PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts & Opinions...

BigVaz
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
At first I wanted to stay as cheap as possible, but for some reason I would like to be able to get the weather updates. (Not sure how it works but sounds cool) Anyway this is what im thinking. Anyone have experience with this, or any thoughts?:thumbsup:

http://www.walcottcb.com/uniden-pro538w-cb-radio-weather-front-mounted-speaker-p-531.html?cPath=340_377_382

cantab27
07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
there are a couple of cb people on here ...wait a bit they will see ya post...welcome to site

BigVaz
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Forgot to add the antenna im looking at too...

http://www.walcottcb.com/wilson-fgt-silverload-fiberglass-antenna-fgt5-p-556.html?cPath=28_352_412

drakan1908
07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I looked at the Cobra CB that comes with weather and is almost identical to the Uniden. Another feature that both have, that I like is the front firing speaker. My CB mounts beside the passenger seat and the speaker is on the bottom. I can hear it but a front mounted speaker would be better. I figured that the weather band would be handy to have out on the trail to let you know what weather was on its way. I just cheaped out and bought a Cobra 19 at Walmart for $36, it does the job.

Mudderoy
07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Uniden bought Cobra some years back. Prior to that I would have bought a Cobra over a Uniden any day. If you do some checking around to see if the Cobra models are still built the same way then I'd get one of those. For less that $30 you can get a remote communications speaker. This is VERY valuable as it helps you with 50% of the communications! :thumbsup:

I use a MFJ remote communications speaker on my radio. I have it mounted under the dash and I hear great. Another trick you can do is if you have a AM/FM cassette player, for $10 you can get a cassette player adapter that lets you plug into anything with a sub-miniature jack a play the sound through your stereo speakers. You would need a mono to stereo adapter if you wanted to hear your CB on both left and right channels.

The downside is no music. I use this to play MP3's through my stereo system.

BigVaz
07-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Specifically the CB I listed though... I found it for $53.00 shipped to my door. Im confident its a good deal, but have never had a CB before... What do you guys think?

Mudderoy
07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Specifically the CB I listed though... I found it for $53.00 shipped to my door. Im confident its a good deal, but have never had a CB before... What do you guys think?

Specifically, I wouldn't buy a Uniden.

BigVaz
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Specifically, I wouldn't buy a Uniden.

Haha, if Uniden bought Cobra I cant see why you would buy one of those either??? I guess im just confused... :rolleyes:

And yes, I did read your post about buying one prior... Maybe you could post A link of something with similar features and price point? That would be a great help!

Mudderoy
07-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Haha, if Uniden bought Cobra I cant see why you would buy one of those either??? I guess im just confused... :rolleyes:

And yes, I did read your post about buying one prior... Maybe you could post A link of something with similar features and price point? That would be a great help!

It's just my opinion. I never have liked the Uniden. I didn't like that they bought Cobra. I've had several Cobras and they performed well. I haven't been into CBs since the 80's so I wouldn't be able to guide you. That is why I was saying check to see if the Cobra was a Cobra and not a Uniden design. You're right though no guarantee that what's in them is any better. I had a Cobra 148 GTX (I think that's it) that was a nice SSB radio. I think they still sell them, and depending on the reviews I could find I'd probably buy one again.

Whatever you wind up getting it would be a great help to others if you posted up a review of it.

I may do a little searching to see if I can find some specifics about the Cobras.

BigVaz
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Cool, from what I can see searching on my own, this particular Cb seems to be the best bang for the buck... I just started reading reviews on it & havent seen any real problems except for the expected few that dont work properly, but you get those people complaining no matter what it is... ; )

CT99XJ
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
ONe of the guys in my local club has one, works really well.

Deviate
07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Another trick you can do is if you have a AM/FM cassette player, for $10 you can get a cassette player adapter that lets you plug into anything with a sub-miniature jack a play the sound through your stereo speakers. You would need a mono to stereo adapter if you wanted to hear your CB on both left and right channels.

