PDA

View Full Version : front end shakes while applying brakes.

ralphy
04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
hey folks maybe you can "steer" me in the right directlon:) when i apply my brakes at hiway speeds the steering wheel shakes and the brake pedal pulses some. the steering is tight and the brake pads are still good and i can't spend money on changing part after part till i solve the issue. thanks for any help and advice all of you can provide. :thumbsup: if i have to take it to a shop i do have a local guy i trust. thanks again. ralphy.:D

alwaysxj
04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
it sound like your rotor are warped. i would get them turned or replace them.

oh and welcome to xjtalk

4.3LXJ
04-27-2010, 11:21 PM
:thumbsup: X2

rguignard
04-28-2010, 06:14 AM
x3:thumbsup:

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-28-2010, 07:34 AM
x4:thumbsup:

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-28-2010, 08:28 AM
X5.:thumbsup: Yea sometime's over a time span the rotor's will warp from element's. Rain driving, and heat...

4.3LXJ
04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Also, they can wear unevenly from use. They are just cast iron and will have uniformity issues.

alwaysxj
04-28-2010, 11:50 AM
i win. let's play guess my problem again :D

ralphy
04-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll see about getting the rotors turned. I had the same problem on a Ford Ranger.:rolleyes: I put 150 miles a day on it due to work so the brakes do get alot of abuse. my next issue is a check engine light, but that can wait till I get this fixed.:) thanks again. Ralphy.:)

Mudderoy
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll see about getting the rotors turned. I had the same problem on a Ford Ranger.:rolleyes: I put 150 miles a day on it due to work so the brakes do get alot of abuse. my next issue is a check engine light, but that can wait till I get this fixed.:) thanks again. Ralphy.:)

First step with the "Check Engine" light is to read the code. Auto Parts places are your friends. Go there borrow the OBD scanner and read the code(s).

alwaysxj
04-29-2010, 09:03 AM
First step with the "Check Engine" light is to read the code. Auto Parts places are your friends. Go there borrow the OBD scanner and read the code(s).

x2 some times it is stupid like when you last got gas you did not tighten the cap back on tight enough so the check engine light came on i would go and have it tested.

oh and maybe check the gas cap.:thumbsup:

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
X3:thumbsup: Get somebody to read your code's.

cpttuna
05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I had the same type of problem, maybe not as bad as you have. mechanic could not find anything,so they turned the rotors and the problem went away.

ralphy
05-08-2010, 10:02 PM
thanks for all the great info, i called my front end guy and as soon as he heard the word JEEP he said "Death Wobble", also that a vid. on "You Tube" explains about it and that the steering stabilizer needs replaced by a heavy duty one, anyone heard of something like that? Oh, i have a code scanner and P1491 was the code" radiator fan control relay circuit" i checked and i have no power to the rad fan, the a/c compressor/ or the relay. so the search continues. again, thanks for the help.

alwaysxj
05-09-2010, 12:00 AM
on the death wobble i have never seen a death wobble that only happened when you hit the breaks. death wobble will happen in a couple of different ways one yes could be a steering stabilizer but not always the problem. you can get it from a worn bushing on the front end and also if something is loose in the front end, and if you alignment is off or your tires are not properly balanced. from what you are saying i would say it is the bad rotors.
on the fan problem try changing the relay in to engine bay on the fuse block i had this problem on my 92 changed it out and fixed my problem.

4.3LXJ
05-09-2010, 12:08 AM
thanks for all the great info, i called my front end guy and as soon as he heard the word JEEP he said "Death Wobble", also that a vid. on "You Tube" explains about it and that the steering stabilizer needs replaced by a heavy duty one, anyone heard of something like that? Oh, i have a code scanner and P1491 was the code" radiator fan control relay circuit" i checked and i have no power to the rad fan, the a/c compressor/ or the relay. so the search continues. again, thanks for the help.

I wouldn't jump to the death wobble conclusion just yet. First, the front end guy did not examine it. Second, if you let off the brake and it goes away then it is not death wobble, just a warped or unevenly worn rotor.

96xj
05-09-2010, 02:03 PM
what dose every one mean by TURN the rotors,

4.3LXJ
05-09-2010, 03:19 PM
what dose every one mean by TURN the rotors,

It is a machinist term. You put them in a special lathe and "turn" them against a tool that takes metal off. It trues them and takes out all the grooves.

ralphy
05-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Ok, I'm getting the rotors turned next weekend and the tires rotated & balanced, hopefully that will fix that. and I found a relay in the glove box when I bought the XJ, I swapped it out and had no change to the problem, I'm wondering if the control switch in the dash might have a short?

96xj
05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
It is a machinist term. You put them in a special lathe and "turn" them against a tool that takes metal off. It trues them and takes out all the grooves.

that's what i thought , i never herd the term

troys96xj
05-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Have your rotors turned or replace them.