PDA

View Full Version : I got a bone to pick!

Voldemort
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Well I started removing the Beat to hell rubber bushings from my recently acquired used Rusty's Upper & Lower Control arms for the 6.5"(I got both for $110 I also got the 6.5" coils too for $80). The guy I got them from said the Lowers had been scraped hard and some metal was showing. No big deal but when I got them the Black coating was flaking off and had came off at every major wear point. Now I don't know how many of you guys have done powder coating or know much about it but it is the Tattoo of painting(it should become one with the top layer of metal so you should have to scrape deep to see metal) a good powder coating job should take heel and high water to get it off. Now I have seen a good powder coat come off i place under heavy abuse but not flaking off and all around the scraped area. Then the bushings where pretty bad and not easy to get out I used a large press and still had to use the torch to heat them to come out. But, that was not the problem when I got done I wiped them done and noticed the the "powder coating":rolleyes: had came completely off from the torch! WTF!! The last time I redid a powder job I had to heat them red and then hit them with the sand blaster for every to get them ready for re-powdering! When I place says they powder coat there products they should be powder coated this was my first Rusty's parts and I only got hem cause they were cheap,but they had acouple other products I wanted but I just don't trust a place when they use a epoxy paint and say it is a powder coat! Here are some pics.

DETOURS
05-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Ummm, ya.......I should probably do this via pm but.......They dont prep their parts, it's a big cover-over with scale, slag and after birth left behind, they're one of the worst offenders when it comes to powder coat.

I've been saying for years, this powdercoat is a bunch of crap unless the parts are sandblasted first! "Tuff, durable finish".....Bullshit,........I'll quit there.

BlueXJ
05-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Rusty's is well known for shoddy products. And they should not even be painted when you get them, so they will be "Rusty" like his name implies.

Voldemort
05-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Spanky you are right YOU HAVE TO SANDBLAST FIRST! sorry for the yelling but it is so easy to do and yet the lie instead and I know he didn't re-do them cause the old Rusty's sticker was still n the side! Here are the pics they were not working before.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/100_2648.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/100_2647.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/100_2646.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/100_2645.jpg

muddeprived
05-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Rusty's is the wal-mart of aftermarket parts. You get what you pay for, used or new.

I have rusty's oil skid and it required a bunch of modifications just to fit.
I have rusty's 3" HD coils that are already sagging before month #8.

Repeat after me:

I will no longer buy Rusty's stuff.
I will only buy what Spanky fabs up.

:D

Mudderoy
05-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Spanky will "think" about his stuff for a very long time. People get tired of waiting, but when he comes out with it, it's right. Go figure. lol

Voldemort
05-15-2009, 11:24 AM
It just is not powder coating at all I went over to my friends house this morning and he has a sandblast cabinet and he had just a little normal sand in it so I took one out to see if it would blast to the metal if so it was not powder at all cause cold powder will not sandblast off at all. and this is what I got.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/Carppy-powder2.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/Carppy-powder1.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/Carppy-powder.jpg
So as you can see as soon as I put the sand to it it went straight to the metal. I am going to get some more sandblast sand and he also has one of those portable pressurized blaster's and those are the best. Then I will do a REAL powder coating on them. The construction is fine and they will do the job but I would have rather them give the option of a bare metal & say what they are using on there parts so it can be matched if need or stripped of when bought used. I'm sure they will do the job and they coils I got are giving 6" of lift so no complaints there I just don't like a company that lies, who knows what else they lie about.

muddeprived
05-15-2009, 11:42 AM
It just is not powder coating at all I went over to my friends house this morning and he has a sandblast cabinet and he had just a little normal sand in it so I took one out to see if it would blast to the metal if so it was not powder at all cause cold powder will not sandblast off at all. and this is what I got.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/Carppy-powder2.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/Carppy-powder1.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/Carppy-powder.jpg
So as you can see as soon as I put the sand to it it went straight to the metal. I am going to get some more sandblast sand and he also has one of those portable pressurized blaster's and those are the best. Then I will do a REAL powder coating on them. The construction is fine and they will do the job but I would have rather them give the option of a bare metal & say what they are using on there parts so it can be matched if need or stripped of when bought used. I'm sure they will do the job and they coils I got are giving 6" of lift so no complaints there I just don't like a company that lies, who knows what else they lie about.

