PDA

View Full Version : remove steering wheel help, and bad alighnment

hoerter2158
07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Ok so where to start. I put on my 4.5 rough country lift months ago. Since then my alignment has been off. Got it aligned after the lift. That was with the stock track bar. Put on my adj track bar last night and was going to align it. Found out my alignments 4 in off, making it impossible to align. So my steering wheel is a quarter turn. My 9 oclock side is at 12 oclock now. Reason my clockspring is bad also. So whats the best way to make my steering wheel straight compared to my wheels. Can i just realign my steering wheel? Also anyone have a right up on how to remove the steering wheel? Gonna install my clock spring while its off.

Any help is welcome haha

Mudderoy
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Ok so where to start. I put on my 4.5 rough country lift months ago. Since then my alignment has been off. Got it aligned after the lift. That was with the stock track bar. Put on my adj track bar last night and was going to align it. Found out my alignments 4 in off, making it impossible to align. So my steering wheel is a quarter turn. My 9 oclock side is at 12 oclock now. Reason my clockspring is bad also. So whats the best way to make my steering wheel straight compared to my wheels. Can i just realign my steering wheel? Also anyone have a right up on how to remove the steering wheel? Gonna install my clock spring while its off.

Any help is welcome haha

Mine is off about 1/8th of a turn since I put on my RC trackbar. I have a moog drag link coming in, and I have a 2" drop pitman arm. I was going to wait before I adjusted the steering wheel, but I may do it this weekend. Causing problems with the blinker engaging correctly.

My understanding is that the adjustment is made at the drag link. But I've never done it before.

hoerter2158
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Well yes, my blinkers are the same way. Also it will wreck ur clockspring because the steering wheel will get turned to far. It already happened to mine. Just trying fix the steering wheel so i can get this alignment right this time.

Mudderoy
07-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Well yes, my blinkers are the same way. Also it will wreck ur clockspring because the steering wheel will get turned to far. It already happened to mine. Just trying fix the steering wheel so i can get this alignment right this time.

Re-Centering Your Steering Wheel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. With your tires pointing as straight as possible (leave your steering wheel rotated) and your tires on the ground, loosen the bolts on your drag link turnbuckle using a 15mm deep socket or wrench.

2. Grab the turnbuckle with your hand and rotate it a little bit at a time. Check your steering wheel periodically while doing this until it appears to be centered again.

3. Try to make sure that the bolts are pointing away from the track bar (rotate just the bolt sleeve and not the turnbuckle itself if necessary) and then tighten up the turnbuckle bolts.

4. Take your Jeep out for a test ride and determine if you need to make any other adjustments. It may take a few times to get it right but at least it is easy to do.

If you just installed a 2"-3" lift, that should be about all you need to do. However, if your lift is 4" or greater, you should seriously consider purchasing a set of adjustable control arms so that you can properly set your caster. I am currently running on my OEM control arms and for now, I seem to be doing just fine.

:link: (http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html)

4.3LXJ
07-10-2010, 09:59 AM
That is the way to do it. It takes some trial and error. You never get it just right the first time. Also you might need a pipe wrench on the sleeve for the drag link. Toe in will be unaffected.

oderdene
07-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Mine is about 1/8 CCW after replacing front bushings. I've installed EnergySuspension set and then:
- my tires rub early than before, seems both LCA shifted outside a bit
- steering wheel rotated left
will try to adjust using instruction which Mud provided.

xj4life2
07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Once you think you have it roll the veh forward and backward a few times and then re check. we normally have to do this a couple time before we get it right moveing allows it to settle out. Good tip on the pipe wrench !!!!!

hoerter2158
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Got it. All i used was an adj wrech( took all my tools to work) ha. Thanks for the help guys. Now hopefully this alignment gets rid of my bump steer. Also if i grab my steering link i can make it turn very easily. Would this mean time for new ball joins on the ends of the steering link?