PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the gas tank

4.3LXJ
04-28-2010, 12:37 PM
My son is coming this weekend and we are going to work on HUM WEE senior and junior. My granddaughter wants to drive junior. We need to clean the gas tanks on both. Senior has not had fresh gas in it for about 30 years and junior for about 2 years, maybe more. Anybody got any great ideas about how to get varnish out of the tank?

Mudderoy
04-28-2010, 04:42 PM
My son is coming this weekend and we are going to work on HUM WEE senior and junior. My granddaughter wants to drive junior. We need to clean the gas tanks on both. Senior has not had fresh gas in it for about 30 years and junior for about 2 years, maybe more. Anybody got any great ideas about how to get varnish out of the tank?

I'm looking forward to learning more about this. :popcorn:

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-28-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't think it will clean out real good in only one treatment. If your are considering using a fuel system cleaner such as Gummout. I can promise you your fuel filter is going too stop up and fail....:driving:

4.3LXJ
04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
We haven't really considered anything yet. We were thinking of the shake treatment with a couple of pounds of nails

finneys98xj
05-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I have helped people Take boiling water pour in the tank let it sit for a min. then drain, then take a gal. of paint thinner pour in the tank. shake it REALLY good and that got quite a bit of bit of trash and vanish out of the tank. you may repeat a time or two for more cleaning.

Rysam
05-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Someone told me to go to a radiator shop when i was looking for ideas on my 50' Ford.

LizardRunner
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Finney has a good way there, Boiling water will remove most all the old gas. Paint thinner is good for slowly removing varnish but you might try xylene too. Some tanks take two shots to get them cleaned out well. Then I would use a pourable tank liner/sealer like Eastwood sells.

cherokeejim47
12-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Remove the tank and take it to a Radiator Shop have it steam cleaned really good.
That works really well and the cost usually 25.00 [n wv] is a good buy. Johnny's in Clarksburg done one for me a few years back.

saar
01-07-2012, 11:03 AM
If it was full (with fuel) why not just changing the fuel?

uberxj92
01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
hehehehehe new fuel tank for a 90 xj with pump $100.
probably close to that for alot of others too LOL .
sorry had to suggest it