PDA

View Full Version : Replaced the oil filter adapter o-rings today

firehawk
04-17-2010, 12:25 PM
FINALLY got the time to work on this. I found a set of Torx wrenches at O'Rileys. They are like allen wrenches... one long end and one short end. The T-60 fit between the adapter bolt and the frame with room to spare. I used it and a cheater bar and the adapter bolt broke free without any trouble.:thumbsup:

I found the old o-ring was dried up and was .013 smaller in diameter than the new one. No wonder it leaked. I didn't remove the oil filter, and only lost a very small amount of oil. Although I didn't see any signs of Lock Tite on the bolt, I put some blue Lock Tite on it.

After fixing the valve cover leak, and now this, I hope my oil leaks are all taken care of. If they are, I have to clean the damn oil spot off the driveway now.:mad0090:

I guess I really shouldn't complain too much....:rolleyes: the Jeep is 10 years old, and has 126,000 miles on it.:driving:

Mudderoy
04-17-2010, 12:29 PM
FINALLY got the time to work on this. I found a set of Torx wrenches at O'Rileys. They are like allen wrenches... one long end and one short end. The T-60 fit between the adapter bolt and the frame with room to spare. I used it and a cheater bar and the adapter bolt broke free without any trouble.:thumbsup:

I found the old o-ring was dried up and was .013 smaller in diameter than the new one. No wonder it leaked. I didn't remove the oil filter, and only lost a very small amount of oil. Although I didn't see any signs of Lock Tite on the bolt, I put some blue Lock Tite on it.

After fixing the valve cover leak, and now this, I hope my oil leaks are all taken care of. If they are, I have to clean the damn oil spot off the driveway now.:mad0090:

I guess I really shouldn't complain too much....:rolleyes: the Jeep is 10 years old, and has 126,000 miles on it.:driving:

Where did you get the "O" rings and how much? There are 3 "O" rings in the kit, correct?

firehawk
04-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Where did you get the "O" rings and how much? There are 3 "O" rings in the kit, correct?

I got the o-rings at O'Rileys. I bought the FelPro "kit" which only had the large o-ring, and a kit that is sold in the section where all the "HELP" stuff is. It is HELP part # 82560 "oil adapter and cooler gasket assortment".

Don't waste your money buying the FelPro kit since all the o-rings you'll need are in the HELP kit. I didn't notice that until after I had already opened the Felpro package.:stars: I don't remember the price of the HELP kit, but I'm sure it was less than $10. Might have been $6.99.:confused:

BTW, the HELP stuff is sold everywhere, AutoZone, Advantage Auto, etc... not just O'Rileys.

I drove the Jeep to get some gas a few minutes ago. When I got home I can see no leak/new spot on the drive.:cheerleader:

Mudderoy
04-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I got the o-rings at O'Rileys. I bought the FelPro "kit" which only had the large o-ring, and a kit that is sold in the section where all the "HELP" stuff is. It is HELP part # 82560 "oil adapter and cooler gasket assortment".

Don't waste your money buying the FelPro kit since all the o-rings you'll need are in the HELP kit. I didn't notice that until after I had already opened the Felpro package.:stars: I don't remember the price of the HELP kit, but I'm sure it was less than $10. Might have been $6.99.:confused:

BTW, the HELP stuff is sold everywhere, AutoZone, Advantage Auto, etc... not just O'Rileys.

I drove the Jeep to get some gas a few minutes ago. When I got home I can see no leak/new spot on the drive.:cheerleader:

Thanks! Don't get too upset when you see another spot. Remember that stuff coats everything and depending on various factors it will drip off.

firehawk
04-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks! Don't get too upset when you see another spot. Remember that stuff coats everything and depending on various factors it will drip off.

Yeah I know, there is oil behind the flywheel cover. It has already ran down and dripped. I was getting a spot about 3" in diameter almost everytime I shut it off.:eek: The bottom of the oil pan was ALWAYS wet with oil too. So I am at least doing better!:D