PDA

View Full Version : What Size Lift

Melissa
05-08-2009, 03:14 AM
Okay I ordered a three inch lift for my Jeep, but since I am not going to put it on until I have the wheels and tires to go with it, I thought I would take a poll to see what size lift you all think I should go with :smiley-scared002:

Stay with the 3" or go with the 4.5"

DETOURS
05-08-2009, 07:11 AM
4.5"
What brand did you go with?

BlueXJ
05-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Much of the lift quality is dependant upon the maker much like an eBay bumper vs a Detours so therefore inquiring minds want to know.

chayes
05-08-2009, 09:09 AM
4.5" is a good safe way to go and even looks good. What size tires are you going with?

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Remember the higher the lift, the larger the tire you can run (other factors here) and the more ground to diff clearance you can have. This is the lowest point after all.

Audio222
05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I have the RE 3.5 and it works just fine but if I had to do it all over again I would get the 4.5" lift. Remember because of the price you payed you basically have stolen that lift, I would have bought it at that price. We all payed a lot more money

DETOURS
05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Remember the higher the lift, the larger the tire you can run (other factors here) and the more ground to diff clearance you can have. This is the lowest point after all.

Also allows more 'stuffing of the rubba, and when set up correctly....better articulation.............not to mention, it's sexier..... :thumbsup:

cher96
05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Any Short Arm Kit over 4.5 may be a little Rough Riding. However, mine is fine at 5".

I run a 3" Rock Krawler Lift with 2" Spacers and 2.5" Shackles. I have installed Adjustable Lower Control Arms and I find the Ride Fine Enough. The Lift did not come with control arms or shocks, however, I had Shocks for a 5" Lift installed.

Go as High as you can Afford. Tire Size can follow. Upgrading Tires is easier and cheaper than Upgrading a Lift and it's install costs.

If you plan to run 33s... go 4.5 with a lot of cutting of the fenders.

If your going to run 31s or 32s then 4.5 is fine. Many people run with 31s on a 3" lift, however, in full articulation my experience has been that the tires scrub the fender well. I would never tell anyone to start off with a 3" lift. Most people, I think, usually end up higher.

Since I run a 5" lift and have cut out my fenders... I plan to go to 33s on my next tire purchase. At that height it is easy for me to just slide into the driver's seat without having to climb into my XJ. I am tall for a lady.

Hope this helps.

cher96
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
BTW You could add a budget lift Like I did to your 3" lift for around $90 off Ebay. You would have to buy 5" lift shocks (3" lift shocks plus 2" from Pro Comp or someone else) for the 3" and 2" setup. You could sell the new shocks for the 3" lift on Ebay or to a friend for full price since they are new.

Or sell the 3" lift and buy a 4.5" if that is what you decide. Lots of choices.

Good luck...

Just my .02

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 03:11 PM
BTW You could add a budget lift Like I did to your 3" lift for around $90 off Ebay. You would have to buy 5" lift shocks (3" lift shocks plus 2" from Pro Comp or someone else) for the 3" and 2" setup. You could sell the new shocks for the 3" lift on Ebay or to a friend for full price since they are new.

Or sell the 3" lift and buy a 4.5" if that is what you decide. Lots of choices.

Good luck...

Just my .02

I went with a 4.5" lift because that is the highest I could get without having to do a SYE. Now I'm glad I did because with my rear bumper and tire carrier I needed an extra lift in the back. My plans are to go to 6.5" once the SYE is installed and 35" tires. I'll do 2" spacers in front and just move the rear springs to the next hole on the shackles. I'm sure a drop pitman arm and track bar a long with brake lines will be in my future. I just bought front shocks that are for 4" to 6" lifts. So with the winch and custom front bumper I think I'll be in it's range.

cher96
05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
My 3" Rock Krawler lift (from 4wheelparts) came with an adjustable track bar and a drop pitman arm but no shocks and no control arms. I thought the stock lower control arms were too flimsy so I got a pair of adjustables from Iron Man 4x4. They are really nice and affordable off of Ebay. I bought the spacers for under 30$ off Ebay and I ordered 1.5/2.5" shackles from BTW Performance Azusa CA for $53 shipped. The shocks (3" lift + 2") I got from 4wheelparts and picked them up from their store 3 miles from me. I have extended brake lines from when I bought the 3" lift.

