PDA

View Full Version : Best Rust Penetration Study

Voldemort
05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
"This information comes from another site but thought it was worth putting up here as well.

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;

Penetrating oil..... Average load
None ............ ......516 pounds
WD-40 ............ ....238 pounds
PB Blaster ............ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. I do not know how they made the mix but it seamed like they just mixed them in a squirt bottle and sprayed

DETOURS
05-13-2009, 06:59 PM
So the 'home-brew' worked best? :popcorn:

Melissa
05-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm throwing out all my WD-40 :eek:

Voldemort
05-13-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm throwing out all my WD-40 :eek:

I know I always thought PB Blaster was the shit till this but I will not convince my dad till I mix my own special brew and try it.

Voldemort
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
When mix these make sure you mix it in a tightly sealed container or a reusable areosol can cause the acetone evaporate very quickly!

Melissa
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
When mix these make sure you mix it in a tightly sealed container or a reusable areosol can cause the acetone evaporate very quickly!

I've got ATF and Acetone, might just have to try that
:smiley-scared002:

bwebb
05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I've used ATF on siezed engines just poured in spark plug hole and gotten them to free up after sitting a couple days

muddeprived
05-14-2009, 05:55 AM
I had some luck with PB but then my steering box bolts were the last bolts i wanted to break again (i broke 75% of the bolts on the TJ :headshake:) so i bought some of this smelly stuff and it's on your list. I tested it out on my over-corroded rear brake bleed screw. I tried removing it before but it was starting to strip so i put it off till i got this stuff. I sprayed some on and went in to pig out for 30 some minutes. When I came out and tried to loosen it, it unscrewed with just a little effort. Me LIKE

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/PIC-0011.jpg

Break bolts NO MORE.

cher96
05-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Free can of the stuff here:

https://secure.concentric.com/kanolabs.com/orders/order_kroil.shtml

I'm going to give it a try. Thanks.

BlueXJ
05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
On muddeprived's recommendation and having used the above product in my youth (Kroil) I bought some but have yet to need any. It is in my arsenal of lubes and penetrants now at least.

DETOURS
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll be mixing up some homebrew as well, after all.......I've got the perfect test subject .........."Crusty" :o

Voldemort
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I had some luck with PB but then my steering box bolts were the last bolts i wanted to break again (i broke 75% of the bolts on the TJ :headshake:) so i bought some of this smelly stuff and it's on your list. I tested it out on my over-corroded rear brake bleed screw. I tried removing it before but it was starting to strip so i put it off till i got this stuff. I sprayed some on and went in to pig out for 30 some minutes. When I came out and tried to loosen it, it unscrewed with just a little effort. Me LIKE

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/PIC-0011.jpg

Break bolts NO MORE.

Yes it showed on the test it was the best one that is sold! But I'm going to try the mix and if it works the price for it compared to any of the others is unbeatable.

2000XJ
05-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow this is great info. Wish I had read this prior to attempting to remove my lug nuts earlier this week :(

Melissa
05-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Free can of the stuff here:

https://secure.concentric.com/kanolabs.com/orders/order_kroil.shtml

I'm going to give it a try. Thanks.

Thanks for the link, I think I'll order a can as well :thumbsup:

muddeprived
05-15-2009, 05:24 AM
This is where I got mine if anyone's interested in buying some:

Amazon.com: Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil, 10 oz. aerosol: Automotive

They actually have used cans of it. :smiley-laughing021:

jugbutt
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Anything is worth a try!

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voldemort
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Anything is worth a try!

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea. The ATF/acetone mix works if you can keep the acetone from drying out. And I still find myself using PB Blaster because of the availability and price.

XJ4IV
09-18-2010, 11:16 PM
thread revival.... I bought these two tonight to give it a whirl on my rear shackle bolts it will be in my Ironman Goodies thread for those interested

oderdene
09-19-2010, 08:19 AM
coke also helps lot.

XJ4IV
09-19-2010, 09:42 AM
OK well I mixed up this stuff and its pretty cool, lot better smell than PB and WD and NO you cant smell the ATF, and the acetone smell is REALLY toned down due to the addition of the ATF the final product looks like pepto bismol its pretty neat...
now the results:
I sprayed down my shackle bolts that have never been moved since 1991

I sprayed down my upper control arm bolts that havent been moved since 1991

and let them sit for a few minutes just to give t the ultimate test... well the shackle bolts needed a little persuasion with a breaker bar and then I realized I dont have the right size socket for a backing BUT I did break it free pretty easily...
I applied some to my rear bumper bolts and after I broke the seal on those I was able to put my tools down and remove them with my fingers with ease
I say http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8V0joWMG0YRkCP8EpNw85aO7e0uQW6 FmCferzQj-bZGisjP0&t=1&usg=__i82wd3sE38FtKkP-Xy9GY8Fd5qU=

oderdene
09-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Yea. The ATF/acetone mix works if you can keep the acetone from drying out. And I still find myself using PB Blaster because of the availability and price.

is it 50-50 mix?

XJ4IV
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
is it 50-50 mix?

Yes it is just half and half but everytime you use it you gotta shake the bottle up real good cause these two dont mix well... I went to harbor freight and picked up a little oiler bottle for 4 bucks ... make sure you get one specifically for oil... I used a hairspray bottle first and that thing sucked I think I had more on my hands than on the bolts.