PDA

View Full Version : BA 10/5 shifter (PITA)

ParadiseXJ
04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
I posted this on ComancheClub and NAXJA but I'll make it my very first post here.

So, my 88 MJ (4.0, BA 10, 231) is endowed with a nice BA10/5 tranny. I also have an AW4 waiting deployment...BUT...until I get the rest of the parts for the AW4 I have to use the Peugot. I know how the shifter goes in and out. My problem is dismantling the shifter ITSELF.

The shifter boot is toast, as are the other pieces on the shifter. To remove the old toasted boot and put on the shiny new (junkyard) boot and related parts I need to separate the bottom part of the shifter from the uppr part. It's held in place inside the fat part of the shifter with a rubber piece with what looks like a pressure clip surrounding it.

I have searched and Googled, FSM'd, Chilton, Haynes etc. and NOBODY even mentions how to replace the lower boot. It can't slide over from the top or the bottom unless that fat part in the middle is removed.

Anyone have a photo or advice on how to get that piece off?? I'm stumped.

xj4life2
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey Paradisexj , here's a link for ya hope this helps if not let me know and I'll keep lookin'
Mark
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/separating-gear-shifter-513891/

ParadiseXJ
04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
That was the link I've been looking for for 2 weeks, thank you!

I did find a solution though. The donor shifter came apart fairly easy with a vise and a crowbar. Like a pickle fork with more leverage. After I got that one apart, the other one was easier to rig up. My shifter is a little different than the one in that post but the extension comes apart the same way.

I have a different extension to go onto the shifter post. More engineering.