PDA

View Full Version : MIG Welding Techniques

4.3LXJ
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/images/industry_interests/migbasics/IMG_9605.jpg

For all you do it yourself fabricators, here is a good article on basic MIG welding techniques.

Miller - MIG Welding: The Basics for Mild Steel (http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/MIG-Welding-The-Basics-for-Mild-Steel/) :link: (http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/MIG-Welding-The-Basics-for-Mild-Steel/)

LizardRunner
03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Miller articles are simply the best. Thanks for putting up this link. I use gas and TIG but am going to get a mig sometime.

LizardRunner
03-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Miller tech articles are simply supper. I use gas and TIG now but want a MIG to go along with them for things like quickness and fillet welds. They make quick work of putting spot welds in place too.

DETOURS
03-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Personally.....I think MIG welding has been "dumbified" over the last 6 years, I've seen some horrible crap on forums yet the industry keeps promoting the 'do it your selfer' to sell machines, and folks on forums say "oh, thats a sweet weld'......not knowing their arss from their elbo......it can be frustrating to the trained eye......sorry, bit of a rant I guess.

4.3LXJ
03-11-2011, 08:08 PM
I agree Mark. I have seen some real crappy MIG welds from guys that go buy an inexpensive machine and then point and press the trigger. Welding even with a MIG takes practice.

BlueXJ
03-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Welding of any type takes, PRACTICE, PRACTICE & more PRACTICE.

4.3LXJ
03-11-2011, 09:39 PM
My advice to newbies is to take a class at a Community College, then build that bumper or sliders.

bluedragon436
03-12-2011, 01:22 PM
My advice to newbies is to take a class at a Community College, then build that bumper or sliders.

This is my plan... may not keep that bumper/slider on my Jeep... but will build another one that will stay on there... if I don't end up purchasing one first... too bad my local community college doesn't have any type of fab course too...

Metlic53
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM

i'm taking the welding class in the fall :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
03-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Glad to hear it. You won't be sorry you did. And you will have much better stuff when you do go to make it. Once you get your skills down, we can give you some fabrication pointers.

modestmar00xj
03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
good knowledge on how to do some basic welds! now i just have to get a welder!

PolarXJ
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Here's another site with videos.
WELDING (http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/)

PolarXJ
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the link!

LizardRunner
04-25-2011, 11:43 AM
X3 on PRACTICE. Anytime I haven't had a particular welder in my hand for a while (like a week) I pull out scrap plates and do some straight beads then do some angles just to make sure my technique is up to my own standards (which I've been told are way to high, lol how can that be?) I also practice before hand when I'm going to do an odd angle or upside down welding.

I am one of those that didn't go through a "Class" I was taught on site. Practice was all I did for quite a while the first time cause I was to be certified for steam pipe and oil tank welding. I would never recomend anyone get into welding the way I did, took me another year of reading every welding manual I could find to get my knowledge base up to my own standards. Now I can weld everything from cast iron to inconel, but I still practice before I start the welds on any project.

I've been told that I also handle a cutting torch better than most, LOL. don't know who they were comparing me too but I think I am just decient.

4x4Dalton
05-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks yall for all the comments and info. I am thinkin of takin a weldin class myself.

osfp
10-20-2011, 08:54 PM
The trouble with short circiut mig welding is that if you don't remove the mill scale the penitration isn't very good, you might have a really pretty weld but it won't hold squat. The cleaner the metal the better the weld, but that goes for all welding. I like dual shield , tig and stick for any kind of fabrication welding. mig is good for sheet metal.
just my 2 cents

jccatt
10-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Did my rear bar with the mig. First thing i learnt at the course was clean metal. It gos without saying for my welding now.

702XJCruiser
10-24-2011, 02:04 PM
One day when I have the time and the money I'd like to get the equipment and the lessons to make myself some lightweight aluminium under armour.

4.3LXJ
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
It is easily done with a MIG. But you have to set it up for aluminum with a short gun and nylon liner.

prcjeep
10-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the link!

Did you thank yourself for the link you posted??? lol

jgreen
03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
great post I agree there are too many guys out there who pick up a welder and think they are master fabricators

MudRaider
06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the links, those who posted them. Self-taught and supervised by certified welders, I feel comfortable with my stick skills. Need to get a mig, especially for any body work stuff.

reddragon72
07-15-2013, 11:20 AM
my welds work but are not pretty. But I figure I can always grind and shine. It just needs to be functional first.