Disclaimer: I've never owned a CB, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

If one of the cheap cassette adapters will work, couldn't you also use an FM modulator? Is it the same standard headphone jack on a CB for an external speaker/etc that an MP3 player/portable CD player would use?

Something like this, albeit in mono instead of stereo?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/21hdM92-3KL.jpg

It's definitely on my list of things to buy in the not-so-distant-future. If an FM modulator would work, that'll make things a bit easier for me. :thumbsup: I like easier...

Mudderoy
07-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Disclaimer: I've never owned a CB, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

If one of the cheap cassette adapters will work, couldn't you also use an FM modulator? Is it the same standard headphone jack on a CB for an external speaker/etc that an MP3 player/portable CD player would use?

Something like this, albeit in mono instead of stereo?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/21hdM92-3KL.jpg

It's definitely on my list of things to buy in the not-so-distant-future. If an FM modulator would work, that'll make things a bit easier for me. :thumbsup: I like easier...

FM modulators have their own problems. I have not be real impressed with them, but to a less discriminating person it may be just fine.

Deviate
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
FM modulators have their own problems. I have not be real impressed with them, but to a less discriminating person it may be just fine.

They've come a long way in the last few years. There are models now that plug straight into the antenna port on the back of your radio, making for near-CD-quality sound and eliminating signal interference issues. Even the ones that don't plug into the antenna port are infinitely better than those of 10 years ago. On top of that, most will allow you to choose from more than 2 FM frequencies these days.

They're still not the perfect solution, but I prefer not to run a cassette player in my vehicles since I don't own a single cassette. Hell, I've even eliminated the CD player in my Miata; it's all digital files and FM now.

I guess you could also use an aux input, if your headunit is adequately equipped. The old Clarion CD player in my XJ is not, but I have a feeling that thing won't be in there much longer anyway and all but the cheapest modern aftermarket radios have aux inputs these days.

tbone
07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
The Uniden is a good choice but cost a bit more than the Cobra. Either would be a good choice. The internals of these radios are nearly identicle so the only real consideration you should have is price. Hope this helps. :patriot:

dirtroadroots
07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
I got a cobra 29 and have had it for several years now...works great and has the weather bands on it

as far as an external speaker my solution cost me less than 5 bucks and a set of tweeters i had in the garage...i went to radio shack and got a mono plug that you can solder your own wire to...i put the tweeter in the door by the stock speaker and ran speaker wire to it...several of the guys i run around with have bought external speakers and haven't heard any that are as loud as mine is (can run down the highway at 80 with the window down and it's still loud and clear)

bluedragon436
10-25-2010, 07:01 AM
I am looking at picking up the Cobra 75WXST (http://www.walcottcb.com/cobra-75wxst-remote-cb-weather-radio-p-520.html?cPath=340), with a Firestick door jamb mount (http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss204-adjustable-ss-vertical-door-jamb-mount-p-835.html?cPath=28_353_432)(to put back at the jamb area), and a firestick 4' ant (http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-fl4b-firefly-flexable-antenna-p-896.html?cPath=28). May not get it from Walcott if I can find any of the setup cheaper elsewhere... but as of right now that is the setup I want to get..

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/products/75WXST/75WXST.jpg

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/products/SS204/SS204.jpg

http://www.walcottcb.com/images/products/FLB/FLB.jpg

Jeepster19
11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
If you want get the most out of that cb,drop me a message.I'm sure I have the specs to do the mods on your unit.C.B.'s are great!I used to be a C.B. freak and I still have all of my equipment&books.:thumbsup:

Jeepster19
11-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Here's a website you can check out!http://www.copper.com/cart/index.php?cPath=22

bluedragon436
11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
They actually got some pretty decent deals on that site... I am still out of the market right now, as I want to finish my main project (lift,rims/tires) which will put me on the trails and thus put me in the need of said CB equipment...

