PDA

View Full Version : Tire Size and Lift Height

cher96
05-12-2009, 01:22 AM
This is a chart with recommended tire size to lift height.

http://i44.tinypic.com/11vnng4.jpg

There are many opinions. Especially when companies want to sell you a lift kit.
Most of the lift kits have tire size suggestions. They are fine if you plan to Mall Crawl.

I have my own recommendations I have derived from years of research into lift heights and tire size. I have read many an article, studied and dreamed about almost every lift kit in production while imagining that kit being installed on my XJ. I have studied hoards of photos of XJs with different lift kits and tire sizes. And, certainly I have personally been around enough XJs and talked to many owners to squeeze what ever information I could get them to talk about their build. I can talk about XJs all day long. I am obsessed, I know.

I have posted some of this before and here it is put together and edited with a touch more added.

At 3" of lift, most kits are pretty complete with some exceptions. Some do not have Shocks included, some without Control Arms, and some without both. Any lift 3"s and taller should also have Extended Brake Lines installed, an Adjustable Track Bar and a Drop Pitman Arm.

Any lift 3.5"s to 5"s or so may get away without having to install an SYE and Drive Shaft by using a Transfer Case Drop Kit. However, if vibration occurs, then an SYE and Drive Shaft are a must.

Any Short Arm Kit over 4.5 may be a little Rough Riding. Over 4.5, it is better to go with a Long Arm Kit. Anything over 6.5, you may have plenty of Front End Steering Problems and other Complications and may need to install a Steering Conversion Kit. There are a lot of differences between Lift Sizes and what comes with those kits.

5.5" and taller Short Arm Lift Kits should use Control Arm Drop Brackets for a better ride and articulation.

"Go as High as you can Afford. Tire Size can follow. Upgrading Tires is easier and cheaper than Upgrading a Lift and it's install costs."

If you plan to run 33s... go 4.5 with a lot of cutting of the fenders.

If you plan to run 33s... go 5.5 or 6.5 with NO cutting of the fenders.

If your going to run 31s or 32s then 4.5 is fine.

If your going to run 28s - 30s then 3" is fine.

This is just my opinion. There are as many opinions as there are stars.

It really all depends on how your Jeep sits and what Lift Kit you get. Some lift kits like those from Rubicon Express actually lifts you higher than advertised lift height; other kits lower and others right on the mark. It all depends on who you buy from and what lift kit you buy.

BlueXJ
05-12-2009, 01:41 AM
I stickied this thread because it should be helpful to many as a reference. Thanks Vicki.

cher96
05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Jp Magazine is one of the best authorities when it comes to Jeep Builds. Here is a chart that has been uploaded and edited to reflect Tire Size and Lift Height for the different models of Cherokee. In Europe the Liberty is known as a Cherokee.

This is the URL to a write up from Jp Magazine on Self-Clearance Prevention:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_0512_jeep_lift_tire_fitment_charts/guide.html

Take time and imagine what Lift Kit and Tires would make your Jeep look and do what you want it to.

This is the Citation for this Chart:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_0512_jeep_lift_tire_fitment_charts/photo_05.html

http://i39.tinypic.com/16bd72g.jpg

N1TZU
06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Great imfo cher96, Thank you......

jimsredxj
01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
thank's for the info! the rear springs are shot in my jeep, so i was looking for a lift kit that included them. i want at least run 35's without triming. with all the kits out there, what one would you go with?

4.3LXJ
01-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Lots of good information Vicki. But I would like to add one exception. If you want to run 31s and don't have the cash for the more expensive lifts, you can use a 2 or three inch or even no lift at all for some of the shorter 31s by not using aftermarket wheels. This allows the tire to stuff up into the fender and not hit the flare. 31s will hit the LCA in a tight turn, so don't just try to cram the steering wheel and on full stuff will minimally touch the inside of the rear fender flare. Not a big deal in the two times I have done this. But once you use aftermarket wheels, you will have to follow the chart.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
just had to say i ran 3" lift with 33's and so have a few of my friends. another buddy of mine is runnin 33 with 4.5" very minor cutting. im not runnin 36" with 6" lift. also i am on short arms .

muddinmikey
10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
good info i'am just starting mine and this will help alot thank u

Jeepster19
10-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I like the chart on the lift height&tire size,but i have one question.The BDS 6.5" lift I am going to put on my 98 Xj,I want to go with a wider 33" tire than recommended.They recommend 33x12.50x15 with 4.5" of backspacing with a 8" rim.I want to use a 33x13.50x15 on a 10" rim,any idea on the correct backspacing to make this combination work?

bluedragon436
10-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you for this information... as I am currently debating what size tires to run with my 4.5" lift that I am working on putting together as we speak... well parts wise putting together, not putting together on my XJ... unfortunately!!

modestmar00xj
11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
good information man thanks!

LizardRunner
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I like the chart on the lift height&tire size,but i have one question.The BDS 6.5" lift I am going to put on my 98 Xj,I want to go with a wider 33" tire than recommended.They recommend 33x12.50x15 with 4.5" of backspacing with a 8" rim.I want to use a 33x13.50x15 on a 10" rim,any idea on the correct backspacing to make this combination work?

stock is 5.25 backspacing with a 7" rim width. Wider tires require some math come into play to pick the right back spacing. The tires your talking about would need a rim with 3.5" back space most likely, to keep from having interference problems. You are going 3" wider on rim width over stock so the backspacing would have to get 1.5" to the negative side.
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?pictureid=1971&albumid=232&dl=1294253923&thumb=1
a lot of people are using wheel spacers, this is good if the backspace would be too far from centered in a backspaced wheel for safety and intgrety of the rim.

willtodo
05-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Well despite my efforts looks like ive got quite a bit of fender rub,,probly got carried away with the backspacing,,sure does look good though,,, 6.5 RC 33x12.5x15 on 10in rims,, it rubs on the rear outer portion of finder,, in this case my stock flare. Whats my best corse of action,, i dont want to cut finder but will,,,i dont want to loose my well mud guard,,, does the bushwacker cutouts fix this?

4.3LXJ
05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Yes, the bushwackers will. See our vender here for some really tough flares that are cheaper than bushwackers.

willtodo
05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
cool

Loko XJ
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I have found an ultimate set of tires for my 2001 XJ ,They are a remould tire..with the famous Silverstone tyre tread made overseas..but they are DOT legal here..size is 32-10.5x16..lots of tread depth..my guess would be 24+ 32s of tread..my question is..would these fit on 16x8 aftermarket wheels on mine with a 3" rough country lift..??...thanks to all who can help..back spacing is 3.75 ..Loko

4.3LXJ
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Yup. Just right. Might end up doing a little trimming tough depending on how much you stuff them in the rear. Some rear bumpstoping will be in order with those aftermarket? wheels. If stock back spacing, should be good to go

XJ Wheeler
11-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I can almost guarantee your gonna have to trim the front fenders/flares to fit the 32".

Loko XJ
11-10-2012, 08:10 AM
thanks..dont mind trimming the fenders or rear quarter panel opening,.thanks again ..Loko

cantab27
11-10-2012, 11:35 AM
thanks..dont mind trimming the fenders or rear quarter panel opening,.thanks again ..Loko

have ya got a pic of said silverstone look a like.....great mud tire..

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/westport%202012/2012205-1.jpg

these tires are a true muddie and will brake stock shit on ya jeep...:D

Dntfkndie
09-15-2015, 05:40 PM
First and fore most I did not write this. But I agree with every word and I thought this would be a great help for any one else looking at lift size an tire size. I found this on another forum while doing research an saved it because it is in my opinion a pretty ingenious way to build a quite able low cog big tire XJ! http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/low-cog-suspension-setup-tricks-tips-revised-9-24-12-a-32980/ Very good read, it's a lot to read an take in but well worth it for some one looking for a seriously capable rig!:D

4.3LXJ
09-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Ha, the Cherokee Forum LCOG agenda. A couple of us have gotten in trouble on there for DARING to have something taller. Bear in mind the poster on that thread has trashed at least three XJs that I know of

Dntfkndie
09-15-2015, 08:23 PM
I didn't know that. I mean regardless of the bad blood, he still brings good points to the table. I've had both, a tall XJ with leafs all around an it was a lot of fun, now I understand being leafs springs limited it (was my first XJ build). But after that I built a much lower long arm XJ using a lot of the same things he did an sat it on 38's, fit 40's but limited travel, an it performed right up there with several other jeeps an buggies I wheeled with. One buggies I wheeled with was a full tune chassis build with an LS currie 9's atlas twin stick 44's etc the whole shabang an I could 98% of what he could. I won't ever bash some one preferred method of building, to each his own, which is why I just thought maybe some one else on here would find it Interesting as I did.

4.3LXJ
09-15-2015, 08:56 PM
I am not disagreeing with the good points of LCOG. It just isn't the only way. That is the problem there. My point then and still is, build the rig for what you want it to do. KTMRacer lives back east. The rocks are a lot smaller there than in the Sierras where I wheel. The last run I was on in August, I bounced the XJ off a few rocks in spite of my taller lift. The funny thing was the guys that were arguing with me didn't wheel. They were web wheelers.

HB2RVR
12-07-2015, 01:46 PM
anyone recommend running 36" tires?

prerunner1982
12-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Not on stock axles, unless they have been geared correctly, trussed, and have chromoly shafts. Swapping in 1 ton axles wouldn't be a bad idea.

HB2RVR
12-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Thinking about installing them on xj Dana44 and gear to 4.88. Thoughts?

4.3LXJ
12-07-2015, 02:43 PM
The 44 will handle them fine. The D30 front will be a little iffy though. It is a little to much for the unit bearings and may be too much for the axle shaft U joints. Don't put the power to it with the steering wheel turned all the way to either side

Ryanriddle14
07-17-2017, 11:11 AM
I've looked over so many forums and I cannot find a straight forward answer. I am going to run a Rubicon Express 3.5in Super-Ride kit on my 1987 XJ. In reality this kit puts on 4.25in of lift. I'm going to use 10.50 wide tires. WHAT SHOULD MY BACKSPACING BE??? The Rubicon Express website recommends bs between 4.00"-4.75" so I decided I'm gonna get 16x8 wheels with 4.5" of bs but everyone says I'm going to have rubbing issues and I'm trying to avoid trimming. So then I decided to go with 15x8 wheels with 3.75" of bs but still people are telling me I'm gonna have issues with rubbing. Can somebody please clear the air for me? Also, will I be able to fit 265/75r16 (32x10.50) tires? On the Quadratec YouTube channel, they installed this lift and they put the same size on their XJ and didn't have to trim anything.

XJ Wheeler
07-17-2017, 09:17 PM
It's really gonna come down to flex. With around 4" lift you should clear those tires for street use and even if you needed to trim it would be minimal on the bottom of the front flares. Now flexing is another story. I do believe you'll be rubbing with that combination if your flexing decently. Although the main area for contact is the front lower flare/fender and is easily trimmed should you decide it's worth it and I suggest it. The bumper covers most of that portion anyway. For the bs I don't have a ton of knowledge on but can say I had 15x8 with 3.75" bs on 31x10.50s that was well clear of the control arms. It does make it a bit wide for the height and may make it contact the flare easier but if you ever plan to go higher and keep the same wheels I would stick with it so you can fit a 12.5 no problem. Although if you want to stay with the same setup the 4.5" bs should work fine and may fit the tire in the well better. You can see my rig back when I had the 31s on 15x8 3.75" bs, and it's on the Rubicon Express 4.5" superflex kit. Which did come out higher as is just how it is with Rubicon, 5" front, 5.5" rear. It flexed well enough I had to trim a good bit for full flex, even with the 31x10.50s. And you could always bumpstop, but that would be at a premium sacrifice of uptravel.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/119e13ae9a55377d8401ea1efd8ea9e3.jpg

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.