PDA

View Full Version : The Fog Light Blues

Jeepster19
05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
My foglights on my 98 xj haven't worked since I purchased it last year.The previous owner had removed them.I have since reinstalled them and have not found the problem yet.Has anyone else had the same problem on their xj?Yall's help would be greatly appreciated,thanks.:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Mine stopped working at around the 30k miles range. It's that piece of crap switch (at least on mine) They replaced the switch under warranty. I decided to just leave the switch on all the time hoping that would solve the issue. It didn't. The replacement switch stopped working. I got so pissed off one day I pulled it and took it completely apart. It was melted on the inside so the contacts were not making, well contact.

I used a could of broken toothpicks to push and hold the contacts back in place. This fix worked for about 6 years and just before my new bumper came in I smelled the smell of burning toothpicks and now it doesn't work any longer.

If the light in that switch isn't coming on when you flip it to ON you may have the same problem. You can get a replacement switch, however I would recommend wiring it to a relay and let the relay take the full force of the fog lights, because that switch won't cut it!

You could have another problem of course, but that was the issue for me.

Jeepster19
05-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I just went out to my xj and hit the fog light switch and the light didn't come on.I will go to my local jeep dealership and purchase a new one,hopefully they will have one in stock.Thanks for the help,I'll keep you posted.

Mudderoy
05-15-2009, 03:31 PM
They are expensive little POS switches. You are going to have to remove the old switch anyway, so take it out first, and open it up and look to see if it is melted inside. As I recall it was all ver easy to get to and take apart. Something like 10 to 15 minutes.

I wouldn't buy the switch from the dealer, well I'd check the price first. You can get them on ebay for about $35.

Besides it still could be another problem besides the switch.

Updated: ebay $40 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangler-or-Cherokee-Fog-Light-switch-97-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a 1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1 c0953b564QQitemZ120415565156QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTr uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

Jeepster19
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
They are very expensive,I just called the dealership and he quoted me $199.20!!!They have lost there minds completely!!!Maybe that pricing is a attempt from chyrsler corp to keep from going bankrupt!!!Ha ha they already have.I'll take a look on ebay in a bit.Do you remember if that switch is mopar or aftermarket on ebay?Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-15-2009, 03:58 PM
They are very expensive,I just called the dealership and he quoted me $199.20!!!They have lost there minds completely!!!Maybe that pricing is a attempt from chyrsler corp to keep from going bankrupt!!!Ha ha they already have.I'll take a look on ebay in a bit.Do you remember if that switch is mopar or aftermarket on ebay?Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

The link in the above post has a picture with the switch sitting on a Chrysler bag. That's all I remember.