PDA

View Full Version : Right side leaf spring rubbing on shackle

firehawk
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I had this damn groaning/creaking noise for several months now. I know where it is coming from, but can't figure out how to fix it. I can slather it up with antiseeze lube to stop the noise, but it dosen't last all that long.

The rightside leaf spring eye is rubbing on the top of the outside ear on the shackle. I thought maybe the bushing had shifted over and was allowing this. I pulled the bolt from the spring/shackle and can see the wear mark on the shackle ear on top of the bolt hole. I also noticed when the spring is not "in" the shackle it is off to the side. It dosen't line up with the shackle, I have to pry it down and pop it back into the shackle when I put everything back together.

I see no body damage (shackle mount), and the eye on the spring does not appear to be twisted. Any ideas? Anyone else have/had this problem?

Mudderoy
05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Broken pin on the axle? You know where the leaf spring sits on top of the axle?

firehawk
05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Broken pin on the axle? You know where the leaf spring sits on top of the axle?

I thought of that too, but the spring looks to be still centered on the perch.:confused:

Mudderoy
05-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Ok that's the limit of my knowledge. lol

xjjeepthing
05-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Kim can you snap a pic of it, might help

Voldemort
05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes a pic would help. But your leaf may be slightly bent enough that you can't see but it makes this happen?

quadracer0387
05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
i have the same problem... very squeeky... mine started after i put on my extended shackles and didnt change the leaves...

firehawk
05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I'll try to get a pic up this evening.....IF it EVER stops raining!:mad0090:

BlueXJ
05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Are they the original rubber bushings in your shackles? If they are and you replace them with the poly ones you will cure the rubbing. You probably popped the rubber on a good flex and it stayed out of place until it wore the fragile rubber so that it rubs the side of the shackle.