PDA

View Full Version : '99 XJ Stiff Steering

wildbill1
09-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi, new guy here with a question I can't find the answer to by searching.

I just bought a '99 XJ with approx. 118,000 miles on it. The steering seems stiff to me and it is very reluctant to center itself after turning. The power steering fluid looks clean and the PS makes no noise when turning. Everything possible has been greased (except ungreasable lower ball joints)and appears to have been well maintained prior to my purchasing the vehicle.

The Jeep steers fine at highway speed and doesn't seem to have any looseness at all. The steering damper looks to be brand new.

Any idea what I should be checking or is that just how XJ's are?

Mudderoy
09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi, new guy here with a question I can't find the answer to by searching.

I just bought a '99 XJ with approx. 118,000 miles on it. The steering seems stiff to me and it is very reluctant to center itself after turning. The power steering fluid looks clean and the PS makes no noise when turning. Everything possible has been greased (except ungreasable lower ball joints)and appears to have been well maintained prior to my purchasing the vehicle.

The Jeep steers fine at highway speed and doesn't seem to have any looseness at all. The steering damper looks to be brand new.

Any idea what I should be checking or is that just how XJ's are?

Welcome! Don't worry about the "pre-flame" disclaimers! I or the moderators will search for you! :smiley-laughing021:

I recently had a lot of play in my steering. I thought that perhaps after 3 years of 32x11.5 mudders and tight turns that my steering box was seeing some wear. So I adjusted the steering box. In the driveway it was fine but when I went to drive it, I had to turn the wheel to make a turn, then I had to turn the wheel to make it go straight again!!!! Tooo tight!

I made a "U" turn when back to the house, and 10 minutes later it would center itself again. Ultimatly I found the problem wasn't with the steering box, so it feels like I'm driving a tank now. I need to loosen up the adjustment more, which I'll do by this weekend.

I'll have some pictures up on it when I re-adjust it. Basically you remove the electric fan, and you'll see a nut on the top of the steering box, pretty close to the radiator. There is a "torx" adjustment screw in the middle of that nut.

You loosen the nut, holding the torx screw in place. Once the nut is lose turn the torx screw about a 1/4 turn counter clockwise. If you leave the A/C off you shouldn't need the electric fan for aux cooling. Take it for a quick test drive and adjust the torx screw until it self centers.

Once you are happy with it, tighten up the nut (keep the torx screw from turning). Put the electric fan back and happy motoring!!!! Oh double check that the electric fan comes on by turning your A/C on. Better to find out now that you have it put back correctly! :thumbsup:

wildbill1
09-09-2010, 02:20 PM
I've tried loosening the steering box lash adjustment, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I just got back from talking to the guys at the parts store I use and they suggested that it might be the u-joints in the front axle shafts. I guess I'll have to jack it up and start poking around.

Mudderoy
09-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I've tried loosening the steering box lash adjustment, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I just got back from talking to the guys at the parts store I use and they suggested that it might be the u-joints in the front axle shafts. I guess I'll have to jack it up and start poking around.

Please let us know what the final solution is. :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
09-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I doubt the axle shaft joints are the problem unless they are practically welded. You may just have low pressure at the pump. But, what do you consider stiff? Also centering is more than likely a result of not enough castor which is what centers the steering.

wildbill1
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I took the Jeep to my buddy's alignment shop and asked them to diagnose it for binding in the front end. They called me back in an hour and told me that it is the u-joints in the front axles. I've been busy the last few days and haven't had a chance to change them. I'll report back with the results when i pull the front shafts.

wildbill1
09-29-2010, 04:39 AM
I pulled the front axle shafts and found that one of them was a little "notchy", so I decided to replace the joints while I had them out. It turned out that the one that didn't feel right did have one bearing cup that was full of rust.

The axle u-joints weren't the real problem, though. The ball joints on the passenger side were pretty much frozen. Pressing in a new set of ball joints seems to have solved the issue. The steering is now much easier and the steering wheel returns to center nicely after making a turn. I'll take it back to the alignment shop later this week and get the alignment done. I think the problem is solved.

Mudderoy
09-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I pulled the front axle shafts and found that one of them was a little "notchy", so I decided to replace the joints while I had them out. It turned out that the one that didn't feel right did have one bearing cup that was full of rust.

The axle u-joints weren't the real problem, though. The ball joints on the passenger side were pretty much frozen. Pressing in a new set of ball joints seems to have solved the issue. The steering is now much easier and the steering wheel returns to center nicely after making a turn. I'll take it back to the alignment shop later this week and get the alignment done. I think the problem is solved.

Thanks for the follow up. Funny your description of the problem was just like what I experienced after making the lashing too tight on the steering box. :thumbsup: