PDA

View Full Version : On Board Air

4.3LXJ
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM
i would like to know how to make the air compressor with the ac compressor.

I had a request on how to make an AC compressor into an air compressor.

Most of us have a Sanden compressor in our Jeeps. This is a very popular and proven compressor that has 5 horizontal pistons driven by wobbling crank shaft with a clutch on it. At idle, it will fill a tire in about a minute or less. At about 2,000 rpms it will cycle while filling a tire and run any air tool you can name. They are rated at 12CFM @100 psi and will pump 400 psi without a problem. But they have one weakness, lubrication. They are designed to have refrigerant mixed with oil pumping through them. There are two things you can do. One is to run an air tool oiler on the intake side. The other is do what a friend of mine has done for the last 10 years on his trail XJ, pour a little vegetable oil in the intake before use. I have a third option that is uncommon, I run oil in the crank case and recover it and return it to the crank case.

I don't have pics of building the bracket that holds my OBA. I did it before logging on to forums so I didn't think it important at the time. But here is the general things you need to do.

You start with a compressor of course.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0075.jpg

The one on the left is the OBA compressor. At the back of the compressor is the intake/output manifold. On the right side is the intake, the larger of the two tubes. This needs to have a clean source. I use a power brake hose off the air horn of my intake so it gets filtered air. Most people with a 4.0 will use a small lawn mower filter available at NAPA or other real auto parts stores. Next is the output side on the left. I used the ends of AC hoses for both. But this is the pressure side and needs good hose. I have a quick disconnect fitting on this so I can remove it to remove my air intake assembly in a couple of minutes. To make this set up, I just silver soldered the fitting on to the tube. Make sure you start with a steel hose end for this and use the AC O rings to seal everything tight. I used silver solder because it will stick to steel and also brass alloys like the quick disconnect is made of. If you have never used it before, It is half way between brazing and gas welding. You heat everything up red hot and apply after cleaning. It is used extensively in the AC industry. The quick disconnect fitting on the right is for my oil return and I will address that later.

The next thing needed is controls for the compressor.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0074.jpg

The quick disconnect on the left is the pressure intake for this assembly. I got most of this stuff from Kilby Enterprises. The first thing behind the disconnect is a check valve. This keeps the pressurized air from going back through the compressor and in my case forcing crank case oil out of it. It is a necessary item if you are going to use oil in the case and also if you are going to use the system for more than filling tires, such as for air lockers. The next item after the elbow is an oil separator. This is recommended so you do not get oil in things like tires or mix oil in your differentials.

The next item to the right is the manifold that has two necessary items. First is the pop off valve. This is important because it needs to vent excess pressure. The compressor will pump 400 psi and not blink. That will blow some things like hoses and tires. The other is the pressure switch, which turns the compressor on and off by engaging an disengaging the clutch. Mine is set for 140 psi. The next item is not necessary unless you have air lockers, pressure regulator. Air lockers are supposed to run at 100 psi, less than the 140 psi the system will be operating at. The last is the ARB solenoid valves. Can you guess what is in my future?

The last item is not pictured and is in the back of the rig. A 2 gal air tank. This is a necessary item so that your compressor does not short cycle every second and can be mounted anywhere, or can be even a tube bumper that is sealed.

BlueXJ
05-05-2010, 02:19 PM
excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRW7072009
05-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Nice, good write up.

mw14c
01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Man now that's cool! Gonna have to try it.

4.3LXJ
01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Man now that's cool! Gonna have to try it.

Let me know if you have questions

HPI_Savage25
01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I would love to do this also! Say I already have a compressor from another jeep so minus the compressor cost and what would a rough estimate be for everything?

denverd1
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
super cool!! is it belt driven? It may be me, but I don't see a belt on the OBA comp...

4.3LXJ
01-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I would love to do this also! Say I already have a compressor from another jeep so minus the compressor cost and what would a rough estimate be for everything?

Are you going to do the oil return, if so manual or electric? Will fab your own brackets? Can you weld aluminum/

super cool!! is it belt driven? It may be me, but I don't see a belt on the OBA comp...

Yes it is belt driven. The view from the top

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0075.jpg

HPI_Savage25
01-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I can get my brackets and all fabbed up and welded at my old high school at the metal shop. I would like to do the oil return.

