PDA

View Full Version : Speed bleeders

ParadiseXJ
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Anybody know what and how a speed bleeder works. I've just about finished the entire brake system on my project MJ and saw speed bleeders on the HELP shelf at NAPA. Wondering if they are an advantage or what?

Also, when I'm looking for brake lines there is a note that says:

Opposite side may require lockout

What does that mean, and do I need it?

4.3LXJ
04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
They are an advantage if you are bleeding brakes by yourself. They have a spring loaded poppet ball in them that allows fluid to pass and then seal up when the pressure is gone to not allow air to enter. They can be a real plus, but if you have a friend to work the pedal, then I prefer that method.

prerunner1982
04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
you can bleed your brakes without the speed bleeder and without a friend. Connect a piece of tubing onto the bleeder, put other end into small cup of brake fluid. Open bleeder and slowly pump the brake 3-5 times. Retighten bleeder with hose still connected and in cup (submerged in brake fluid). This has worked much better for me than the two person bleeding.

rockcrusher
04-29-2010, 04:38 PM
you can bleed your brakes without the speed bleeder and without a friend. Connect a piece of tubing onto the bleeder, put other end into small cup of brake fluid. Open bleeder and slowly pump the brake 3-5 times. Retighten bleeder with hose still connected and in cup (submerged in brake fluid). This has worked much better for me than the two person bleeding.

xx2