PDA

View Full Version : Lubrucants - Do they have a shelf life?

UKJeepThang
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Just getting some opinions really on whether lubricants have a shelf life.

I replaced my diff lube today with some unopened lubricant that I bought 4 years ago. I'm now wondering whether the lubricant has "expired". It can't last forever but it must have a shelf life before it "goes off"

And what about lubricant that remains in a can that has been opened. I've got some engine oil in a container that was opened a couple of years ago.

Thoughts??

cantab27
04-24-2010, 02:17 PM
good question uk, all i know is don't leave ya grease gun by the window in sun light lol.....be interesting to hear answers...

XJ Rat
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Just getting some opinions really on whether lubricants have a shelf life.

I replaced my diff lube today with some unopened lubricant that I bought 4 years ago. I'm now wondering whether the lubricant has "expired". It can't last forever but it must have a shelf life before it "goes off"

And what about lubricant that remains in a can that has been opened. I've got some engine oil in a container that was opened a couple of years ago.

Thoughts??

Product Maximum Recommended Storage Time
Lithium Greases 12 months
Calcium Complex Greases 6 months
Lubricating Oils 12 months
Emulsion Type
Fire-Resistant Fluids 6 months
Soluble Oils 6 months
Custom Blended Soluble Oils 3 months
Wax Emulsions 6 months

Link: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

Email the grease manufacturer and see what they say. I believe the two main killers of new lubricants are heat and air.

UKJeepThang
04-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Product Maximum Recommended Storage Time
Lithium Greases 12 months
Calcium Complex Greases 6 months
Lubricating Oils 12 months
Emulsion Type
Fire-Resistant Fluids 6 months
Soluble Oils 6 months
Custom Blended Soluble Oils 3 months
Wax Emulsions 6 months

Link: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

Email the grease manufacturer and see what they say. I believe the two main killers of new lubricants are heat and air.

Thanks, that's a very useful guide. I don't know about the US but here in the UK the containers don't have a "use by......" or "best before........" date on the containers. If you buy a container of Diff Lube, I don't know how long it's been sitting on the shelf at the auto shop and therefore can't see how long into the 12 months storage time it has had before I buy it. :confused: