first step. I upgraded to a 3 core last year, but I'm still seeing the temp spike.

xjjeepthing
05-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Pretty much what I did

http://www.jeepin.com/features/trannycooler/

Gauge that I have
http://www.jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Pretty much what I did

Gauge that I have

Yeah I think a gauge would be awesome. Trans and oil temps would be great.

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I just ordered the B&M tranny cooler. I went to JEGS first, $0 shipping but a $9 handling charge!?!?!?! SummitRacing next and at least they called it a shipping charge, but also $9.

A little more searching and I found it on Amazon, for free shipping and NO handling charge, so I got it for $46.75.

I read several things people had to say about it and they were all very good.

We'll see if this drops my temps while driving at highway speeds. At the very least it will improve the cooling for the trans, which has to be a good thing.

xjjeepthing
05-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Kool, I want to get a pillar pod for the gauge

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Kool, I want to get a pillar pod for the gauge

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to have a 3 pod, but I think only 2 is available for the XJ. Oil Temp, Trans Temp, and Vacuum

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Pretty much what I did

Gauge that I have

Ooooo I like that gauge. That looks really simple, plus it's electrical. The last gauge I ran to under my dash was on a 1972 Nova. It was an oil pressure gauge and the oil ran from the 327 through the nylon tube to the back of the gauge! Yes, early 80's.

whowey
05-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Ooooo I like that gauge. That looks really simple, plus it's electrical. The last gauge I ran to under my dash was on a 1972 Nova. It was an oil pressure gauge and the oil ran from the 327 through the nylon tube to the back of the gauge! Yes, early 80's.

Hahahaha....

Same thing for me... On a 62 Chevy II....

firehawk
05-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Just my .02 worth. Your transimssion is not generating any additional heat sitting still. So I can't see it is the transmission causing your high temps. Since it cools back down when you are moving, and the engine and transmission is under a load, ie generating MORE heat, I would tend to think it might be the water pump. It would seem you are not moving enough coolant thru the engine to remove the heat and transfer it to the radiator at idle. But while moving, enough air is moving thru the radiator to lower your temps.

Mine runs about the thickness of the gauge needle below 210 almost all the time. While sitting in traffic on a hot day, with the A/C on the temp is about the thickness of the needle above 210. It will drop back down once I start moving.

I assume your electric fan was running while the A/C was on?

Again, my .02 worth.

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Just my .02 worth. Your transimssion is not generating any additional heat sitting still. So I can't see it is the transmission causing your high temps. Since it cools back down when you are moving, and the engine and transmission is under a load, ie generating MORE heat, I would tend to think it might be the water pump. It would seem you are not moving enough coolant thru the engine to remove the heat and transfer it to the radiator at idle. But while moving, enough air is moving thru the radiator to lower your temps.

Mine runs about the thickness of the gauge needle below 210 almost all the time. While sitting in traffic on a hot day, with the A/C on the temp is about the thickness of the needle above 210. It will drop back down once I start moving.

I assume your electric fan was running while the A/C was on?

Again, my .02 worth.

It was the opposite. It ran hotter running down the road at 70 mph, and it cooled to a needle's width below 210 sitting still. That is why I think it is the transmission. Of course the A/C is generating extra heat as well.

firehawk
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Whoops....MY bad, I read your post wrong.:cool: Disregard my ramblings:D

Mudderoy
05-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Whoops....MY bad, I read your post wrong.:cool: Disregard my ramblings:D

But is that what Jack would say? Hmmm maybe Jack Black.

muddeprived
05-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Who has a transmission cooler? What brand and model?

On the way home from the shop today I was running down I-10 at 70 mph (A/C on). It was partly cloudy and hot outside, 90's. My engine temp was 215 (about).

It was a steady 70 as in cruise control. I hit a jam due to an accident close to my exit. I sat is a huge traffic tie up for 30 minutes and in the full sun. I moved maybe a mile in that time. My temp went down! Just below 210. So when moving forward my temp goes above 210, and almost sitting still my temp drops below 210.

So I'm thinking that I need to cool the transmission better as it is generating the extra heat.

Whadda you think!?!?!?

BTW, I already have a OEM transmission cooler, so I'm thinking it will be easier to hook up a larger one.

Update: I am running a CFS 3 core radiator, which is why (I think) the temp drops back down. ;)
I forgot to mention, I am running 4.56 gears with 32" tires. I was doing about 2800 rpm at 70 mph. I'm sure this is part of the reason for the increased temps, but I don't think it would be the only reason.

I think you are good if you have the factory tranny cooler. I wouldn't worry much unless you are shifting constantly. I would just keep fresh fluid in that tranny and run your oem cooler. 210 is normal on the cherokees and a little above and below won't hurt it. I run 210-220 on hot days. My TJ ran the same temp too.

firehawk
05-17-2009, 02:09 PM
But is that what Jack would say? Hmmm maybe Jack Black.

Jack Black.....ugh!:headbag:

Jack Bauer would say....DAMN IT!:D

Mudderoy
05-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I think you are good if you have the factory tranny cooler. I wouldn't worry much unless you are shifting constantly. I would just keep fresh fluid in that tranny and run your oem cooler. 210 is normal on the cherokees and a little above and below won't hurt it. I run 210-220 on hot days. My TJ ran the same temp too.

Well I am used to just a hair below the 210. It was that way for years. Now that I have lifted and put the larger tires on it goes well above 210 on hot summer days at highway speeds. I can't help but worry that a temp that I think is already to hot, it going to shorten the already long life many of the XJ parts have seen.

I've already ordered the tranny cooler, so I think it will be a good thing for the transmission either way. Hopefully this is the answer and if not I'll keep trying.

BlueXJ
05-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I have a Hayden 1 Ton GMC truck cooler. It works well. I have the 2 guage pod and oil/tranny temp guages and plan on putting it in when I finish my shop, so I have a place and time. Might tade the oil temp for a vacuum guage b/c I don't want to pull the oil pan and weld in a bung to put the sender into. Vacuum may help me keep my fuel mileage up and my foot off the skinny pedal too.

Mudderoy
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I was trying to find a write up on the oil temp gauge install. I didn't find one, didn't search all that long. If I have to weld something to the oil pan screw it. I don't know how important oil temp is anyway, I'm mean if it isn't a race car. Yeah that's an easy decision then, vacuum gauge.

BlueXJ
05-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Well the sender that came with my guage is designed to be in the oil flow and I see no other place to install it. I was just assuming the bung/pan thing was the only way.

kryptonitexj
05-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Mudd,
I run a a Hayden Stacked plate tranny cooler for a 40,000lb truck from Hi/Lo.
I also have an "A" pillar mounted gauge pod with Trans temp and Air to fuel ratio. One Of the best mods I have ever done. I plan to order a single gauge pod and modifying it to fit next to the Dual to give me a total of three pods.:thumbsup:

P.s. I run the temp sensor on the return line to the trans. So that i know what temp Fluid i'm feeding the tranny. http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww133/kryptonite9385/aaa-1.jpg

muddeprived
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Well I am used to just a hair below the 210. It was that way for years. Now that I have lifted and put the larger tires on it goes well above 210 on hot summer days at highway speeds. I can't help but worry that a temp that I think is already to hot, it going to shorten the already long life many of the XJ parts have seen.

I've already ordered the tranny cooler, so I think it will be a good thing for the transmission either way. Hopefully this is the answer and if not I'll keep trying.

Keep in mind, bigger tires and lifts put more load on the motor and tranny so a little more heat produced is expected from the extra work.

Like i said in another thread long ago, an easy way to reduce temps is to run your coolant hoses from the motor all the way to the rear of the jeep and back to the motor. :D That'll drop it about 5-7 degrees. At least it did to mine :)

Mudderoy
05-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Keep in mind, bigger tires and lifts put more load on the motor and tranny so a little more heat produced is expected from the extra work.

Like i said in another thread long ago, an easy way to reduce temps is to run your coolant hoses from the motor all the way to the rear of the jeep and back to the motor. :D That'll drop it about 5-7 degrees. At least it did to mine :)

I hear ya, it makes sense. That is why I put in a 3 core radiator, but that didn't fix the issue.

I'm starting to wonder if the A/C is cooling at to high a rate. More cooling means more heat, and that is more heat at the condensor which means more heat next to the radiator.

My temp at the center vent is 37 degrees! I almost lost a testicle!

Voldemort
05-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah I think a gauge would be awesome. Trans and oil temps would be great.

Hell I have to get the stock gauges to work right on the RED XJ before I add more! HA Also don't they have a oil temp sender that can hook up at the filter?

UKJeepThang
05-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Pretty much what I did

Gauge that I have

I've got exactly the same as Jason has done on Jeepin.com. Works great:thumbsup:

kryptonitexj
05-20-2009, 07:53 AM
I would just put a "T" where the oil pressure sensor is and then put my oil temp sensor in the "T" and Oil pressure also. That is how I would do it.:drool:

bwebb
05-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Nice informitive thread guys keep it up the great work..
As always I enjoy the forum with my 1st and 2nd cup of morning coffee.:popcorn:

Mudderoy
05-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Well I received the B&M tranny cooler today. Boy is it tiny. I'm surprised. It seems to be made very well. Not like a radiator at all, very solid.

I wish I had a transmission gauge now. I'd like to know the before and after temps. I guess it will be good enough just to know it will be cooler.

I read something interesting in the installation instructions. They say to put it in line with any OEM cooling. At first I thought they meant the radiator, but as I read I understood them to mean any factory tranny cooler.

Sure I guess so, the more cooling the better. I guess the oem cooler is about 1/3 the size of the B&M.

I'll try to take some installation pictures.

Mudderoy
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok I've read the 1 page instruction sheet carefully. It says "We recommend mounting your cooler in series with your present OEM cooler in the radiator tank."

They make no indication about a OEM external to the radiator tranny cooler.

I'm taking this to mean, remove the OEM external tranny cooler and replace it with the B&M.

What do you think?

Bighorncrag
05-24-2009, 12:14 AM
I personally wouldn't remove any cooling capacity. Leave the OEM cooler where it is and add the B&M in series. The one thing to bypass if any is the cooling tank on the "oil heater" aka radiator. Heat is the #1 enemy and killer of transmissions. Good idea for getting a gauge. I'm sure you've looked at the Jeep Tech write up where the B&M was mounted out front between the grill and AC condenser. I too have ordered the B&M via amazon (thanks for that suggestion, didn't know amazon carried automotive).

Mudderoy
05-24-2009, 12:30 AM
They actually had a good price on a Superwinch epi9.0 that I want. $0 shipping was the biggest thing. I just didn't have to pennys at the time. That free shipping means a lot. Yeah I want a gauge but that will have to wait. I guess I'll leave the OEM tranny cooler on there, thanks.

mizedog
05-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Ok, I'm confused. I though the OEM tranny cooler was inside the radiator where it couldn't be seen. I have what looks like an aftermarket tranny cooler infront of my radiator. Could this be an a/c condensor (I don't think so)? I will climb under the Jeep later to confirm but thought you all would know right by a picture.
You might be able to see it here at the upper right corner by the swirl effect:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Mizedog/P1010019-1-1-1-1.jpg

Also, who makes the XJ A-pillar pod, and where can I get one?

Thanks.

BuckB91XJ
05-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Up model 4.0 XJs that came with the AW4 auto tranny from the Renix era (1987-1990), have aux. tranny coolers on them. I snagged the one from the 1989 Cherokee Laredo parts XJ my son has. I've not had an overheating issue since installing my CFS 3 core radiator a couple of years ago but, I know slow speed wheeling is murder on an auto tranny. So, I added this aux. cooler just as a little added insurance. I've read you can snag a tranny cooler out of a Dodge Ram pickup to use in your XJ as well. I'm planning on adding a Tranny fluid temp. gauge soon, too.

BuckB91XJ
05-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok, I'm confused. I though the OEM tranny cooler was inside the radiator where it couldn't be seen. I have what looks like an aftermarket tranny cooler infront of my radiator. Could this be an a/c condensor (I don't think so)? I will climb under the Jeep later to confirm but thought you all would know right by a picture.

Thanks.

Your tranny cooler is inside your OEM radiator but, earlier model XJs that came with the towing package also had a aux. tranny cooler mounted in front, center, bottom of the radiator. It's a small finned unit about 5x8 inches square. there is a larger finned unit in front of the radiator, too if you have AC.

Melissa
05-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks.

Whats an A-pillar pod?

Light mounts??

If A-pillar light mounts is what your looking for then Howler_GT has some in his vendor thread :thumbsup:

Oh and btw I also have and OEM tranny cooler on the outside of my radiator and my xj is a 93

TeXJ
05-24-2009, 04:42 PM
very nice thread. Im putting this on my to-do list :D

Mudderoy
05-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm going to try and have it on my done list. I just got back from the auto parts store.

I got two more (4 in the pack) 3/8" hose clamps. I still don't understand why B&M only puts 4 in the kit when there are 6 clamping points.

firehawk
05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the A/C is cooling at to high a rate. More cooling means more heat, and that is more heat at the condensor which means more heat next to the radiator.

My temp at the center vent is 37 degrees! I almost lost a testicle!

That can't happen. The system can only absorb so much heat and can only rid itself of so much heat. IF the condenser is blocked, and it cannot rid itself of excess heat, the head pressure will reach a point that the compresser will lock up.:thumbdown: NOT good as you would cook the serpentine belt. If you are low on freon, the system will not cool since there is not enough gas to absorb the heat from the inside of the vehicle. If it is overcharged it will not be able to "flash" all the liquid freon in the evaporator and will not cool as it should, and you risk some liquid getting back to the compressor. AGAIN, not good as you cannot compress a liquid.

37* at a vent is pretty normal. My wife's old Sable will get down closer to 34-35* which is VERY good for 134a.

:smiley-laughing021:You should keep your testicle's covered up!!!:smiley-laughing021:

mizedog
05-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks.
I took another look at this and think it's an aftermarket cooler. It tapped into the rubber hose that goes to the top, driver's corner of the radiator. It doesn't look like a stock set up. So, the hardline comes from the tranny, turns into rubber, goes to the cooler in front of the radiator, then comes back into the hardline that enters the radiator. I wonder if this ruber section would be a good place to place a temp gauge sending unit...

Mudderoy
05-25-2009, 09:42 AM
I have two, and after I add the aftermarked I'll have three tranny coolers.

1) The radiator
2) The OEM tranny cooler (I'll try to get pictures up today)
3) B&M tranny cooler.

Mudderoy
05-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Done. Started about 6pm, got finished about 9:30. I almost couldn't get it in there with the OEM tranny cooler. What was really nice though I didn't have to cut any lines. I just removed the line going to the OEM cooler (standard hose clamp, and put the new cooler in line with it.

Drove down the highway at 70 mph for about 5 miles, 2800 rpm. Temp climbed well above 210, about 2 needles width. When I looped back I turned off the A/C and the temp dropped about a needles width to just above 210.

I IR scanned the A/C condenser, OEM tranny cooler and the aftermarket cooler.

The A/C condenser was about 90 degrees, the OEM tranny cooler was about 120 degrees, and the new tranny cooler was 153 degrees!

I could feel that it was much hotter than the oem cooler when I was letting it idle watching for leaks.

I guess that aluminium is a much better conductor.

Well I guess the next step will be the high flow water pump. I think the engine is just generating a lot of heat because of the larger tires and wheels. At least now the transmission won't have to suffer due to the higher heat.

