PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum diamond plate

Mudderoy
05-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Where is a good place to buy a small piece of aluminum diamond plate? I want the polished stuff. I am going to relocate my license plate (already have the LED for it) on the rear of my XJ.

I saw a piece at Lowe's that was 24" x 24" for like $30!!!! I may be screwed in finding some cheaper, but I thought I'd check with you guys first.

Howler_GT
05-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Im surprised you didn't ask ME...:smiley-laughing021:

Sent you some info via PM

Mudderoy
05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I did ask you, and you answered.

I was hoping to find something local. Thought someone might know of a national store, or a type of business that would carry them. I don't go out buying hunks of metal very much.

I've looked at that guy on ebay before. I need to measure the license plate and see if the 12"x12" will work. $6 for the material, and $7.50 for the shippnig. :smiley-laughing021:

BlueXJ
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I buy my steel at a local yard and he carries aluminum diamond plate although I have never priced it. (I don't weld aluminum) but you may try the local welding steel supply. Mine is called International and there is also a Victoria Iron and Metal shop but it is not quite as close to me so I rarely go there.

Mudderoy
05-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Great that gives me some names to search on. Metal and Steel make sence now. :D

DETOURS
05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
You can order steel online now a days and have it delivered to your doorstep,

www.onlinemetals.com

Mudderoy
05-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys I ordered a 10" x 48" .063 (I think) for $12.

Melissa
05-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Where are you relocating you license plate to?

Mudderoy
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure yet. I have to look at the 12 volt line run.

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Now that I have the license plate thing on order I'd like to see what it would cost me in materials to put the diamond plate at the bottom of my doors and the rocker panel.

What thickness should I be looking at for good protection? Also since I want to paint it black, what would be a good way (other than sand blasting) to make it take and hold the paint.

I'm assuming that I'll be getting aluminum diamond plate.

As far as bending it to fit. I think the bottom of the doors will be pretty simple, but the rocker panels will be almost a 90 degree bend. Measure, cut, attach the top and then a wood block and a hammer?

Spanky; Could this interfere with the XJ-1 rock sliders that you make? I don't think so looking at the picture. Hey if I want to do long arms later would I have to cut through the welds on the XJ-1 so I could remove it, install the long arm brackets, and then re-install the XJ-1?

Melissa
05-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Oooh, I'd like to know this too :popcorn:

xjarcher
05-09-2009, 06:29 PM
If you want diamondplate on your doors etc. There is a company in Colo. that makes them. Good quality and reasonable. Name is _______ metal fab or something like that. Preformed and they'll countersink holes and everything. I think they even come in black. Jeepdiamondplate.com may make them for you

Mudderoy
05-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks I'll check. The only other one that I have seen aren't the right size. I have the side molding and bushwackers. So this makes them shorter vertically and horizontally.

xjarcher
05-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Talk to this guy
http://www.totalfab.net/

He's been doing these for several years under the performance metalworks name but has changed it. I know lots of people on naxja asked him for dplate. give him a bump and see what you get.

kryptonitexj
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Mudd Try this link. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior-products/sideplates-rear-corners-cherokee-xj.htm

You can get it in aluminum diamond plate, Black diamond Plate, Or just bare black steel. Both for 2 dr. and 4 dr.:thumbsup: Let me know what you think.

Mudderoy
05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Mudd Try this link. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/warrior-products/sideplates-rear-corners-cherokee-xj.htm

You can get it in aluminum diamond plate, Black diamond Plate, Or just bare black steel. Both for 2 dr. and 4 dr.:thumbsup: Let me know what you think.

Thanks, but this won't fit my XJ. I have a detours bumper that wraps around to the bushwackers, plus the bushwackers take up much more room that stock flares. Then there is the body side molding which covers vertically.

Basically I'd spend $160 for something that would have multiple cuts and two large pieces thrown away. If I'm going to do all that cutting I might as well order the stuff and cut it myself. Ya know?

Voldemort
05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
:nothingtoadd:

Mudderoy
05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
lol... diamond plate should be in today...

Correction, it's here!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/diamondplatedelivery.jpg

Voldemort
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
lol... diamond plate should be in today...

Correction, it's here!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/diamondplatedelivery.jpg

Very nice which setup do you have for your camera's & how many I'm looking in to them fro my Uncles new Paint & Body shop which I hope will be open next month so I can get my Red XJ painted.

