PDA

View Full Version : 1991 AX-15 removal for slave cylinder

Rysam
04-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Anyone have any hints or tricks? my slave cylinder took a dump on me last night so now I need to go in. I plan on doing the clutch too while im there. This is my first transmission type repair, I've got the skills just not the experience.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
hey man send me a email and ill send you a pdf on how to do it better than a chiltons.

[email protected]

xj4life2
04-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Its pretty self explanitory once you get in there, holler if you need some help or questions I have Alldata up and running all day long

Rysam
04-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the offers gents, I have a FSM available, but why would I want to follow directions. wheres the fun in that? I guess I just need to get in there and get to work, after it stops raining of course.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
its not really hard. just be glad its not a ranger they are almost imposable to bleed.

Rysam
04-23-2010, 09:21 AM
To start the ball rolling, I bled the heck outta the clutch and it still wont disengage fully. I still need to put my foot beyond the floor to get a decent shift. It was wishful thinking that it would work.

cheap jeep
04-24-2010, 08:40 PM
I worked on a F150,5 speed and they run a plastic bushing on the plunger rod on the pedal.The bushing was worn rather badly,so I changed it and it helped quite a bit.HTH

4.3LXJ
04-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Rysam

Before you tear that slave out, is it leaking? If not, it is not the slave, it is the master cylinder. Replace it first. There is a little cup that has to seal in the end of the thing that if it doesn't seal right away, will not allow enough fluid under pressure to run the slave. That is probably what is happening.

Rysam
04-25-2010, 01:35 AM
no leaks, the pedal is very weak and goes to the floor without disengaging fully. it wont pump up, only gets closer to the floor. If it sits overnight I can get a trip butte but it starts to fade before i make it home, Im pretty good at shifting without the clutch (CDL) so its not too bad.
Its working for a minute but something needs to be done soon. priorities have taken precedent the last week though,the fish have been biting too good! I'll get to it in the near future.

4.3LXJ
04-25-2010, 11:45 AM
After reading this, I am sticking with the master cylinder assessment. If done right, you might get by with changing it and not bleeding the slave. You will have to bench bled the new one. Whenever I have used NAPA master cylinders, they would not fully disengage the clutch. Happened twice to me and I ended up lengthening the push rod. I would use another brand.

Rysam
04-25-2010, 06:49 PM
It would be nice to not have to drop the tranny...vatozone, kragen and NAPA are my options and I prefer napa. I'l just keep going back until it's right. I'll call around tuesday when i get out of class.

xj4life2
04-26-2010, 03:03 PM
I agree change the master first

Rysam
05-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I still haven't done squat except bleed the clutch some more. that seems to be working well enough for now. I know its just band-aided, theres a bigger problem going on but it can wait for a while longer..

Rysam
05-11-2010, 03:49 PM
It waited as long as I could. The MC locked up a couple times and acted weird on my way back from school today. When I got it out,it looks like the pushrod ate the socket somehow. 45$ and 1/2hr later Im in business again and wow what a diffference.