XJ4IV
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
if you have a droid or iPhone you ought to download weatherbug... it gives you weather alerts updated every 15 minutes and also gives you emergency news like child abductions and other major emergencies... Its free also. one of my favorite applications

bluedragon436
11-03-2010, 04:24 AM
I plan to download that on my Droid once I get mine in Jan... I can't wait... still going to get a CB with the wx option too... but the Droid will be good for when I am not in my rig, or I am out biking or something...

4x4Dalton
11-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I just got a BARJAN 4ft whip with bracket and cable at local truck stop. Hooked it all up this morning and it gets out 10 times better then my magnet mounted one I had.

Mudderoy
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I just got a BARJAN 4ft whip with bracket and cable at local truck stop. Hooked it all up this morning and it gets out 10 times better then my magnet mounted one I had.

All kind of things can effect your communications range. I personally would much rather have a mechanical connection than a magnetic one! :patriot:

bluedragon436
11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Will be looking into deals at my local truckstop too... since I have one like three minutes from my house... Then I just have to find a good deal on a CB setup... LOL..

4x4Dalton
11-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Here are a few Go By Instructions for those who dont know how or are not real sure how to install CB antennas on fender.
Step 1 Mount Bracket on the fender where hood will not hit bolts.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BalGd56uEqU/TOhdtFgp4LI/AAAAAAAAAdg/lmwlwHy7pzs/1120101241.jpg
Step 2 Run cable either into wire hole in firewall or run under fender to inside of XJ.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BalGd56uEqU/TOhdtz-O9HI/AAAAAAAAAdk/N0ixEO4R7Fg/1120101242.jpg
Step 3 Remove side pieces inside to run wire to not be noticed. Usually a few screws is all that needs to be removed.
Step 4 If mounting overhead try and run cable over the headliner material and connect to back of CB
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BalGd56uEqU/TOhd4K1nF2I/AAAAAAAAAdo/K29uYCcPhWU/1120101240a.jpg
Step 5 Make sure it is seated good and turn on CB. You may also have to get a meter to gauge it for quality reception(some come already tuned).
Step 6 Stand back and admire yer work
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BalGd56uEqU/TOheISnm1SI/AAAAAAAAAds/w1A4-IW--RQ/1120101239.jpg

I know there are some who already know how to install one like this,but like me I at first had no clue on how to do my set up. By no means you do not have to do yours like this. Do research,ask questions to others with set ups already to give you tips and tricks for installs. Hope this helps at least 1 person if so my job is accomplished.

BlueXJ
11-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Many don't like the magnetic bases but that is what I use and it works fine A tree branch will, at worst, just knock it over. I have it in the front of my roof rack to utilize the roof as a ground plane. Muddy or a more knowledgeable person can explain the effects a ground plane has on distance while transmitting.

bluedragon436
11-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Well by what all I have read online while researching this... which ever portion of your vehicle you install your ant. will have the weaker signal off that corner.. so like Dalton up there would have a weaker signal off of his left front corner.... but the rest of his vehicle would be used as a ground plane, and he would have a better signal at those directions.. which is why for me when I mount mine, I will be mounting it in the rear... as I will end up being the last vehicle on our trail rides.... so all I need is to be able to get a signal up front to tell the guys in front of me, that I got stuck yet again... LOL... I can't wait to get a CB setup for mine...

cyclone70
06-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Back years ago when I was into CB, the unit to have was the President Jackson.
I'm sure they are pricey these days but they can really reach out there.
We were always running on SSB along with an amp.
Most likely President is still making them.

xj4life2
06-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Well by what all I have read online while researching this... which ever portion of your vehicle you install your ant. will have the weaker signal off that corner.. so like Dalton up there would have a weaker signal off of his left front corner.... but the rest of his vehicle would be used as a ground plane, and he would have a better signal at those directions.. which is why for me when I mount mine, I will be mounting it in the rear... as I will end up being the last vehicle on our trail rides.... so all I need is to be able to get a signal up front to tell the guys in front of me, that I got stuck yet again... LOL... I can't wait to get a CB setup for mine...

