PDA

View Full Version : Project Jeep Cherokee Expedition Vehicle

jdougn
07-15-2010, 10:34 AM
An online magazine, BC4x4 (http://bc4x4.com) is doing a series of articles on their XJ build. It's called, Project XJ Jeep Cherokee Expedition Vehicle (http://www.bc4x4.com/pv/xj/)

Introducing our new project vehicle, a 1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ. This vehicle will be a jack of all trades. It must be very capable off-road yet still be able to carry a family of four and all their camping gear, as well as pull a tent trailer. Phase 1 of the build will cover mods and accessories that all fourwheelers should have. Phase 2 will concentrate on the off-road performance. more... (http://www.bc4x4.com/pv/xj/)

http://www.bc4x4.com/pv/xj/project-xj-480x278.jpg

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
You guys that say "I don't need a lift that high" should read the above article.

With Project XJ, I want to avoid that popular mistake known as "buying things twice." A great example of this folly is when your typical newbie fourwheeler buys a 2" lift and and 31" tires, and then a year later decides that he really need 4" of lift and 33" tires. So the original lift and tires gets tossed out and the new lift and tires are bought. Then, the following year, he buys a limited slip for the rear, so that he retains street handling but gets improved off-road traction.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2010, 11:02 AM
You guys that say "I don't need a lift that high" should read the above article.

That is going ot take all the fun out of it.

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
That is going ot take all the fun out of it.

And profits for the parts dealers. :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
07-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Not to mention all the posts like "I have a 2" budget boost. If I add shackles and more spacers can I get 4"?

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Not to mention all the posts like "I have a 2" budget boost. If I add shackles and more spacers can I get 4"?

lol :patriot:

xj4life2
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
ok here is my offical word on the lift thing and yes I'm a parts dealer / lift installer ect ect . Nobody needs a lift, Everybody wants better wheel well clearance to allow them to put bigger tires on in order to obtain more ground clearance. Its the tires that enable groung clearance not the lift. So you can lift it or cut it if I could cut to get larger tires on my xj I would but I'm technically cut as far as I can go or want to go. There are new kits on the market that raises the fenders on TJ's YJ's ECT that allow the use of larger tires while maintaining stock height . One kit actually allows 40" tires. Yes I would uprade shocks, LCA,UCA, Track bar an so on but on all reality the lower you are the better you are .As for articulation ... you are again only as good as you wheel wells are big allowing you to stuff tires up. The jeep I am refering to is called the Lower 40. I could rambel on but I think you get the point. Thanks for allowing to babble on

reddragon72
07-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I agree, with the lift thing and tires, but with Xj's it is simply not feasible and certainly not cheap to fit bigger tires. So in the case of the XJ a lift is mandatory for almost all larger tire sizes.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I am going to disagree with Mark. I had an 85 that I put some 31" swampers on without a lift. I took it into the Eagle Lakes area, the entrance to the famous Fordyce Creek trail. I found myself bouncing my factory skids off every rock there it seemed like. The stock XJ just does not have the body clearance other models have. So it needs to be lifted. But the question remains, how much?

Mudderoy
07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
I am going to disagree with Mark. I had an 85 that I put some 31" swampers on without a lift. I took it into the Eagle Lakes area, the entrance to the famous Fordyce Creek trail. I found myself bouncing my factory skids off every rock there it seemed like. The stock XJ just does not have the body clearance other models have. So it needs to be lifted. But the question remains, how much?

I lack the experience to say exactly, but my goal is 35" tires and 6.5" of lift. I personally think more than 6.5" is past the point of a good compromised of clearance and premature roll over. :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I lack the experience to say exactly, but my goal is 35" tires and 6.5" of lift. I personally think more than 6.5" is past the point of a good compromised of clearance and premature roll over. :smiley-laughing021:

That is correct, unless you are going with full width axles :D

xj4life2
07-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Actually your not disagreeing with me , your actually proving my point that in order to get a wheel well clearance large enough to get a tire big enough to get an xj off the ground you must cut or lift. Thanks Steve !! PS I had 31"s on mine for a while when it was stock ,I know the feeling. The only thing with an XJ is how low they are to start out 4" lift on a YJ you can roll 35's , 4"on an XJ 33"s , But i still wouldn't trade mine :driving:

jdougn
07-16-2010, 08:42 AM
On my XJ I found that 33s are about as big as will fully stuff to the bottom (or is it top) of the wheel well and not hit on the vertical sides. I fully agree with the other comments that the lower the c.o.g. the better. However, in the rock crawling/mudding combination of wheeling around here a certain amount of lift is essential to reduce high centering on the XJs body.

My personal XJ is on 33s and has around 5.5" of lift. However, it is also regularly driven on the road and still performs well on long road trips. There are probably too many variables in the way we use our XJs and in how we want them to look to make definitive statements on the perfect amount of lift or tire size.

jdougn
07-21-2010, 08:49 AM
BC4x4 (http://www.bc4x4.com/pv/xj/)has posted a short YouTube video of the front install!
Napier Precision Front Fender Flare Install

Here's a BEFORE pict of their Project XJ without the Napier Precision Fender Flares installed yet. (The article will be coming out soon.) The XJ is also getting custom front and rear bumpers along with a long list of other upgrades!

http://bc4x4.com/pv/xj/project-xj-700x478.jpg

pingpong
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok here is my 2 cents... YOU can go a lot of places if you properly skid your rig.. As for what fits on what lift.. it all depends on how much you are will ing to cut off. I have seen an xj with 3" on 37's.. his up travel was severly limited, but his down travel was awesome.

Speaking from experience if I was to build a rig fromn scratch and had to prioritize things to buy/build.

Plate the frame, Rock sliders, and g tank skid

Then I would buy either poly performance 3 link/4 link brackets, or RK 3 link set up(what I am running now, but like PP's setup better.. just came out a yr after I did my RK) Both of these setups can "grow" with you.

As for the rear... well here is where you can do all kind of things. There are a millin ways to do this.. I say spend the money on quality shackles at first.. then when you get bigger buy the leafs. My next move is a Wheel base stretch using MJ leafs... and building my own shacles using Johnny joints at the top to increase flex

4x4Dalton
07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
As for the rear... well here is where you can do all kind of things. There are a millin ways to do this.. I say spend the money on quality shackles at first.. then when you get bigger buy the leafs. My next move is a Wheel base stretch using MJ leafs... and building my own shacles using Johnny joints at the top to increase flex

And dont forget that if you go with that setup ya also have to get new longer shocks. I am looking into a 2 inch lift right now myself.

pingpong
07-24-2010, 08:02 AM
as for shocks.. well I truly believe in the JKS bayonet eliminators for the front... then you have more choices at the parts store or catalog whenn it comes to shocks. I keep about 4 or 5 pairs of shocks around the shop for different reasons, and have a list of stock oem shcoks that will work for certain lifts. I dont believe in selling extra parts.. I am always looking to buy or sell xj/mj's so never know what deal comes along

4.3LXJ
07-24-2010, 10:34 AM
as for shocks.. well I truly believe in the JKS bayonet eliminators for the front... then you have more choices at the parts store or catalog whenn it comes to shocks. I keep about 4 or 5 pairs of shocks around the shop for different reasons, and have a list of stock oem shcoks that will work for certain lifts. I dont believe in selling extra parts.. I am always looking to buy or sell xj/mj's so never know what deal comes along

Here is a valuable resource for you. I like Monroe shocks for the smooth ride they give. I currently use the Gas Magnum shocks and probably won't use anything else for a long time.

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

I also have the same thing in the Gabriel 2000 shock catalogue.

pingpong
07-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the link.. I normally just make the parts guy look them up for me:D Currently I am running DT 3000 and rc shocks.. They work really good for cheap shocks

jdougn
07-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah, there are so many options on ways to build an XJ. I've not got to do this, but I am fascinated by the long expedition type trips on the wilderness 'roads' in CA & western USA. I've been as far as Moab Utah and had a great time.

Here in southern Indiana there are few if any places to go on a long trail ride. You've got to build for rocks and mud, and plan on body damage. You'll also usually just drive on trails that circle around on a few hundred acres. Guys prefer to trailer their rigs so they don't have to worry about parts breaking. My XJ is not trailered but it will still handle some fairly tough trails. I just don't do the craziest stuff.

4.3LXJ
07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah, there are so many options on ways to build an XJ. I've not got to do this, but I am fascinated by the long expedition type trips on the wilderness 'roads' in CA & western USA. I've been as far as Moab Utah and had a great time.

Here in southern Indiana there are few if any places to go on a long trail ride. You've got to build for rocks and mud, and plan on body damage. You'll also usually just drive on trails that circle around on a few hundred acres. Guys prefer to trailer their rigs so they don't have to worry about parts breaking. My XJ is not trailered but it will still handle some fairly tough trails. I just don't do the craziest stuff.