I would have loved to go to a 4.5 at the time but couldn't afford it. I ran with the 3" lift for about 6 months before I added the 2 inches to it.

At 5" of lift, I have still not had to go with an SYE. I can not afford one at this time anyhow. Thank God I have no vibration problems.

Melissa
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I went with a Rough Country lift from Jc Whitney, and after all was said and done, I paid less than a $100 for it http://www.jcwhitney.com/ROUGH-COUNTRY-LIFT-KITS/GP_2005817_N_111+1993+200728794+600003436_10101.jc w

I would like to keep my Jeep as stock as possible since I don't off road very much and never where I would really need a lift. I just like to take all the back country roads that are not paved to see where I end up. I don't want to have to cut the fenders, so I will go with the smalles tire size I can get away with, but that still looks good.

I decided to get a lift because I really would like my jeep to sit a little higher.

So any suggestions on tire and wheels would be great, This is going to be the first lift I have ever bought for myself so I am new to everything that goes with it.

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 04:40 PM
In the computer world people still say "That disk drive is too big, I'll never use that." I laugh because you can and will.

Now there is a such of a thing as a lift too high, but I disagree with your logic. Why would you want a rig that is limited to a certain type of road? You never know what life or nature will throw at you. Don't put yourself in the situation of wishing you had done just a little more.

Now with that said, my 4.5" lift was about $400 plus shipping ($30). Later I bought leaf springs that were $200. So my 4.5" lift was really $600.

For less that $100 it might be worth getting the 3" and adding stuff to lift it further in the future. I just wonder how much you'll have to spend to get more lift out of it.

How is the rear being lifted in that kit? Shackles? You will probably have to replace those leaf springs with in a couple of years, and like I said that's $200 just for the springs.

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I didn't see the link before. Do not get that lift. It uses blocks to raise the rear. Blocks will allow the leaf spring to deform and you'll damage the u-join or worse case drop the rear driveshaft.

You need add a leaf (worse) and full leaf spring replacement (best).

Melissa
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Then I need suggestions on what lifts kits I should go with as well.

Remember I am new to this so links and lots of info would really help, thanks!!

cher96
05-08-2009, 04:59 PM
That add is way too confusing....

For that price did you get 3" coil spacers with shackles and blocks? If so... not a good solution for a lift. Anything over 2" spacers or uses lift blocks is not good. Lift blocks cause axle wrap... not good with the XJs weak springs.
Usually 3" coil springs go for over $100 alone.

Short Add A Leafs also don't last very long. I have full length Add A Leafs and they have already started to flatten out. I will have to replace them with full leaf packs soon.

I am concerned for you (because I always care about people I do not know).

What components did your lift come with?

'

cher96
05-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry, took too long to post and you all beat me to it.

If you do not want to spend much and are not going hard core than a Rusty's Offroad or a Rough Country kit is fine for up to 4.5

I like Rock Krawler kits personally. Really tuff and affordable.

Correction... Prices have really risen with them! Too expensive for anything other than the 3" Entry Lift Kit. Sorry.

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Then I need suggestions on what lifts kits I should go with as well.

Remember I am new to this so links and lots of info would really help, thanks!!

This is the one (http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=623H&partner=4wheelingplus) I got. It is from one of our vendors 4wheelingplus, Ron.

Later I added the 4.5" full leaf springs.

DETOURS
05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
ALL of this is bad......not cher96's comments, but the lifts that have been pointed out.
Before I suggest another word.......

Mel, what are your plans for your XJ?
Street?
Farm?
Trails to include some real terrain/rock?

Melissa
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
ALL of this is bad......not cher96's comments, but the lifts that have been pointed out.
Before I suggest another word.......

Mel, what are your plans for your XJ?
Street?
Farm?
Trails to include some real terrain/rock?

Mostly street driving, I do use it to get through the fields on the ranch when they are muddy, all the off roading I do is take a dirt road to see where it leads, but if it looks like I'm gonna need the 4x4 to get around on that road, I don't take it. :)

N1TZU
05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Melissa, I just resently did the lift on my XJ. Which is the Robicon 4.5" w/spacers and longer shackles netting about 6"s of lift...with adjustable control arms-heavy duty adjustable trackbar and drop bracket. and many other mods listed in my sig. I would consider this setup semi extreme. You may not want this type of setup. From all the research I did, to do what I wanted on mine, I found its best to get a good quality kit to make your vehical safe to drive no matter what height you choose. It sounds like you want some lift but not too extreme. Going too high will require SYE-CV shaft-shim on axle-HD track bar-HD tie rods for big tires-Bla Bla Bla. It can get quite envolved. I don't know everything but I'm amased at how envolved it got. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.. Bob...

Mudderoy
05-09-2009, 04:27 AM
This is the one (http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=633X&cat=199) I would get. I hear a lot of good things about the Rubicon Express stuff.

xjjeepthing
05-09-2009, 08:12 AM
For what your intentions of using it for I would go with 3" and 31" tires. Get a complete lift, no blocks or AAL. 31" tires you can stay with your stock gears and still keep it drivable. The more tire you go the more gear you need. 3" and 31's will get you most places you want to go.

DETOURS
05-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Some good advise since your reply concerning the use of your Jeep.

A 'complete' package is the best option in my eyes, as Bob pointed out....safty should be one of your main concerns, a 'complete' lift from a company with a good reputation should be the 1st place to start shopping. Now obviously, we all have $$$ limitations, I'd say buy the best, most complete kit your dollar will allow, you'll be happier in the long run.

Cher96 put their kit together from multible sources, this is a great way to save some dough, 'if' you know what you need, whats required......it allows you to purchase components over time and swap parts out as you go.

For street use, a kit that does not replace your upper control arms is fine, in stock form, your uppers are just formed sheet metal.....in trail/rock enviroments, I've witnessed the stock uppers stretch, crack and actually rip free from their bushings.

I'm not a huge fan of 'add-a-leafs' on older, usually sagging XJ's........I know they're popular, but their not for me.

Dont overlook brake lines, extentions are a cheap solution, but a nice set of extended lines are much safer, and again on an older XJ.....you would most likely benifit from some new lines anyway due to their age.

I'll stop rambling.......:headbag:

cher96
05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Some good advise since your reply concerning the use of your Jeep.

A 'complete' package is the best option in my eyes, as Bob pointed out....safty should be one of your main concerns, a 'complete' lift from a company with a good reputation should be the 1st place to start shopping. Now obviously, we all have $$$ limitations, I'd say buy the best, most complete kit your dollar will allow, you'll be happier in the long run.

Cher96 put their kit together from multible sources, this is a great way to save some dough, 'if' you know what you need, whats required......it allows you to purchase components over time and swap parts out as you go.

For street use, a kit that does not replace your upper control arms is fine, in stock form, your uppers are just formed sheet metal.....in trail/rock enviroments, I've witnessed the stock uppers stretch, crack and actually rip free from their bushings.

I'm not a huge fan of 'add-a-leafs' on older, usually sagging XJ's........I know they're popular, but their not for me.

Dont overlook brake lines, extentions are a cheap solution, but a nice set of extended lines are much safer, and again on an older XJ.....you would most likely benifit from some new lines anyway due to their age.

I'll stop rambling.......:headbag:

I definitely agree... However, adjustable lower control arms are a must. It allows best placement of your front axle and if one day you do decide to change lift height they can be adjusted accordingly. Also, using the stock lowers is asking for trouble. They will twist or bend.

I would go with a full spring (leaf) pack if you can afford it. My Full Length Add A Leafs only lasted about 3 months before they began to flatten out.

"For what your intentions of using it for I would go with 3" and 31" tires. Get a complete lift, no blocks or AAL. 31" tires you can stay with your stock gears and still keep it drivable. The more tire you go the more gear you need. 3" and 31's will get you most places you want to go."

For what you stated as your use in the vehicle... I agree with xjjeepthing.
31s are fine with 3.55 gears. If you go larger... you would need to match gears to your tire size.

If you were to Rock Crawl, which I think that is not your intention... I would go a little taller with coil spacers and a 1" greasable shackle kit like that offered by Daystar. That way, more than likely you would not have to change out your shocks and with a transfer case drop kit (about $20) you would not need an SYE and new drive shaft. It would depend on the brand of shock. You may not need a transfer case drop kit with this height, however, if you do have vibration you would need to get one.

I hope this helps.

Vicki

Mudderoy
05-09-2009, 10:53 AM
That $800 kit that I told you to buy covers all that with the exception of the UCA and the track bar. I plan on getting these, but in the 2 years that I've been running the lift, it hasn't been an issue.

I want to replace my brake lines as well, but the kit comes with brake line relocators.

The RC 4.5" lift literally comes with everything you need for street and moderate off roading. The only thing you'll need is gears, and that is if you go 32" or larger tires.

cher96
05-09-2009, 11:16 AM
XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Kit
Code: RK-300SP-XJ Price: $438.00

KIT INCLUDES:
• Front 3" coil springs
• Rear 3" Leaf Springs
• Front hydro preformance shocks
• Rear hydro prformance shocks
• Rear brake line extension kit
• Grade 8 U-Bolts

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-300SP-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Jeep CHEROKEE XJ Adj. LOWER Control Arms 0"-8" lift by Iron Man 4x4 off Ebay: US $134.50

* THESE ARMS ARE VERY STRONG! THEY ARE MACHINED FROM 1 PIECE OF 1.25" SOLID!

* ALL WELDS ARE PRECISION PULSE MIG WELDED. BUSHINGS ARE POLYURETHANE WITH GREASE VEINS AND GREASE FITTINGS. EMAIL WITH QUESTIONS

* THREAD IS 1.25 X 12 TP1 THESE ARE WAY OVER BUILT AND COMPARABLE TO THE STRENGTH OF MOST LONG ARM KITS.

* THESE ARE OUR BRAND NEW DESIGN BETTER THAN EVER! COMPARE TO ANY OTHER CONTROL ARM MANUFACTURER.

* ADJUSTABLE FROM 16"-20" EYE TO EYE AND WEIGH 16 LBS A PAIR THESE ARMS ARE NO JOKE!

* 5 INCHES OF THREAD MEANS 4 INCHES OF ADJUSTMENT FOR UP TO AN 8" LIFT OR BIGGER! YOU CAN ALSO JUST SCOOT YOUR FRONT AXLE FORWARD WITH A SMALLER LIFT TO RUN BIGGER TIRES.

NOTE: THESE ARMS ARE OBVIOUSLY PRICED BELOW MARKET PRICES. TO ALLOW FOR THIS MOST ORDERS ARE BUILT UPON PURCHASE AND MAY TAKE SEVERAL DAYS TO SHIP. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-CHEROKEE-XJ-adj-LOWER-Control-Arms-0-8-lift_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m1c0971eba1QQitemZ120417545121QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5f TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Total: $572.50 plus Shipping (That's really a great price)

XJ Cherokee 4.5" Spring Pack Kit
Code: RK-405SP-XJ Price: $669.00

KIT INCLUDES:
• Front 4.5" coil springs
• Rear 4.5" leaf springs
• Fixed front lower control arms
• Front hydro performance shocks
• Rear hydro performance shocks
• Adjustable track bar
• Front Sway Bar Drop Kit
• Transfer case drop kit
• Brake line extension kit
• Grade 8 U-Bolts
• 6 degree shims

Everything you would need is included in this kit.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-405SP-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Hope this helps. For the little difference in price between these lifts... I would go with the 4.5. It is a great deal with all that comes with it! Because I do not think you would wish to go higher... you could stay with the Fixed front lower control arms and would not need the adjustable lower control arms. This kit is as complete as they come.

Vicki

Mudderoy
05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Be careful with Rusty's. I started to order something from them and their shipping was sky high. My RC 4.5" lift was $30 shipping from 4wheelingplus.com. That was 2 years ago, and shipping has increased so I'm not sure it would be $30 now. Just check the shipping from whoever you decide to go with.

XJrob
05-09-2009, 01:18 PM
i started out with a 3 and kicked myself in the @$$ for doing so. go 4.5 and dont look back.

Melissa
05-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments. I think I will send back the lift I bought and do more research before I buy a lift.

I will keep everyone informed as to what I end up with.

Again thanks alot!!!

Voldemort
05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I only have had 6" or bigger and they four door I'm working on now will be 7"-7.5". I could not see mine under that now.

Melissa
05-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I only have had 6" or bigger and they four door I'm working on now will be 7"-7.5". I could not see mine under that now.

My biggest problem is that I do not want to have to cut the fenders in any way. I like the stock look but not how low to the ground they are.

Voldemort
05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
My biggest problem is that I do not want to have to cut the fenders in any way. I like the stock look but not how low to the ground they are.

Well if you go 6.5"+ cutting fenders is not an issue but drive line probs can be.

cher96
05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Any Short Arm Kit over 4.5 may be a little Rough Riding. Over 4.5, it is better to go with a Long Arm Kit. Anything over 6.5, you may have plenty of Front End Steering Problems and other Complications.

"Go as High as you can Afford. Tire Size can follow. Upgrading Tires is easier and cheaper than Upgrading a Lift and it's install costs." as I posted before.

If you plan to run 33s... go 5.5 or 6.5 with NO cutting of the fenders.

If your going to run 31s or 32s then 4.5 is fine.

If your going to run 28s - 30s then 3" is fine.

Here is a 6.5" Kit with a Great price:

XJ Cherokee 6.5" Long Travel Kit
Code: RK-605LT-XJ Price: $1,740.00

KIT INCLUDES:
• Front 6.5" coil springs
• Rear 6.5" leaf springs
• 3" drop pitman arm
• HD trac bar
• Rusty's Frame Brace
• JKS front sway bar disconnects
• Front & rear stainless steel braided brake lines
• Grade 8 U-Bolts
• 6 degree shims

LONG ARM ASSEMBLY:
• HD cross member
• Adjustable long arm
• Adjustable radius arm
• Frame reinforcement (inner & outer)
• Hardware Kit

A SYE kit and a New Rear Drive Shaft will be required with this much lift.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-605LT-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Again, I hope this helps.

Melissa
05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Okay all, bare with me, If I were to get the 4.5 lift would I have to cut the fenders?

And I could run 30's on a 3" lift with no cutting the fenders?

For what I use my jeep for, I think a lift over 4.5 is not in my future.

cher96
05-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Okay all, bare with me, If I were to get the 4.5 lift would I have to cut the fenders?

And I could run 30's on a 3" lift with no cutting the fenders?

For what I use my jeep for, I think a lift over 4.5 is not in my future.

"If I were to get the 4.5 lift would I have to cut the fenders?"

If your going to run 31s or 32s then 4.5 is fine. No cutting needed. 33's are really too tall for Flexing.

"And I could run 30's on a 3" lift with no cutting the fenders?"

Yes, If your going to run 28s - 30s then 3" is fine. No cutting needed. 31's are really too tall for Flexing.

Melissa
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Okay, now I'm starting to see the light

2000XJ
05-09-2009, 11:42 PM
I voted for 4.5", this is my reasoning:

4.5" is a very versatile height. You can easily run 31" tires (and they'll look good), and run all the way up to a 33" tire with trimming. There are an abundance of manufacturers for 4.5" lifts, but my personal favorite (and I'm probably biased) is by Rubicon Express. My Super Flex makes my Jeep work really well offroad, and it handles pretty well onroad.

The great thing about a 4.5" lift, is that if you want to go to really big tires later on, (35's or 36's), a 1" or 2" spacer in the front, and either an extended shackle or new set of leafs in the rear, and you'll be ready for some bigger tires.

Just keep in mind, as some others have mentioned earlier, that really big tires will drive you nuts on stock gearing. 31's will be fine with 3.55's, but 32's or 33's and 3.55's will make you want to park the Jeep and not drive it.

Also, 4.5" with short-arms will ride pretty well, but once you past that boundary drop brackets and/or long-arms will be the only thing that will help you make the ride any better.

I'd go with the 4.5" and be done with the lift. And just upgrade tires accordingly, and as you do that, then you'll probably be ready to regear and upgrade to even larger tires.

Melissa
05-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Wow, not an easy decision for me to make, I was just thinking height and not at all what goes with getting the lift. :headbag:

I'm going to take my time and really think about what is really going to work best for me, thank you everyone for your help. I will keep you posted on what I end up deciding on. I'll probably have more questions later on, so again thank you and I am glad I have so many brains to pick. :D

Funny I used to have a Toyota Pickup and a Suburban, both with lifts, yet I bought them with the lifts already in place so I have never had to think about what goes with a lifted rig, I think my brain is on overload :smiley-scared002:

xjjeepthing
05-10-2009, 07:17 AM
We are here to help, ask away

BlueXJ
05-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Don't fret about it we all had that same decision to make. Some was just limited by finances and others were a learning curve. You may not have as many changes as muddeprived, but you may want to make some changes further down the line. That is perfectly acceptable.

2000XJ
05-10-2009, 07:50 PM
.... And we'll continue to be there because most mods aren't a quick decision anyway. Even steering upgrades, rims, tires, shocks, armor, etc. are all hard decisions. This is your vehicle, and most importantly, your hard-earned money, so you should ask and gather as much information as you please so that you're happiest with your decision.

Voldemort
05-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Any Short Arm Kit over 4.5 may be a little Rough Riding. Over 4.5, it is better to go with a Long Arm Kit. Anything over 6.5, you may have plenty of Front End Steering Problems and other Complications.

"Go as High as you can Afford. Tire Size can follow. Upgrading Tires is easier and cheaper than Upgrading a Lift and it's install costs." as I posted before.

If you plan to run 33s... go 5.5 or 6.5 with NO cutting of the fenders.

If your going to run 31s or 32s then 4.5 is fine.

If your going to run 28s - 30s then 3" is fine.

Here is a 6.5" Kit with a Great price:

XJ Cherokee 6.5" Long Travel Kit
Code: RK-605LT-XJ Price: $1,740.00

KIT INCLUDES:
• Front 6.5" coil springs
• Rear 6.5" leaf springs
• 3" drop pitman arm
• HD trac bar
• Rusty's Frame Brace
• JKS front sway bar disconnects
• Front & rear stainless steel braided brake lines
• Grade 8 U-Bolts
• 6 degree shims

LONG ARM ASSEMBLY:
• HD cross member
• Adjustable long arm
• Adjustable radius arm
• Frame reinforcement (inner & outer)
• Hardware Kit

A SYE kit and a New Rear Drive Shaft will be required with this much lift.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-605LT-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Again, I hope this helps.
Alot of that stuff steering and long arm can be an upgrade as well I got a buddy with a 7" lift and he just got some RC drop brackets and his bro has a 6.5" long arm and as for ride and normal trail wheelin go's the Drop Brackets did just fine and the ride was GREAT! And then I would go with the Rusty's steering conversion $275 & your steering will be pretty tough. Really it is just all about what you are willing to do.

cher96
05-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Alot of that stuff steering and long arm can be an upgrade as well I got a buddy with a 7" lift and he just got some RC drop brackets and his bro has a 6.5" long arm and as for ride and normal trail wheelin go's the Drop Brackets did just fine and the ride was GREAT! And then I would go with the Rusty's steering conversion $275 & your steering will be pretty tough. Really it is just all about what you are willing to do.

I agree with the Steering Conversion. Personally, I want one now. They can make it an over-the-knuckle version as well with shims, weld-on trac-bar bracket and extended sway bar links. Really cool.

I like the Drop Brackets as well. Since I will have both upper and lower adjustable short control arms when I am finished at 5.5"s of lift... I will probably go with Drop Brackets too rather than go with the high cost of converting to long arms. It all depends on how well it drives and articulates at 5.5"s of Lift. I do know that I can achieve greater articulation with Drop Brackets than with Short Control Arms alone.

If I were to go with a 6.5" Lift... I would want to start out with Long Arms when I purchased the kit. Some people have no problems at that height with short control arms but I have ridden in some XJs I will never get in again.

I guess purchasing a 6.5" Short Arm Lift Kit and Drop Brackets and installing them at the same time is a good way to save money. If I was taller in person and since I am financially challenged... I probably may have gone that way.

Great discussion... I love it. :thumbsup:

COSXJFAN
05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I voted that you stay. With a 3" kit, you can fit 31" tires, and with a 4.5" kit you have to trim to fit any bigger than that anyway. When you go bigger than a 31, you have to start thinking about gears, and YADA, YADA, YADA, so just get the 3" kit, and enjoy yourself. A 3" kit and 31" tires on an XJ will get you into plenty of trouble, IMHO!! HTH!!

Mudderoy
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I voted that you stay. With a 3" kit, you can fit 31" tires, and with a 4.5" kit you have to trim to fit any bigger than that anyway. When you go bigger than a 31, you have to start thinking about gears, and YADA, YADA, YADA, so just get the 3" kit, and enjoy yourself. A 3" kit and 31" tires on an XJ will get you into plenty of trouble, IMHO!! HTH!!

My 98 fit 32's with no trimming. Minimal trimming to keep it from rubbing during hard turns. It may be different for your year XJ.

cher96
05-12-2009, 12:57 PM
My 98 fit 32's with no trimming. Minimal trimming to keep it from rubbing during hard turns. It may be different for your year XJ.

I believe with a 4.5" Lift with 32" Tires [you] would have no problem at all for Moderate Trail Blazing.
(I used the [ you] code. LOL)

Jp Magazine writes 32" Tires with a 4" Lift, "Minor Fender Trimming." I think if you took off the Flares that would probably be enough. For a 2" Lift Jp writes, 30" Tires. However, for a 4" lift, 31" Tires.

It really all depends on how your Jeep sits and what Lift Kit you get. Some lift kits like those from Rubicon Express actually lifts you higher than advertised lift height; other kits lower and others right on the mark. It all depends on who you buy from and what lift kit you buy.

My XJ does fine with 32" Tires and 3.55 gears. When I go to 33s I will go with 4.11s and have to buy a new Carrier for the Dana 30.

COSXJFAN
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
The OP stated that the 3" kit was already ordered, so I was just trying to keep it simple, that's all. Seems to me that this poll would've been more helpful before the order, IMHO. Best of luck!!:thumbsup:

cher96
05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
The OP stated that the 3" kit was already ordered, so I was just trying to keep it simple, that's all. Seems to me that this poll would've been more helpful before the order, IMHO. Best of luck!!:thumbsup:

Under normal circumstances your post is fine and I mean no offense. Her 3" Lift is Not a lift kit, I believe, that most XJ owners that trail blaze would install. That's all.

Sorry.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
This is my XJ I have a 4.5"lift w/31" tires no cutting of the fenders needed. just so you can get an idea i know it looks just like yours. Although for the use you plan on for yours I think the 3" is just right. http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/hatchetman0170/Picture068.jpg http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/hatchetman0170/Picture078.jpg

afbond03
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
This is what my current setup is: 2.5in RE Full Length AAL in rear, 2in spacer and V8 ZJ Coils in the front. I think I am ALMOST at 3in. I am trimmed obviously, and running 32s. Now I trimmed because I liked the look and did that when I was still running 30s.
I can't honestly tell you my exact lift height because I never did any before and after measuring. I can tell you the bottom of my rocker to the ground is 21in. This setup has done a few good trails in CO, I have been impressed with what I can do. Here is my advice, go 3in, and go with new full packs. I have had my full length AAL on for over a year and have had no sagging and have had no problems with it. The reason I suggest new leaf packs is because your ride will be so much better with new stuff.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/afbond03/DSCN0883.jpg

Melissa
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
It really all depends on how your Jeep sits and what Lift Kit you get. Some lift kits like those from Rubicon Express actually lifts you higher than advertised lift height; other kits lower and others right on the mark. It all depends on who you buy from and what lift kit you buy.

And that was the reason for my other thread. The 3" lift I orginally ordered stated the after install my jeep would sit 4" higher.

Yes it would have :headbag:

After reading everyones responses to this thread and my other thread I am going to sit on the lift I bought and give it all somemore thought. :)