I believe you have that in reverse he will have better reception/transmission to the front right and weakest in the left rear. If your the last guy in the line you want you antenna in the front (i never would) for optimal transmissions.

Also one clarification , no radio or antenna come pre matched , this must be done after the final installation has been made. Failure to do this might result in damage to the radio and very poor reception and transmission.

bluedragon436
07-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Yeah you are probably right.. I am new to the whole CB end of things... so I am still learning as best as I can.. Thanks for correcting me on this information.. Either way I know that I need to tune my setup once I get home, as I have only gotten to transmit/recieve once since I installed my setup.. granted it was an almost 100 mile transmission/reception (which very much surprised me).. but haven't gotten it to work since...

Paddletrucker
07-02-2011, 06:51 AM
I've had just about all of the CB's from the el-cheapos to the really expensive ones. I know Mudderroy said he doesnt like the Unidens, but any more that's my favorite one. I run a PC78Elite in my semi and it's stood up to the bouncing and vibration of riding on my dash for 120,000 miles a year MUCH better than the Cobra 29 sound tracker I had before. I REALLY loved the old Cobra 29, but when they came out with the Nigh****ch and SoundTracker, I prefer the Uniden PC78.

Here's why. The backlighting on the AMBER Uniden is much better than the Cobra Nigh****ch and also tons better than the green backlit Unidens. They just have lit up green rings around the knobs, whereas the amber ones have the writing on the face backlit.

You can turn the weather alert completely off on the Uniden pc78. You can't do that on the Cobras. It will scAre the living hell out of you every 15 minutes during stormy times of the year and you can't really do anything but unplug the radio. The PC78 has an off setting on the weather bands so that it will not squeal.

Performance wise, I find them all about the same. I do think the PC78 is better, though, because of these things. It's honestly the first radio I haven't had to have repaired since I installed it. It has ridden about 450,000 miles now in a rattling, vibrating cab now. We don't call Freightliners Freightshakers for no reason. I drive on some really rough crappy roads every night, too.

I was going through Cobras at twice the rate and couldnt keep a Galaxy or Connex radio working for a couple of months. I decided to try the Uniden PC 78 and it's become my favorite.

Paddletrucker
07-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Oh, a couple more pieces of advice and opinion, if you'll allow me.

I'd spend less on a radio and more on a good antenna set up and a good noise canceling mic. Also, get a good SWR meter. A cheap radio with a good mic and a good properly tuned antenna will out perform an expensive rig that has a stock mic and cheap antenna every single day.

I prefer antennas with a tunable tip. Most of them will have a set screw and a nail in the end for tuning. For a personal vehicle, I think a Wilson Flex is absolutely unbeatable. You can touch the ends together and not break it. It's tough. And it performs well. It's what I'll be putting on my XJ.

For a mic, IMHO there's only one I like. That's the Astatic noise canceling mic. The Road King 56 is a really good one, too, but isnt as comfy in my hand as the Astatic.

Get any radio, a GOOD mic ( MUST be noise canceling), and a GOOD, PROPERLY tuned antenna, and you'll get out farther, hear more, and sound better than any body else. Just get those SWR's on that antenna as low as you can. Thats the most important thing!

I hate and don't recommend antennas that you have to trim the end to tune it and set the SWR's.

I run a Wilson 2000 on my semi, but that wouldn't be practical on an XJ. I would go back to the Wilson Flex on my semi and be perfectly happy. I think it's ideal for a Jeep. I think there's a really flexible K40 antenna that's a real good antenna, too.

Oh, and don't go in a truck stop looking for a deal. You can get better prices on higher quality products almost anywhere else.