You should call him up and say "wtf??!!". See what his response is.

Mudderoy
05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
If you guys would just say NO to rustys the stuff would get better, or it would go away. Either way, problem solved. :D

Voldemort
05-15-2009, 01:23 PM
If you guys would just say NO to rustys the stuff would get better, or it would go away. Either way, problem solved. :D

The thing is that they have SOME well made stuff and SOME stuff no one else makes at a good price. They do not need to lie about the powder to sell their stuff that is what I hate. But this was my first time and only cause I got them for a great price. I am not planning on buying their stuff again!

Voldemort
05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey spanky what is a good black paint to use if you can not powder coat? I was told that Krylon Appliance Epoxy Spray Paint Black - K03206 was great if you blast the part clean it and then spray it it lasts like a cheap powder and is easily re touched?

Voldemort
05-21-2009, 09:51 AM
I started sandblasting my springs and control arms and even my Pro comp shocks( I hate sandblasting!) I got one arm done and the shocks done yesterday and I got this great paint it is Rustoleum Epoxy appliance paint from Lowes. It says not to prime just shoot straight on after sanding and it take about 6 hours to dry but it come out looking just like powder coating and is like the paint on your stove or whatever so it is very tough and can take up to 300F. Here are some pics sorry it was dark by the time I got them done.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/paint2.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/paint.jpg

Voldemort
05-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Got some more done and they are coming out very nice. Springs tomorrow.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/paint3.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/paint10.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/biggdaddy2/Cars/paint4.jpg

Melissa
05-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Looking good :thumbsup:

N1TZU
05-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Very nice job...With a bit of elbow work we all can make things work...

firehawk
05-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Sometimes this Rusty's bashing get alittle old. Most all the parts I have replaced on my Jeep are from Rusty's. All I can say is....ZERO problems. Personally I don't see what all the hub bub is over paint. The paint comes off, so what, repaint it. Problem solved.:popcorn:

I've seen several parts from the ALL MIGHTY Rubicon Express with paint coming off. Where is all the bitching about RE???:confused:

BTW, I don't believe those LCA's were made from hot rolled steel. Mild steel has no scale. BTW2...I HAVE removed powdercoat with a sandblaster. I wouldn't want to do a large piece:smiley-gen165:, but sandblasting WILL remove powdercoat.

Ok, I'm done.:rolleyes:

Voldemort
05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Sometimes this Rusty's bashing get alittle old. Most all the parts I have replaced on my Jeep are from Rusty's. All I can say is....ZERO problems. Personally I don't see what all the hub bub is over paint. The paint comes off, so what, repaint it. Problem solved.:popcorn:

I've seen several parts from the ALL MIGHTY Rubicon Express with paint coming off. Where is all the bitching about RE???:confused:

BTW, I don't believe those LCA's were made from hot rolled steel. Mild steel has no scale. BTW2...I HAVE removed powdercoat with a sandblaster. I wouldn't want to do a large piece:smiley-gen165:, but sandblasting WILL remove powdercoat.

OK I did not start this thread to bash the performance of their products, I'm still putting them on my Jeep. I was upset cause they said the were powder coated and THEY ARE NOT! PERIOD. If they were painted then just say they are painted and with what so we can match it when we have to fix it cause you will have to fix it. They use it as a selling point and if it is not true than what other thing could not be true? Cold rolled,hot rolled unless it is aluminum if you do the powder right (prep,baking enough, quality powder.ETC) Then it becomes one with the top layer of metal and bonds to it so if you have a blaster & media that can take it off I want to know where you got!