Mudderoy
05-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Very nice which setup do you have for your camera's & how many I'm looking in to them fro my Uncles new Paint & Body shop which I hope will be open next month so I can get my Red XJ painted.

I use a Linux server running Zoneminder and a 4 port 120 fps video capture card from bluecherry. Zoneminder has a link to them.

For the cameras, I went to Gadspot.com. They don't carry the one's I have any longer, but they have some that are $2 more and have better resolution, lol.

They also carry the digital video recorders, which is prob what you'd want for a business type of installation. The cameras work at 0 lux with the aid of their built in IR LEDS. I've been very impressed with the camera.

Oh, I have four cameras. 2 front yard street and driveway, 1 front door. 1 Back door and 1/2 of back yard.

Voldemort
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I use a Linux server running Zoneminder and a 4 port 120 fps video capture card from bluecherry. Zoneminder has a link to them.

For the cameras, I went to Gadspot.com. They don't carry the one's I have any longer, but they have some that are $2 more and have better resolution, lol.

They also carry the digital video recorders, which is prob what you'd want for a business type of installation. The cameras work at 0 lux with the aid of their built in IR LEDS. I've been very impressed with the camera.

Oh, I have four cameras. 2 front yard street and driveway, 1 front door. 1 Back door and 1/2 of back yard.

Thanks I'll check them out and I'll be bugging you again if I need help thanks

Mudderoy
05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
No problem....

Ok got home, looked at the diamond plate, beautiful! Had to go to Lowes for something so I double checked the price of the 12x24 diamond plate, it was $28, so $23 for 10x48 (shipped) was a pretty good deal!

Melissa
05-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Figured out where you are going to put it yet?
Do we get to see the results?

Sorry I really am a picture junkie

Mudderoy
05-13-2009, 09:02 PM
I dug around a little bit today and even though I don't like the idea of running 12 volt power throught he tire carrier swing out arm I think in the middle of the spare tire will work out best.

Too low on the bumper and I'm liable to scrap it off going up something steep.

I have enough diamond plate to make two. One for the back and the front.

I have the LED for the rear one, I just need to measure cut drill and fit. I need to come up with an easy way to mount it inside the spare wheel.

Howler_GT
05-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Bolt some simple angle clips [ ] using the open lug holes.

Bolt the plate to the clips solidly then just bolt them thru the holes

Mudderoy
05-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Ok it is a really simple idea, but I like it. I have more work to do. I have to build a mount to attach it to the spare, but make it easy to remove when a flat needs to be changed. I also have to run power to the LED on the license plate, but I think I have a winner here, at least for me.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/Jeeplicenseplateholder.jpg

xjjeepthing
05-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Not bad for a Texas boy LOL

Mudderoy
05-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh I'm going to see if I can find some black rubber trim to put around it a$$well.

Mudderoy
05-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Ok I got a quote for ...

1 58"x9" and 1 53"x6" .125 thick aluminum diamond plate.

$100 cut and shipped.

I'm thinking this is a pretty good price? This is enough diamond plate to put on the bottom of the doors and rocker panels.

xjjeepthing
05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.warriorproducts.com/catalog/TBL_sideplates.html
http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=1635

Mudderoy
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but they don't fit a XJ with bushwackers, and side molding. Whats the point in spending $200 for something I have to cut?

xjjeepthing
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Not sure, But take the moldings off and trim slightly. Or do it your way LOL

Mudderoy
05-27-2009, 09:51 AM
But I like the molding. Ok ok, I'll take option 2.

Devil Doc
02-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Well this thread is really old, but I was hoping that you might have pictures of the finished product?! I've been wanting to add steel body side molding to my 90 XJ but I also want to add bushwhackers as well, so I have been putting off both till I can find a product or a DIY write-up.

Mudderoy
02-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Well this thread is really old, but I was hoping that you might have pictures of the finished product?! I've been wanting to add steel body side molding to my 90 XJ but I also want to add bushwhackers as well, so I have been putting off both till I can find a product or a DIY write-up.

Nope not yet. I been doing so many other things. I have everything I need, well with the exception of how I'm going to attach the diamond plate. I just have to make time and get out there to pull out the bent rocker. Once that is done the rest of it should go pretty fast.

I'll be updating the thread as soon as I get something done with it though.