PDA

View Full Version : I give you.....'Crusty

DETOURS
05-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Not really my rig per~say......but my very first XJ 11 years ago, came back to me....
10 years ago I left it at my parents home in N. Carolina for my folks to cruise the beach with and for us to use when we did'nt bring a Jeep to visit, also to access the beach. I sold it to my father for a dollar, this past Christmas I bought it back for a dollar, it was far from running condition at this point.....it last saw the beach last summer.

At this point, I've invested $32.00 into it, and she again fly's down the road.

It's a 1988 Cherokee Pioneer, it's pretty bone stock, 5 speed......the bumpers where some of the first I ever built, long before I considered creating a company, I put the rims & tires on 11 years ago as well.........hell, the oil filter is probably also 11 years old..........:thumbsup:

Anywho, shes up & running again......coming to a craigslist near you!! :smiley-laughing021:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6540.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6541.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6542.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6543.jpg

Plans before sale.......replace that hidious front bumper, change the oil, vacume the sand out of it..... :popcorn:

xjjeepthing
05-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice, Glad your fabs skills have improved LOL

Melissa
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Looks Very Good

Your not really going to put it up on CL are you?

Mudderoy
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
She's very pretty, the bumers are nice, but the bumpers do not have nearly as much style as what you build.

I want that side protection on mine damnit!

N1TZU
05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
The jeep dosn't look bad at all, I think it has a very unique appearance.

Mudderoy
05-10-2009, 09:04 PM
No it looks good. He needs to keep it for Owen to drive. :smiley-laughing021:

cher96
05-10-2009, 09:49 PM
If that was one of your first fabrications.... you must be an artist now!
Nice looking '88.

BlueXJ
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Wanna double your investment? I'll give you $65 and you can leave the sand.
I need that 5 speed. I just bought an 89 MJ and it has a trashed BA10 and it needs replacin'. Have you built any bumpers for an MJ? I also like the diamondplated side moulding on "Crusty"

BlueXJ
05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
When I saw the title to this thread this is what I expected to see.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/Funny%20pics/krusty.jpg

muddeprived
05-11-2009, 02:24 AM
You should keep er man. Keep it in the family and use it as a beta-tester for your products, or new ones you come up with.

DETOURS
05-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I just bought an 89 MJ and it has a trashed BA10 and it needs replacin'. Have you built any bumpers for an MJ?

Heheheeeeee........I've built a few...:popcorn:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/untitledmatt.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/DSC_0040.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/378783207sgJAAD_ph.jpg

BlueXJ
05-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I like that!!! You got any frontal views?? Is the XJ a direct bolt on (I don't think of any reason not) and do you have a non winch bumper?

DETOURS
05-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I dont do anything without a winch mount.
The MJ rear bumpers are custom, as in really custom since I dont have a donor and need the truck it's being built to in my shop......someday I'll find a SWB MJ donor in decent shape. Also used to build the slyders as well, but theres really not much demand so I dumped the jigs.

Front view......the red MJ sported a BackBone, the brown one already had a winch bumper, anything XJ bolts up to the MJ. (Up front/bumpers)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/DSC_0362Matt.jpg

N1TZU
05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Real nice work Mark !!!:thumbsup:

DETOURS
05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Thankyou sir. :D

Melissa
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Spanky are you ignoring my question? Or are you feeling guilty about wanting to sell the jeep? :D

Why do you want to sell?

BlueXJ
05-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I dont do anything without a winch mount.
The MJ rear bumpers are custom, as in really custom since I dont have a donor and need the truck it's being built to in my shop......someday I'll find a SWB MJ donor in decent shape. Also used to build the slyders as well, but theres really not much demand so I dumped the jigs.

Front view......the red MJ sported a BackBone, the brown one already had a winch bumper, anything XJ bolts up to the MJ. (Up front/bumpers)

What of the LWB MJs (which is what I bought) do they also use a regular SWB rear bumper and what of the longer sliders. Mine has no rear bumper ATM. I really like the rear bumper that the MJ in the picture with the bed mounted rollbar has. Very nice use of recovery points and diamond plated corners and quarters. Do you remember how to do that or does my junk need to come to Kaintuck to get me one of those?

DETOURS
05-13-2009, 11:44 AM
What of the LWB MJs (which is what I bought) do they also use a regular SWB rear bumper and what of the longer sliders. Mine has no rear bumper ATM. I really like the rear bumper that the MJ in the picture with the bed mounted rollbar has. Very nice use of recovery points and diamond plated corners and quarters. Do you remember how to do that or does my junk need to come to Kaintuck to get me one of those?

LWB MJ's are usually bastardized from what I've seen, people generally wont put any money into them and the ones that are willing to spend money, are a very small handfull, thus not creating enough demand to justify the investment on the manufacturers end......I tried 3 years ago, the square footage the jigs took up was worth more empty.

SWB & LWB require different slyders, and different bumpers........from the wheel well back, LWB is longer.

Just like the XJ, rear lower quarters are compound angles.......the only way I've found to build a clean, tight, good fuctioning bumper is to build it on a body.......so ya, I'd need your junk.
I'm not currently seaking any MJ's, but when a decent one comes around, I'll buy it for jigging. (I should say- I'll buy it, cut it up.....and use in for jigging)

Mudderoy
05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I know virtually nothing about the MJ's other than I'd like to have one.

Did they come in long wheel base and short wheel base? I thought it was only long wheel base, or in the "truck" world a long bed.

I want a short wheel base MJ, is why I ask.

DETOURS
05-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Looks Very Good

Your not really going to put it up on CL are you?

"Hey Spanky are you ignoring my question? Or are you feeling guilty about wanting to sell the jeep?

Why do you want to sell? "

Ummmmmmmmmm.............Yes, I am.

Trust me, Owen will have his pick of many options when the time comes, I never get attached to vehicals, the wife dosent understand that I build and dump, build...drive....dump, buy-sell the same day.....etc......but shes getting used to it........I cant begin to tell you how many vehicals I've owned since I was 13......(at 13, it was a Pinto I used as a field car/oversized go cart.....lol)

So.....I dont feel bad about selling. :cheerleader:

DETOURS
05-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I know virtually nothing about the MJ's other than I'd like to have one.

Did they come in long wheel base and short wheel base? I thought it was only long wheel base, or in the "truck" world a long bed.

I want a short wheel base MJ, is why I ask.

SWB= Short wheel base
LWB= Long wheel base

The cab's are kinda small, at 6'....I dont fit well.....and I aint overwheight. :popcorn: (I do like popcorn though!)

Mudderoy
05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
SWB= Short wheel base
LWB= Long wheel base

The cab's are kinda small, at 6'....I dont fit well.....and I aint overwheight. :popcorn: (I do like popcorn though!)

Yeah I got the LWB and SWB that's why I was asking. I had thought that any SWB was a chop job.

I guess this guy was running along side his SWB then.... :smiley-laughing021:

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/mj.jpg

DETOURS
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Umm.....no.........Thats an XJ.

Mudderoy
05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Umm.....no.........Thats an XJ.

That was sure done nice then. How can you tell? No separation between the cab and the bed?

muddeprived
05-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Yeah I got the LWB and SWB that's why I was asking. I had thought that any SWB was a chop job.

I guess this guy was running along side his SWB then.... :smiley-laughing021:

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/mj.jpg

Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy!
Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy! Sexy!

The vehicle JEEP should be producing right now and it would be VERY popular. Just look at it........sexy. :smiley-scared002:

muddeprived
05-14-2009, 06:00 AM
That was sure done nice then. How can you tell? No separation between the cab and the bed?

that's how I knew. It's a two piece pickup.

cher96
05-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I had thought that it may be an XJ conversion when I saw there was no break between the truck bed and cab and i noticed those are not roll bars... they are supports to strengthen and stiffen up the the rear end.

DETOURS
05-14-2009, 09:59 AM

That & wheelbase.....

I saw it years ago on the web........I think an MJ roof & back side was grafted onto the XJ, MJ bedrails have pockets....thats not to say the upper rails werent used, pockets filled. 97+ tail lights wont fit into the MJ area....thats an early XJ rear bumper on a 97+ XJ........details, details......

Whoever/whatever and how it came to be......dunno, but it's an exceptional fabrication......they got everything right. :thumbsup:

whowey
05-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Nice looking XJ, but that front bumper belongs on a grass rig for the local volunteer Fire Department.

Now lets see some pics of the J-truck hiding in the barn.

BlueXJ
05-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice looking XJ, but that front bumper belongs on a grass rig for the local volunteer Fire Department.

Now lets see some pics of the J-truck hiding in the barn.

Yeah I saw that truck hiding and was hoping that Spanky would volunteer the info but it doesn't look like he is gonna let that out without a prybar.

DETOURS
05-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Heheeeeeeee......The J truck? Thats goin on the auction block as well very soon, it' a 1 owner, I'm it's second and have'nt put 25 miles on it......I scare up some photo's next time I log on.................I just found a '73 Wagoneer, 1 owner I'm trying to buy.......this will better suite the family and the 7" lift I bought for the J truck.......I'll just hold onto and see how muck of it will fit under the Wagoneer.....of course it'll need the Gladiator treatment as well! :popcorn:

DETOURS
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
That front bumper belongs on a grass rig for the local volunteer Fire Department.

Nicely said, thanks for the laugh and I agree........since I'm keeping the rear bumper, the front needs to match better, I'm using only scrap and so far.....this is the new front bumpers frame.....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/100_6573.jpg

It needs to be light weight and no recovery points, I'm not keeping the XJ and dont feel it's a good canidate for a lift....so I'm not really promoting it to the off road crowd as such......

Melissa
05-21-2009, 12:59 AM
That looks nice there Spanky :)

BlueXJ
05-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Spanky have you picked out a name for that tubular looking front end yet? Looks nice but what kind of approach angle does it have??

DETOURS
05-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Spanky have you picked out a name for that tubular looking front end yet? Looks nice but what kind of approach angle does it have??

You talkin about the one on the website, in the customers section?
If so, if I remember correctly...at 5" of lift/on 33"s it was 65 degrees..
As far as a name.....it could be a "CBBS" Front XJ Bumpa.....:headbag:

CBBS= "Custom Back Bone on Steriods"

If I'm refering to the wrong bumpa, straighten me out....:rolleyes:

DETOURS
05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Soooo....in between the normal work load today, Crusty's new bumper was finshed.....after grinding, it was sprayed with bedliner....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6576.jpg

While that was drying and other work was cooling, I stripped all that crap off the nose of ol'Crusty and trimmed the fenders up & back a bit.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6580.jpg

Obviously.....this bumper isnt for everyones taist, remember it was fabricated from scrap and it needed to somewhat match the old rear bumper as well.....I'm thinking of it as a street Jeep bumper, the lo-buck driving lights were used off the old bumpa........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6579sml.jpg

And there she is......I'm kinda diggin it for scrap welded together and I think with some minor changes......there might be a new non-winch bumper coming to town......who knows? ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/100_6582.jpg

Crusty just might do pretty good on Craigslist.........:cheerleader:

Melissa
05-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Damn Spanky, That looks awesome :drool:

Me really likey!!!

Mudderoy
05-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Very nice, Muddy like. That makes the tube bumper look much more like a real bumper. That should be good for 50 more horse power and $1500 on the asking price. :driving:

BlueXJ
05-22-2009, 01:12 AM
You talkin about the one on the website, in the customers section?
If so, if I remember correctly...at 5" of lift/on 33"s it was 65 degrees..
As far as a name.....it could be a "CBBS" Front XJ Bumpa.....:headbag:

CBBS= "Custom Back Bone on Steriods"

If I'm refering to the wrong bumpa, straighten me out....:rolleyes:

I was referring to "Crusty's" new bumpa. I think you should market that but I would put expanded metal where the diamond plate is on the commercially available units if you market them.:)

DETOURS
05-22-2009, 07:23 AM
I was referring to "Crusty's" new bumpa. I think you should market that but I would put expanded metal where the diamond plate is on the commercially available units if you market them.:)

Well, stick around....I have some idea changes I'd like to explore with this design, expanded metal maybe involved as well.....;)

BlueXJ
05-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, stick around....I have some idea changes I'd like to explore with this design, expanded metal maybe involved as well.....;)

Sticking around boss. Looking forward to the further use of expanded metal too.

Mudderoy
05-22-2009, 08:48 AM

You know that bumper isn't bad for a 4x4 XJ, but it is perfect for a 4x2. Gives it a custom look. Put you a colored LED behind that JEEP in the bumper and YEEEHAAAWWW

weaselguys
05-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Did you trash the front bumper or keep it ? It looks like it might lend itself well to some modification in to a nice winch bumper

DETOURS
05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Trashed it, the tubing behind it no longer existed...........;)

kennzz05
05-29-2009, 06:49 PM
quite impressive sir, you r da man. complements are good for 40% off right? lol

ally
05-29-2009, 08:06 PM
thats got style!!!

DETOURS
05-30-2009, 06:58 PM
quite impressive sir, you r da man. complements are good for 40% off right? lol

Actually 47% on Tuesdays after 9pm! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words.....Crusty got new 16 dolla brake pads from Rockauto.com put on today, found the front coils to be broken on both sides, musta been from the 3/4 mile long worth of woopty-dooos ya gotta drive over to get onto the beach over the years......:headshake:

I've almost gone over budget with this thing.........
Dollar buy-back.....(keeping it legal)
$32 ebay siloniod...(shipped)
$21 Rockauto pads..(shipped)
$7.50 Bedliner spray...(Wallyworld)
$3.00 Undercoating....(Napa)

$64.50 Total so far.......:popcorn:

BlueXJ
05-31-2009, 12:32 AM
OK you convinced me $101.00 dollars for it as it sets. Don't do anything more to it. Let me know where to paypal the money to.

DETOURS
06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm 95% sure it's already sold.....$1,200......

If this individual dosent come through, it's going on CL for $1,800......I'm kinda hoping the current individual who wants it, backs out. ;)

muddeprived
06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm 95% sure it's already sold.....$1,200......

If this individual dosent come through, it's going on CL for $1,800......I'm kinda hoping the current individual who wants it, backs out. ;)

If you were closer my gf would take that rig off your hands like....right now.

Melissa
06-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Hell if I were closer, I'd have been camped out at your door till you sold it to me!!

DETOURS
06-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Dont forget, it's an '88....it's 21 years old......with the Renix motor, crappy clutch system, weak tranny, vacume Dana 30 and a Dana 35 rear hiney......there isnt much disirerable other than the front tilt seat system to this year XJ......:headshake:......but hell, who am I to judge? :cheerleader:

Dirt Dogg Rydas
06-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Dont forget, it's an '88....it's 21 years old......with the Renix motor, crappy clutch system, weak tranny, vacume Dana 30 and a Dana 35 rear hiney......there isnt much disirerable other than the front tilt seat system to this year XJ......:headshake:......but hell, who am I to judge? :cheerleader:

well if whoever buys it from you only uses it for the road I'm sure they would be happy with the purchase:)

DETOURS
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
The saga is over..........Crusty, is gone! :boohoo:

Time to move onto the J10! :thumbsup:

Crusty, after replaced springs and a buffed hood..........Bye, Bye Crusty!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/000_0084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/000_0085.jpg

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

muddeprived
06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
The saga is over..........Crusty, is gone! :boohoo:

Time to move onto the J10! :thumbsup:

Crusty, after replaced springs and a buffed hood..........Bye, Bye Crusty!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/000_0084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/Detours/000_0085.jpg

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Looks like it came from the showroom floor. bye bye crusty :(

DETOURS
06-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Looks like it came from the showroom floor. bye bye crusty :(

as long as you dont look under it.......................................:thumbsup :

BlueXJ
06-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Is Crusty sold then? I am going to miss Crusty.

Mudderoy
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Spanky should buy, fix and resell XJs. Hmmm that would be called "flipping" in the house market.

DETOURS
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Was offered a '95 yesterday, $300.00.........heavy hit in the front, 191k, had some rust, bad headliner...........I told them they could keep it. Still ran and drove though...........I feel I'm better off without it!

Got a Rubi coming over for awhile, getting the full monty............;)

Mudderoy
06-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Was offered a '95 yesterday, $300.00.........heavy hit in the front, 191k, had some rust, bad headliner...........I told them they could keep it. Still ran and drove though...........I feel I'm better off without it!

Got a Rubi coming over for awhile, getting the full monty............;)

We need pictures, even if it isn't a XJ. :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Pic would certainly help! We like pics of nearly any Jeep, even the FC one in your avatar, which were the worst looking thing Jeep ever created in my opinion.