In the end I think they have well engineered parts that are tough and if they would give me the option of bare metal for $10 bucks off I would be alot less worried about the quality.

firehawk
05-24-2009, 11:46 PM
OK I did not start this thread to bash the performance of their products, I'm still putting them on my Jeep. I was upset cause they said the were powder coated and THEY ARE NOT! PERIOD. If they were painted then just say they are painted and with what so we can match it when we have to fix it cause you will have to fix it. They use it as a selling point and if it is not true than what other thing could not be true? Cold rolled,hot rolled unless it is aluminum if you do the powder right (prep,baking enough, quality powder.ETC) Then it becomes one with the top layer of metal and bonds to it so if you have a blaster & media that can take it off I want to know where you got!

In the end I think they have well engineered parts that are tough and if they would give me the option of bare metal for $10 bucks off I would be alot less worried about the quality.

Sorry...I really didn't intend to come across as I did.:( I should have reread my ramblings. I just have seen on several forums where people that have NEVER bought a single thing from Rusty's jump on the trash Rusty's bandwagon. On JF it seems your not in the "in crowd" if you don't.

I will agree he should not claim to be powdercoating parts if he is not. I also agree it would be nice for him to offer parts bare steel, as I like Krylon's appliance epoxy enamal paint. From my experience it stands up to water/salt better than anything else I've used.:thumbsup:

As far as sandblasting powdercoat, it was the steel endcaps I had from Tomken for the rear bumper. I'll admit it was a pain to get off, but it did cut it. As far as I know the media we have at work is aluminum oxide.

Again, sorry if I offended/pissed anyone off as it was not my intention.:headbag:

xjjeepthing
05-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Im running Rusty's lower arms and steering brace. Work fine.

Voldemort
05-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry...I really didn't intend to come across as I did.:( I should have reread my ramblings. I just have seen on several forums where people that have NEVER bought a single thing from Rusty's jump on the trash Rusty's bandwagon. On JF it seems your not in the "in crowd" if you don't.

I will agree he should not claim to be powdercoating parts if he is not. I also agree it would be nice for him to offer parts bare steel, as I like Krylon's appliance epoxy enamal paint. From my experience it stands up to water/salt better than anything else I've used.:thumbsup:

As far as sandblasting powdercoat, it was the steel endcaps I had from Tomken for the rear bumper. I'll admit it was a pain to get off, but it did cut it. As far as I know the media we have at work is aluminum oxide.

Again, sorry if I offended/pissed anyone off as it was not my intention.:headbag:
You did not offend or anger me at all you have the right to stand up for what you think. I also like the appliance epoxy enamal paint I just use the rustoleum brand. But I have never been able to just blast off powder I always have to heat it up first this stuff just melted off under the torch no need for the blaster that is not right.

DETOURS
05-25-2009, 09:56 PM

Meh......The coating they offer, from the parts 'I have personally modified as brand new parts'......were powder coated, there are numerous methods and grades of powder coating........I'm sorry if your offended, but the parts I've worked on were the lowest possible grade of prep and powder I have yet to come accross.......nuthing worse than seeing rust under the powder.....nuff said......again, this has been a personal experiance,dont mean to come accross wrong......I'd run their parts.

Mild steel has no scale? Hot rolled is considered 'Mild Steel'.......Scale on the material can and will differ from the process inwhich it was formed, this will differ from mill to mill.......again, dont mean to come accross wrong, but I've been in the steel trade since '82.......'Mild Steel' is a very general term that covers a vast range of low carbons.....

.02 cents ;)

firehawk
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Probably the most common mild steel used is 1018. I'll bet most Jeep parts are manufactured from this alloy/grade. In my 19 years of working with metals I have NEVER seen ANY scale on this common mild/cold rolled steel.

Hot Rolled steel is totally different animal. It has the scale on it from the heat used to form it. It is MUCH MUCH tougher grade of steel than the common mild/cold rolled steel, and also is more stable. It is MUCH harder to "work", drill, and tap. You CAN get hot rolled steel that is pickled & oiled and will not have scale. We use P&O steel for parts that require a material that is more stable/tough than cold rolled, and when grinding/blasting the scale off is not an option.

I suppose you are correct, the term "mild steel" covers alot of different grades. I guess I was going from the terms we use at work. There we all know what each of us are refering to. :o

DETOURS
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Not even touching this bud, have a great day! :popcorn: