PDA

View Full Version : Need information & help.

Audio222
05-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Okay I have a RE3.5" lift and 31 10.5 tires. I have great clearance with these tires. The wife said I could get new rims and tires since my 2009 basically sucks so far. I am thinking about Bushwhacker cut outs, 15x10 rims and 33 12.5 tires, what do you think my clearance will be? Remember my clearance right now is great.

BlueXJ
05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Without some severe trimming I think you won't be happy with 33s. 32s maybe with proper bumpstopping and mild trimming. I have always liked the looks of Bushwackers but have learned that they are not very practical and are quite expensive as well.

BTW you can fit 32s on 8" rims so you can spend that money on something else for the Jeep.

2000XJ
05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I would keep the 8" wide rims for starters. It's a very good width, and will carry a 12.5" wide tire without issue. So save your pennies there.

Next, 33's and 3.5" will require a nice amount of trimming. Hell my 4.5" and 33's required a good amount of trimming of the front fenders. I will say that I do love the amount of lift I have for the amount of tire I have. Regardless if you have 3.5" or 5.5" you will still have to cut up the fenders some to fit the 33's. They're big tires and our wheel wells are just not big enough for them without trimming.

That being said, I think bushwackers are overpriced and not great for wheeling. I will say that with the right tire and lift combo they look great. However, they're brittle, and I've seen MANY of them break and crack over literally NOTHING. If you're planning on swapping fender flares, then I'd recommend considering other options like TJ flares. If you're not going to wheel the rig, or do just mild wheeling, then I'd say to go ahead and use the BW flares.

Mudderoy
05-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I love my 15x10 wheels, but I have read that when you lower the air pressure on the tires (for wheeling) they are more likely to come off the wheel.

As for the bushwackers... get um... Power screwdriver, or drill and you'll have them off is 10 minutes.

If all you do with the XJ is off road then I wouldn't do the bushwackers.

Audio222
05-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I love my 15x10 wheels, but I have read that when you lower the air pressure on the tires (for wheeling) they are more likely to come off the wheel.

As for the bushwackers... get um... Power screwdriver, or drill and you'll have them off is 10 minutes.

If all you do with the XJ is off road then I wouldn't do the bushwackers.

My XJ is my DD and spends most of it's time on the road. I don't rock crawl because where my friends go I can't. My main offroading is trails with a little bit or rocks, so I'm not worried about breaking them on the rocks I am worried about clearance on the 33" tires.

I have a friend with 15x10's and runs 4lbs of pressure and he doesn't have any trouble.

Mudderoy
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
My XJ is my DD and spends most of it's time on the road. I don't rock crawl because where my friends go I can't. My main offroading is trails with a little bit or rocks, so I'm not worried about breaking them on the rocks I am worried about clearance on the 33" tires.

I have a friend with 15x10's and runs 4lbs of pressure and he doesn't have any trouble.

Good to know. I also read you have less rubbing issues with the wider wheel. I can turn my wheels full either way and no rub.