Mudderoy
05-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Ok the tranny cooler didn't take care of the coolant temp running above 210. So my next step is going to be a new water pump. I really want the Hesco, but at $170 before shipping, ahhhh no.

I was looking on summit and saw the "Flow Kooler" for $112 plus shipping. It is a high flow design. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this water pump?

TeXJ
05-26-2009, 05:26 PM
where the tranny cooler will come in handy is when you're pulling or crawling.

Mudderoy
05-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Ok sorry for the delay with the picture. Here is my B&M transmission cooler installed. As I mentioned previously I now have 3 transmission coolers. In this picture you can see the B&M and the OEM cooler.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/xjtrannycooler1.jpg

Melissa
05-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Is the aftermarket tranny cooler a stand alone or does it connect in with the radiator and oem tranny cooler??

did I make sense??

Mudderoy
05-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Well you have a choice. You can make it a stand alone, disconnecting the lines from the radiator (and OEM cooler if you have one) or you can connect them all together.

I was advised, by someone here, just to hook it up with the other two coolers.

BlueXJ
05-31-2009, 12:28 AM
^^^That is the usual way to do it unless you have a manual tranny radiator in your auto XJ.

Melissa
05-31-2009, 01:03 AM
Okay than I'll have it run with the others.

When I add another tranny cooler, that's going make three for me as well (oem tranny cooler, radiator, and aftermarket tranny cooler) won't that be too much stuff blocking the radiator?? Is the radiator going to get enough air to it??

Bighorncrag
06-07-2009, 11:44 PM
The aftermarket cooler will not hinder air flow to and through the radiator, unless of course it's plugged up. Just make sure that the aftermarket cooler is the last in line before the fluid re-enters the tranny. If you run the fluid through the aftermarket before the fluid enters the cooler on the radiator, you'll defeat the purpose by re-heating the fluid before sending it back to the tranny. Hope that's helpful.

Voldemort
11-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Can you use a big cooler alone with out using the one in the radiator??

Mudderoy
11-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Can you use a big cooler alone with out using the one in the radiator??

It has been recommended to me that I do just that, remove the lines going to the radiator. As a remedy of my heat creep engine coolant issue. I would be nervous about doing so if I didn't have a transmission temp gauge installed first though.

There is a way to hook it up so that it only goes through the radiator if the transmission is too cold. I like this idea because it should give you the best off both worlds.

For an off road rig I wouldn't worry about it. Worse case I'd put a small fan on the tranny cooler, I'd still do the gauge though.

Voldemort
11-09-2009, 02:35 AM
It has been recommended to me that I do just that, remove the lines going to the radiator. As a remedy of my heat creep engine coolant issue. I would be nervous about doing so if I didn't have a transmission temp gauge installed first though.

There is a way to hook it up so that it only goes through the radiator if the transmission is too cold. I like this idea because it should give you the best off both worlds.

For an off road rig I wouldn't worry about it. Worse case I'd put a small fan on the tranny cooler, I'd still do the gauge though.

Well this will be on my current project which will be driven on road, I just figured it may work better and help with cooling?

Mudderoy
11-09-2009, 02:41 AM
Well this will be on my current project which will be driven on road, I just figured it may work better and help with cooling?

Well I think it would help with the engine cooling, not so sure about the tranny though. :D

Voldemort
11-09-2009, 02:56 AM
Well I think it would help with the engine cooling, not so sure about the tranny though. :D

I would hope it would help both.:stars:

Mudderoy
11-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I would hope it would help both.:stars:

Well I installed the tranny cooler on mine. Not sure if it helped the tranny but it did nothing to help cool the engine coolant, which was my goal.

It could be a placement issue though. I mean it is installed in front of the condenser and the radiator, and damn that sucker gets hot!

I'm thinking about moving it down behind the grill in my custom winch bumper. Only problem is it isn't open behind the grill. Either way I need to get a gauge.