4.3LXJ
01-27-2012, 12:03 AM
I will have to check again, but roughly I had about $200 in it besides a new compressor I got for $220

HPI_Savage25
01-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Hmmm not too bad. I have a compressor on the parts XJ I can use for this. Then just have to fab up a bracket I guess for it.

bluedragon436
01-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Hmmm.. will have to look into the compressor.. I don't use my A/C anyways.. so won't have to worry about making a custom dual bracket.. will just have to get the proper bracket for the compressor needed.. Hey Stever, I notice you talked about the Sanden compressors... I have a Sanden A/C compressor in my 98, but it doesn't look the same as yours.. can I still make use of this model for the OBA setup??

4.3LXJ
01-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Yes, you can use any AC compressor. All the automotive ones have 5 or 6 small cylinders instead of a large one,except the york.

bluedragon436
01-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Very nice.. Wasn't sure if there was some you couldn't use.. I know as soon as I kill my compressor and set it up for OBA, I'll get orders to some place like NM that I will regret not having the AC working... LOL.. I'm def. going to look into OBA.. maybe for now I'll just run a 12v compressor...

4.3LXJ
01-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Very nice.. Wasn't sure if there was some you couldn't use.. I know as soon as I kill my compressor and set it up for OBA, I'll get orders to some place like NM that I will regret not having the AC working... LOL.. I'm def. going to look into OBA.. maybe for now I'll just run a 12v compressor...

No problem James. Just tell them you like hot weather and they will send you to Alaska.:out:

bluedragon436
01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah well in that case, I'm going to tell them I love the snow and freezing temps... so they'll send me to NM, AZ, CA or even TX!! LOL

mw14c
02-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I apologize if I missed it but I don't see an air tank. Wouldn't it be best to have some air stored all of time? Shouldn't be to big of a deal to hide one somewhere. Just a thought.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I apologize if I missed it but I don't see an air tank. Wouldn't it be best to have some air stored all of time? Shouldn't be to big of a deal to hide one somewhere. Just a thought.

You didn't miss it, I forgot to post it. :indifferent0020:

Here it is in the back with the batteries.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0981.jpg

Viair 2 gallon tank.

HPI_Savage25
02-03-2012, 01:41 AM
That was my next question was going to be where your battery was because with a battery under the hood no way possible to add another conpressor

4.3LXJ
02-03-2012, 01:45 AM
I have dual batteries in the back

tobyw
03-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Any chance you have info on belt routing and/or belt part number to make this work?

4.3LXJ
03-17-2012, 02:58 PM
There is a small idler pulley below the compressors. The belt runs normally to the first compressor, then to the idler then to the second compressor and the rest is normal routing. Length can be estimated by doing a little high school math. Actual length was determined by taking the original belt and cutting it and attaching another piece of belt to it and running it. It turned out to be 120" on mine. But the 4.0 will be shorter if you do this

tobyw
03-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the response!

After I posted, I did some more browsing on the forums here and soon realized the connection between your username and your rig setup... Anyhow, in looking at the 4.0L, it looks like it might be a little tougher to make this work but I'm certainly intrigued and might give it a shot one of these weekends.

89Laredo
03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
You didnt explain the oiling... Thats what Im interested in.

4.3LXJ
03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I use Valvoline 20W50 RAcing oil in the crank case of the compressor. This is the same oil I use in the engine. It is a very high temp paraffin based oil. Any oil that gets pumped out of the compressor is trapped by the filter on the air manifold. But there is very little that does because I have the crank case vented so it will not build up pressure in it forcing oil out past the rings. What little there is, is returned by way of the other hose to the crank case with the touch of a switch. The ARB solenoids are vented one way. That is why there is one on top of the compressor. It vents, but shuts down the vent when activated and the oil is returned under pressure.

89Laredo
03-25-2012, 09:48 PM
I found your other (complete) writeup. I plan on OBA soon, but wont be as elaborate as yours.
Plan on using an old propane tank for the air.

4.3LXJ
03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
That will work. The tank is rated for more pressure than air systems.

4.3LXJ
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Lately I have changed out the idler pulley. The old one made a whining sound. So I used an idler off a Subaru timing belt. It is a high quality all steel idler and nice and wide, so alignment is not an issue.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1562.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1567.jpg

Also you can see how the belt is routed in this pic

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1568.jpg

Everything under the hood is turning red from being in this red mud around here. But we make no apologies for a little mud. :D

Carves
05-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Any chance of some extra pics of the oiling setup ???

4.3LXJ
05-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Nothing yet. And I have used it hard. Done at least a hundred tires now and used the impact too.

