PDA

View Full Version : Spammer - You have received an eCard

Mudderoy
04-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Never! NEVER! click on a link, or download a file that has an extension of ZIP. A program can be executed automatically that will infect your computer with a virus or malware.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/spammer6.jpg

Take a close look at the e-mail address that this is from. "innocently" :rotfl2: This must be an OKAY e-mail then! NOT!

4.3LXJ
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Good advice. My operating system detects this stuff and notifies me if it has an application.

xj4life2
04-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Good advice !!! I have a rule that if I don't know the sender or it looks hinkey ... its gone

Rysam
04-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I sure do love my Macs.

Mudderoy
04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I sure do love my Macs.

And as long as the public at large continues to reject them you'll be able to continue to enjoy lack of viruses and malware.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
That is true. But again Mac OS is not designed to be hacked by everyone with a computer business either. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that is the big draw for sick people that want to do mischief.

Mudderoy
04-23-2010, 02:36 PM
That is true. But again Mac OS is not designed to be hacked by everyone with a computer business either. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that is the big draw for sick people that want to do mischief.

Yep, LINUX will be next then MAC OS if it gets big enough. I've never read anything that explains how MAC OS is anything special as far as keeping unwanted programs from running. All I've ever read was that since the installation base is so small virus and malware writers simply target their mischief towards larger targets.

If you know something more please share it, I'm always curious about stuff.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Yep, LINUX will be next then MAC OS if it gets big enough. I've never read anything that explains how MAC OS is anything special as far as keeping unwanted programs from running. All I've ever read was that since the installation base is so small virus and malware writers simply target their mischief towards larger targets.

If you know something more please share it, I'm always curious about stuff.

The big difference between the old and new Mac OS and Windows is that Windows is designed to be hacked, and files inserted while the OS is running with no problem. That is why it has always been a favorite in the business community. The Mac OS requires a separate operating system to be running while the original is altered. I am not saying it can't be done, but it is much more difficult to pull that off while a file is opened. Also even if clicked on, the OS notifies you of any applications imbedded in the file and asks permission to open them. Mine has caught several spy ware programs, which I removed with secure trash which erases the hard drive in those areas.

The other thing I do is get all my mail through Apple. They check everything for viruses before I get it. Apple also updates my OS periodically for free with security updates.

toebee97
05-13-2010, 06:39 AM
As long as Microsoft Controls the market, no other companies will have a chance. Mac OS and Linux are better only because nobody has exploited them due to their unpopularity. They are both derived from UNIX, which is easier to code for than Windows. But because 80% of the world is hooked to a Microsoft drip needle, the hackers go where the money is.

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
As long as Microsoft Controls the market, no other companies will have a chance. Mac OS and Linux are better only because nobody has exploited them due to their unpopularity. They are both derived from UNIX, which is easier to code for than Windows. But because 80% of the world is hooked to a Microsoft drip needle, the hackers go where the money is.

You can spend you time writing malicious code for 80% or what's left over, it's that simple.