PDA

View Full Version : ERG valve

Thomass
04-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Hi all,

Right now I'm assembling the engine and his components.
because the intake manifold was full of sludge, i cleaned the inside.

now i am resembling the parts back on the manifold, and i noticed that on the ERG valve some one (previous owner) has glued a metal plate on the gasket side to cover up the holes in there.

What could be the reason to do so, now it is just bolted to the intake manifold and has no function. :confused:
Can any one explain why, (it must be done for some reason)

Thomass

4.3LXJ
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
The EGR lets hot exhaust gasses enter the air to the cylinders. This is done so that the temps inside the cylinders can be lowered to control NOX, or nitrates if you prefer. This can be as high as 18% of the new air in some engines. By blocking it off, you can get more power out of the engine, but you will fail emissions and of course I have to say it is not legal to do so.

Thomass
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM
By blocking it off, you can get more power out of the engine, but you will fail emissions and of course I have to say it is not legal to do so.

I do understand this, however, in the Netherlands we do not have the same emission-law as in the US. Here it is not illegal, to tamper with this.
But, i think that i have to make this wright the original way as it has meant to be (Yes, envoirement (difficult word) is important)

But i do thank you for the explanation

Thomass

4.3LXJ
04-23-2010, 02:19 PM
I forgot you were in the Netherlands Thomass. But yes, you can try that either way if you have no emissions laws there. I always thought Europe in general was very strict on emissions. But maybe it varies with the country?

Thomass
04-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I forgot you were in the Netherlands Thomass. But yes, you can try that either way if you have no emissions laws there. I always thought Europe in general was very strict on emissions. But maybe it varies with the country?

We do have emission control, just once a year. but this is minimal and the persons working within the control centres who is doing the test are not the same minded. I mean, what will fail the test in one garage will pass in an other.

In Germany, this is much strict, they even closed complete city's, for cars with bad emission. (generally for most vehicles older than 10 years :sad0147:)
for me and my rig, it means that i have to park the XJ outside those city's and travel further with public transport :smiley-laughing021:

Thomass

4.3LXJ
04-23-2010, 07:02 PM
:wow: And we thought it was bad here. That is really being anal.

xj4life2
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
News flash ...... Chico will be closed mon, wed and fri for air polution control days however all lakes and streams will be open for fishing. And then I woke up......

4.3LXJ
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Does that apply to Paradise too, or is it above it all?