I don't do the craziest tuff either. If I wanted to do that I would have a different type of vehicle.

thekevin
12-25-2010, 12:13 AM
I am about to dive back in to mine to take it on up, I wish I would have went with a 4.5" lift the first time around 6 months ago when I got this thing but I bought a 3" RC lift with AAL's and LCA's. I am going to regear and add lockers, add shackles in the rear with a full spring pack and some spacers in the front along with new shocks all around and hopefully do enough trimming to comfortably clear 33's and still keep my jeep looking nice.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt100/kevincolliver/2001%20Jeep%20XJ/IMG_4445.jpg

4.3LXJ
12-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Ah yes, same thing happened to me. 3" wasn't enough.

bluedragon436
12-25-2010, 06:22 AM
That is why I am glad that I was able to find a good deal on the majority of a used 4.5" lift... cause I would have picked up a 3" and not been happy with it either..

thekevin
12-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I have been looking at tons of pictures, but I am having alot of problems really deciding to cut on my jeep, because in my opinion it is in great shape. But I did also come across a really good deal on a 60/70 combo so if I buy those I will definately be cutting.

4.3LXJ
12-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Cutting can be done tastefully and covered over with larger flares. Something to think about. Myself, when I do it will be major and I will be making tube fenders for it.

BlueXJ
12-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Cutting can be done tastefully and covered over with larger flares. Something to think about. Myself, when I do it will be major and I will be making tube fenders for it.

Keep us in the loop on the tube fenders. I want to do that to my MJ.

4.3LXJ
12-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Keep us in the loop on the tube fenders. I want to do that to my MJ.

Might not happen till next winter. There are more parts to buy for my axles and set of 38s to buy too.

BlueXJ
12-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Saw a friend on Naxja who built a set on his XJ and he has a pic of his teenaged son standing on them............can you say STURDY.

4.3LXJ
12-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Saw a friend on Naxja who built a set on his XJ and he has a pic of his teenaged son standing on them............can you say STURDY.

I can, and that is the plan:thumbsup:

jdougn
12-27-2010, 07:23 AM
You mean something like this?

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/jdougn/CRUSH%20TEST/th_SDC10111-1.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/jdougn/CRUSH%20TEST/?action=view&current=SDC10111-1.jpg)

Mudderoy
12-27-2010, 10:26 AM
You mean something like this?

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/jdougn/CRUSH%20TEST/th_SDC10111-1.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/jdougn/CRUSH%20TEST/?action=view&current=SDC10111-1.jpg)

lol I always love that picture. Next you know Bushwacker will do the same with theirs... NOT! :smiley-laughing021:

GT MOTORSPORTS
12-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I am about to dive back in to mine to take it on up, I wish I would have went with a 4.5" lift the first time around 6 months ago when I got this thing but I bought a 3" RC lift with AAL's and LCA's. I am going to regear and add lockers, add shackles in the rear with a full spring pack and some spacers in the front along with new shocks all around and hopefully do enough trimming to comfortably clear 33's and still keep my jeep looking nice.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt100/kevincolliver/2001%20Jeep%20XJ/IMG_4445.jpg

What yr wheels are these? And what size tire you running? I like the way it looks! Very clean! Thanks

Greg

modestmar00xj
12-27-2010, 09:14 PM

hahaha yes!:thumbsup:

modestmar00xj
12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
:
lol I always love that picture. Next you know Bushwacker will do the same with theirs... NOT! :smiley-laughing021:

lol true. :thumbsup

modestmar00xj
12-27-2010, 09:17 PM
lol true.

jdougn
11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Special Pricing on the Napier Precision Products (http://www.napierprecisionproducts.com) website now through December 30, 2011.
Only $350 for fender flares!

We are getting fender flares shipped out in about 5-6 working days right now! Still takes some time for shipping from southern Indiana 47111.

dagr8tim
11-21-2011, 05:47 PM
We are getting fender flares shipped out in about 5-6 working days right now! Still takes some time for shipping from southern Indiana 47111.

If I order a set, can I drive down and watch them get made (and save the shipping cost)?

jdougn
11-22-2011, 07:44 AM
If I order a set, can I drive down and watch them get made (and save the shipping cost)?

Wow, interesting request. You can certainly come pick up your fender flares. Production time typically runs around 4-6 days depending upon how many sets are being made. Shipping from Charlestown IN (47111) to Columbus OH should cost less than $20. If you're really that interested PM me and we could arrange something.

Thanks,
Doug