4.3LXJ
05-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Here is a vid of the system in action

http://youtu.be/q39yoOjlU4c

bigjim350
05-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Cool vid. How did you wire up the high idle?

4.3LXJ
05-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Cool vid. How did you wire up the high idle?

Here is the wiring diagram

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Compre3ssorWiringDiagr007.jpg

XJ4IV
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
you can also make a high idle by using a cable shifter from an old mountain bike and just drill out a new hole on your throttle bracket and route it inside your jeep and mount it down on your center console, my buddy did his mounted to his stick shift it helps him with wheeling at low speeds he just works the clutch like we do a brake!

bad luck
08-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Very nice setup. I think it is so much better than a 12v system. Thanks for sharing the information.

WisdomWarlord
03-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I love what you have done with this Steve! How durable is this setup in the long term? I have a Ford diesel truck. Being a diesel, it has an engine driven vacuum pump for the brakes. I'm also using the vacuum to pull oil from vehicle crankcases when i do oil changes. I'm considering swapping the vacuum pump for an OBA setup and using it to provide both vacuum and pressurized air. The factory vacuum pump has 300,000 miles and 20 years in service. I know that no one can guarentee the service life but would it be ridiculous to think the life of an OBA setup like this could match that?

I would have a 30 gallon air tank and a 25 vacuum accumulator in the system and there would be vacuum and pressure switches to turn the clutch off when the tanks are at capacity.

Thanks
Keith HP

4.3LXJ
03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I have been using mine now for four years with no issues except I lost my vacuum valve the other day for the high idle. But the pump itself just keeps chugging away and fills tires and now that I lost my shop compressor it runs the shop impact when I need it now too.

drumnerd33
09-06-2013, 10:32 AM
How are you doing the high idle? I have a 92 and my ecm doesnt have the high idle pin, you mentioned a vacuum solenoid for high idle?

drumnerd33
09-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Are you using the iac? Because that was my first thought but then found an article using the cruise control but have to have a power switch, and then momentary switch and set the idle every time, would be alot easier to hit one switch and go into high idle.

4.3LXJ
09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Yes, I use a vacuum switch and the high idle vacuum motor off a carburetor. Originally I used that stuff from my original carburetor and high idle switch from the power steering line. The switch eventually failed, so I am currently using an ARB air switch as a vacuum switch. It works great and is rebuildable, which is nice. What ever switch you use, it has to be closed to vacuum when not in use and still allow vacuum to be equalized when not in use so the idle will come back down. The ARB switch works perfectly for that.

drumnerd33
09-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Ok cool i also found a cheaper alternative to the arb switches... mac makes an air switch almost identical to the arb switch but at almost half the cost and has npt threads instead of bpt. I bought one to do the purge setup like you had but i was wondering if i tore down the sanden and used the grub screw to plug the hole that allows oil to get into the air could i just run a vent setup and have less oil to catch? then just readd it every now and then.

4.3LXJ
09-06-2013, 10:51 AM
What allows the oil into the air is allowing the crankcase to be pressurized. That will eventually push the oil past the rings, which are not oil rings, but just compression rings. I run a little less oil now and don't recover much at all.

drumnerd33
09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Ok i see, im using the sanden 709 which apparently has nylon rings also... so ill still do the purge setup cuz that is pretty cool, now one more question, how much oil are you running in it? my 709 has the filler hole in the side of the compressor so i was thinking about finding a 90% fitting up to the mac valve for purge/venting so could i use that to fill till i see oil in the fitting then i know im at about half full? Other option is drilling and tapping in the top but if i dont need to do that then i wont

4.3LXJ
09-06-2013, 11:34 AM
You don't need to fill it that much. That hole was designed to put the oil in so the system has about the right amount leak out for the AC to have an oil mist in the refrigerant. All you need is enough to splash around. A 1/4 full is fine

drumnerd33
09-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Ok

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

K5ADT
12-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Really cool, thanks for the info. I'll be converting my A/C over to OBA now.

:bacondance:

CumminsRescue24
12-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Ok cool i also found a cheaper alternative to the arb switches... mac makes an air switch almost identical to the arb switch but at almost half the cost and has npt threads instead of bpt. I bought one to do the purge setup like you had but i was wondering if i tore down the sanden and used the grub screw to plug the hole that allows oil to get into the air could i just run a vent setup and have less oil to catch? then just readd it every now and then.
Do you remember what the part/model number of those Mac valves are, i really dont want to have to spend $60 per ARB valve. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.