To keep your set up operating really good, keep the connections on the antenna clean. You'll notice a powdery corrosion appear on your antenna mounts after a while. Take it all apart, clean it up, and check the SWR's. Your radio will outperform every body else's and last longer, too.

bluedragon436
07-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Yeah I can't remember right off hand what unit I have, I just know it is sort of a knock off of a Cobra unit. I was looking at picking up a Cobra unit, as I have heard nothing but good things about them, and it is all that I am used to seeing over the years of riding across the country on the road with my step father in trucks.. but it is a bit out of my price range right now... and not to mention I got a good deal on the setup I have, so I will at least run it for now!!

Mudderoy
07-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I've had just about all of the CB's from the el-cheapos to the really expensive ones. I know Mudderroy said he doesnt like the Unidens, but any more that's my favorite one. I run a PC78Elite in my semi and it's stood up to the bouncing and vibration of riding on my dash for 120,000 miles a year MUCH better than the Cobra 29 sound tracker I had before. I REALLY loved the old Cobra 29, but when they came out with the Nigh****ch and SoundTracker, I prefer the Uniden PC78.

Here's why. The backlighting on the AMBER Uniden is much better than the Cobra Nigh****ch and also tons better than the green backlit Unidens. They just have lit up green rings around the knobs, whereas the amber ones have the writing on the face backlit.

You can turn the weather alert completely off on the Uniden pc78. You can't do that on the Cobras. It will scAre the living hell out of you every 15 minutes during stormy times of the year and you can't really do anything but unplug the radio. The PC78 has an off setting on the weather bands so that it will not squeal.

Performance wise, I find them all about the same. I do think the PC78 is better, though, because of these things. It's honestly the first radio I haven't had to have repaired since I installed it. It has ridden about 450,000 miles now in a rattling, vibrating cab now. We don't call Freightliners Freightshakers for no reason. I drive on some really rough crappy roads every night, too.

I was going through Cobras at twice the rate and couldnt keep a Galaxy or Connex radio working for a couple of months. I decided to try the Uniden PC 78 and it's become my favorite.

My experience with the Unidens is from the early 80's, and they bought Cobra. So I have no idea what they are like (either of them) now. I just learned they were not a good design and that has stayed with me.

Paddletrucker
07-04-2011, 03:52 AM
My experience with the Unidens is from the early 80's, and they bought Cobra. So I have no idea what they are like (either of them) now. I just learned they were not a good design and that has stayed with me.

Yeah, come to think of it, there was a period in time back in the day that I hated the Unidens, too. Seemed like they were sold mostly at Wally_World and Radio Shack or something. They had funky switches, if I remember right, and I think most guys said they weren't very reliable.

The Uniden PC78 I have now, though, has been nothing less that awesome. I only bought it originally because of the back lighting and all my driving is at night.

Oh, just saw the pic of your 706. I LIKE IT! I'm really wanting a 7000, but they are SOOO expensive. I'd LOVE to find a 706MKIIG, but those things are hard to come by around here! When you do find them, they're either beat to hell, or the guy wants close to a grand for it. That 706 is a great radio.

Mudderoy
07-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah, come to think of it, there was a period in time back in the day that I hated the Unidens, too. Seemed like they were sold mostly at Wally_World and Radio Shack or something. They had funky switches, if I remember right, and I think most guys said they weren't very reliable.

The Uniden PC78 I have now, though, has been nothing less that awesome. I only bought it originally because of the back lighting and all my driving is at night.

Oh, just saw the pic of your 706. I LIKE IT! I'm really wanting a 7000, but they are SOOO expensive. I'd LOVE to find a 706MKIIG, but those things are hard to come by around here! When you do find them, they're either beat to hell, or the guy wants close to a grand for it. That 706 is a great radio.

Mine was like new, and the guy was selling it because he bought a 7000. I see them on ebay for $600 all the time, but I never follow them long enough to see the actual selling price. I got mine from a local guy on the local repeater.

osfp
09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Galaxy radios pricey but worth it look on ebay and get one tuned and peaked I use Galaxy 949 works great. I also have cobra 25, and uniden with the weather channels both good radios.