PDA

View Full Version : Any fellow Smartphone geeks in the house?

toebee97
05-13-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm a huge phone geek. I have 8 Windows Mobile Phones and one Android phone, and I'm getting another WinMo phone this month. I'm pretty sure I've flashed and modded every one of them lol. Here's the list:

T-Mobile SDA(unlocked)
T-Mobile Shadow Copper(unlocked)
T-Mobile Shadow Sage(unlocked)
T-Mobile Wing(unlocked)
T-Mobile G1(unlocked)
TWO Samsung Blackjack 2's
Cingular 8525(unlocked)
At&t Tilt 8900

Coming this month: At&t Tilt 2!!!

So if anyone has any questions pertaining to Windows Mobile or Android, I can probably help.

rguignard
05-13-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm a huge phone geek. I have 8 Windows Mobile Phones and one Android phone, and I'm getting another WinMo phone this month. I'm pretty sure I've flashed and modded every one of them lol. Here's the list:

T-Mobile SDA(unlocked)
T-Mobile Shadow Copper(unlocked)
T-Mobile Shadow Sage(unlocked)
T-Mobile Wing(unlocked)
T-Mobile G1(unlocked)
TWO Samsung Blackjack 2's
Cingular 8525(unlocked)
At&t Tilt 8900

Coming this month: At&t Tilt 2!!!

So if anyone has any questions pertaining to Windows Mobile or Android, I can probably help.

how can we make are andoid phone work on chat :smiley-laughing021: i have a Motorola CLIQ

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
how can we make are andoid phone work on chat :smiley-laughing021: i have a Motorola CLIQ

When Java is available for Android chat will work. I think Moto 2.2 will support it.

toebee97
05-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Actually, you can now. Skyfire Browser supports full flash, java, even Silverlight. Until about a month ago, it was only available for Windows Mobile and Symbian(Nokia), but now there is a version for Android as well.
:link: (http://get.skyfire.com/dl_android.php)

W.O.R.P.Offroad
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
i need a new phone. i have att. what you want to get rid of? i have a moto q buttons stickin and ext spearker is blown

toebee97
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
A Moto Q is an upgrade from anything I have. I bought all of my phones used except my Shadow Copper. Some are pretty beat up and have stuff wrong with them, and some are in decent shape still.

I'll bet yours is fixable though. I've taken apart a few phones and repaired them, it's not too difficult if you can find a disassembly guide somewhere, XDA Developers is a good site for that kinda stuff. But the buttons are probably just dirty under the keypad, if you get the phone apart you can clean it with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol, it might straighten it out. The speaker you would probably have to solder though. You could probably have it fixed for a reasonable price, say less than $50, at a local cell phone repair shop.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
05-14-2010, 07:19 PM
one shop told me 35. i just didnt know if i wanted to fix it or get another.

toebee97
05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
If it was me, I'd rather fix it and know what phone I'm dealing with rather than get roll the dice on a used phone, or shell out the $$$ for a new one. Unless you have a free upgrade or something, then I say go for it.

XJ4IV
05-16-2010, 04:52 PM
I have a Droid google mytouch and I went to buy a bluetooth headset and NOTHING works except to recieve calls or redial, Is there a bluetooth out there that works with voice command? I think I tried everything I even bought TWO blue tooth earpieces thinking I just bought a shabby low end one then got the upgraded one but both only received calls and redialed thats it. Also I was hoping to find one that would allow me to listen to slacker radio or my music via the ear piece

toebee97
05-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I have a Droid google mytouch and I went to buy a bluetooth headset and NOTHING works except to recieve calls or redial, Is there a bluetooth out there that works with voice command? I think I tried everything I even bought TWO blue tooth earpieces thinking I just bought a shabby low end one then got the upgraded one but both only received calls and redialed thats it. Also I was hoping to find one that would allow me to listen to slacker radio or my music via the ear piece
The voice command is a known issue with the Moto Droid and Droid Eris, it's a problem with the Android OS itself on those phones. It will be fixed in future updates, but when that will happen is anybody's guess. I'm sure one of the developers at XDA will fix it before Moto/Google/Verizon does, so keep an eye on your favorite cell phone forum. Also, there are custom ROMs that you can install on your Droid, the best I would have to say is CyanogenMod (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/).

You shouldn't be having problems listening to music on your BT headset though. What headsets have you tried? I've read that Jabra and Motorola headsets work well with them.

XJ4IV
05-19-2010, 11:36 PM
The voice command is a known issue with the Moto Droid and Droid Eris, it's a problem with the Android OS itself on those phones. It will be fixed in future updates, but when that will happen is anybody's guess. I'm sure one of the developers at XDA will fix it before Moto/Google/Verizon does, so keep an eye on your favorite cell phone forum. Also, there are custom ROMs that you can install on your Droid, the best I would have to say is CyanogenMod (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/).

You shouldn't be having problems listening to music on your BT headset though. What headsets have you tried? I've read that Jabra and Motorola headsets work well with them.

I used the motorola 720 I think was the model number
This onehttp://www.bluetoothforless.net/blue/Motorola%20H700%20Chrome%20Bluetooth%20Headset.gif

RTPG
05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I have used Windows Smartphones since they were just Compaq IPaq's with a phone app installed. :rotfl2:

I couldn't get rid of my last Windows mobile fast enough after playing with a Droid!

I paid full price for my Droid and put the Omnia in the closet to collect dust.

I also have a Blackberry 8530i but it's pretty much worthless.

I am on the hunt for a Android tablet PC now... anyone got any insight into those?

toebee97
05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I still have my old Cassiopeia E-100 :smiley-laughing021:

Is your Omnia for sale? Is it GSM or CDMA?

RTPG
05-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I will sell the Omnia. It was on the Verizon network.

toebee97
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Aw bummer it's CDMA, it won't work on At&t.

Ruinator
05-23-2010, 01:01 PM
You guys a fan of BitPim? I thinks its some of the greatest freeware out there!

toebee97
05-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Never heard of it. But after going to their site I know why. It's for CDMA phones. All my phones are GSM. I use PIM Backup. I think it works on CDMA phones too, but don't quote me on that.

Ruinator
05-24-2010, 09:00 AM
good info, thanks

RTPG
05-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Aw bummer it's CDMA, it won't work on At&t.

Funny you should say that... it didn't work so good on the Verizon network either. :smiley-laughing021:

It's a killer pocketPC but a horrible cell phone. :eek:

My Droid is only a little better on the cell phone side of things. I use my Blackberry on Nextel for voice/cell phone and the Droid for the PC/Internet stuff.

The BB on Nextel kicks butt IF (big if) there is Nextel service in the area. It has been sucking lately with all my trips to Montana and such. :mad:

RTPG
05-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Interesting:

"Wal-Mart slashes iPhone price to $97"

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/24/technology/Walmart_iPhone_price_cut/index.htm?hpt=T2

XJ4IV
05-30-2010, 10:49 AM
texj here- Im going to be getting the new iphone soon, Im on AT&T and dont really want to switch. So the Iphone it is, I think the HTC evo would be another alternative, But Im sure it wont have GSM capability...i think.

toebee97
05-31-2010, 08:50 AM
texj here- Im going to be getting the new iphone soon, Im on AT&T and dont really want to switch. So the Iphone it is, I think the HTC evo would be another alternative, But Im sure it wont have GSM capability...i think.
The EVO 4G is a Sprint exclusive phone, so it is only for their network, but could conceivably work on Verizon and Cricket as well if it were unlocked. Bummer too, I'd totally get it if At&t had it.

Ruinator
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

:thumbsup:

(not a PG site, but this dude is angry......and pretty damn funny)

reddragon72
06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I have the Google Nexus One on T-mobile and the wife has the Samsung Behold2.

I am currently running the pre Froyo release (Android 2.2) on it and Flash installed and it works great everywhere, but I don't have enough posts yet to try out the chat here so no comment on that.

I was a die hard WinMo freak, I had my first Ipaq in 2000 and kept moving up from there, then went Nokia for a bit then 3 years ago picked up the T-mobile Shadow then won an ATT Tilt that I flashed so I could use it on T-mobiles network. I made fun of the Android kiddies out there when it first came out, but once I got my wifes and messed with it I had to get one, and now I have the Nexus One and love it. Android really is taking off.

toebee97
06-09-2010, 05:00 AM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

:thumbsup:

(not a PG site, but this dude is angry......and pretty damn funny)
Ha, I haven't seen that page in forever... I remember blogging it on myspace a few years ago. I totally agree with him, F apple.

toebee97
06-09-2010, 05:05 AM
I was a die hard WinMo freak, I had my first Ipaq in 2000 and kept moving up from there, then went Nokia for a bit then 3 years ago picked up the T-mobile Shadow then won an ATT Tilt that I flashed so I could use it on T-mobiles network. I made fun of the Android kiddies out there when it first came out, but once I got my wifes and messed with it I had to get one, and now I have the Nexus One and love it. Android really is taking off.
Dude, I thought I recognized your screen name from somewhere. You used to be on AllShadow back in the day. Man has that site gone downhill. I still mod over there, but all I do is ban spammers, there's almost no real site traffic anymore. Even the admins have pretty much abandoned it. So are you on xda in the nexus forums these days?

reddragon72
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Dude, I thought I recognized your screen name from somewhere. You used to be on AllShadow back in the day. Man has that site gone downhill. I still mod over there, but all I do is ban spammers, there's almost no real site traffic anymore. Even the admins have pretty much abandoned it. So are you on xda in the nexus forums these days?

I am the same, but haven't been on that site in years. You have to remember that once the tech gets old and outdated people move on, but my Shadow is still in service, my sons friend has it and loves it :-) so it's still getting tons of use.

I'm on XDA, though not posting much at all, and on a ton of Android sites. I'm a staff contributor on droidgamers though, doing reviews on games. don't post to many forums though, so my counts are always low, but thetwo I frequent most are android forums and droidgamers.

toebee97
06-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I am the same, but haven't been on that site in years. You have to remember that once the tech gets old and outdated people move on, but my Shadow is still in service, my sons friend has it and loves it :-) so it's still getting tons of use.

I'm on XDA, though not posting much at all, and on a ton of Android sites. I'm a staff contributor on droidgamers though, doing reviews on games. don't post to many forums though, so my counts are always low, but thetwo I frequent most are android forums and droidgamers.
Yeah, they tried to add new forums for the TP2 and Dash3G, even Blackberry, but things just got worse.

I think I registered on Android Forums, but I haven't been real active there. I had Eclair on my TyTN II for a while, but it's just too buggy still, there isn't a fully operational port yet for any windows phone.

LostSoul
06-12-2010, 12:46 AM
I Just traded my iphone for a Motorola back-flip 2 weeks ago and have to say im never going back. The back flip is a lower end android but I feel that is a better phone than the iphone. I cant wait for at&t to bring out better android phones. I find it funny how people fall for apples crap. every year they bring out a phone that is still behind the times. I will say that iphone 4 is almost up to date, but still no flash player on it? I like the android market better most of the apps I had on the iphone are free in the android market. I tell everybody "History repeats its self" Look at the apple vs pc. Apple was to controlling, so people set out to make the pc and open source. I see the iphone vs android phones being the new apple vs pc.

I read some one wanted a android tablet they are not out yet but youtube it there are a lot coming out.

toebee97
06-23-2010, 05:28 AM
I Just traded my iphone for a Motorola back-flip 2 weeks ago and have to say im never going back. The back flip is a lower end android but I feel that is a better phone than the iphone. I cant wait for at&t to bring out better android phones. I find it funny how people fall for apples crap. every year they bring out a phone that is still behind the times. I will say that iphone 4 is almost up to date, but still no flash player on it? I like the android market better most of the apps I had on the iphone are free in the android market. I tell everybody "History repeats its self" Look at the apple vs pc. Apple was to controlling, so people set out to make the pc and open source. I see the iphone vs android phones being the new apple vs pc.
The only thing that kept me away from the Backflip was the fact that At&t TOOK OUT the option BUILT INTO Android to install apps from outside sources, as well as replacing all the search engines with Yahoo on an OS made by GOOGLE. What the hell. That's a straight up Apple move. http://jkontherun.com/2010/03/10/when-open-platforms-get-closed-att-cripples-backflip/

But if you think the Backflip is nice, check out this badboy. THIS is my next phone. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung-captivate.jsp

On another note, I finally ditched Windows Mobile forever. I got a G1 from a buddy of mine for $40 and got it unlocked. Then I installed CyanogenMod 5.0.7, a custom version of Android 2.1. Now I have inappropriate thoughts about my phone.:smiley-laughing021: Never going back to Micro$oft. I only get 2G on it, but the browser and apps are twice as fast as my 3g Tilt was. In the last 5 years, Microsoft only released a few updates, and never really made any significant changes. And really, the same goes for the iPhone. But in just 2 years, Google has gone from 1.0 to 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, and now 2.2 is on the horizon, with many changes from build to build. THAT's progress. THAT's giving the user what they ask for. Google wins over M$ and Apple combined.