PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings

xjredneck
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
anyone ever replace a wheel bearing if so how long does it take and how hard is it?????

rguignard
04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
its pretty easy but you need a 12 point 13 mm socket for the bolts but as long as it not rusty it should be about a hour job :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
It is not bad if not rusted. Sometimes they come out hard. If so,get them started by hitting the axle with a dead blow hammer and drive it in a little and when it bounces back out the wheel bearing will be started. Sometimes you have to use a puller on it also.

alwaysxj
04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
i did mine and it was rusted bad i had too use a slid hammer and it took for ever. good luck.

xj4life2
04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Hit it with PB Blaster the night before and you should be fine, if you have to break it loose I normally just beat it from behind then replace the nuts, works every time.

firehawk
04-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Never forget..... HEAT is your friend!:D

troys96xj
05-16-2010, 09:19 PM
If everything comes off easy then it takes about an hour if that per side.HEY,I just noticed the Hummer H2 level thing and don't like it. I drive an XJ!lol

troys96xj
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
You need a 12 point 13mm and a 36mm sockets.Remove the tire,caliper and rotor.There are 3 13mm bolts on the back of hub,loosen them and then remove the axle nut[36mm]. If the hub is stuck then take a chissel and pound it between the hub and axle to knock it free. Remove the hub after its free.Install is reverse of removal.

Mudderoy
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
If everything comes off easy then it takes about an hour if that per side.HEY,I just noticed the Hummer H2 level thing and don't like it. I drive an XJ!lol

hummer; that's on there to encourage people to post. You're not supposed to like it! :smiley-laughing021:

XJ Rat
05-17-2010, 12:25 PM
anyone ever replace a wheel bearing if so how long does it take and how hard is it?????

I know, its not an XJ site, but Stu's website is a wealth of information. Here is his write up for stuck bearing removal.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

Oh yeah, when I changed out unit bearings, my 3/8" drive Crafstman sockets split (two separate sockets). Had to use the extra beef in a 1/2" drive socket. Remember, PB Blaster the day before and never-seez upon assembly. Good luck, it is not a bad job except for removal if you have a lot of rust.

cantab27
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
different names for things down here ..this may help , if not ignore
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHubReplacement.htm

xjarcher
06-03-2010, 11:15 AM
If you live where rust is a factor (anyplace but Arizona I'd say) the grade 8 bolt method is great. I've also used an old impact socket, usually about 15mm. After removing the 12pt bolts, thread one of the lower ones back in half way. Put the socket on it and turn the steering wheel in the proper direction to seat the socket against the steering knuckle. Start the jeep and turn the wheel a little further and it will pop right out. That was much faster than working my way around it with a cold chisel for an hour. Yep, did that on my first one way back when. Never again.

brianwy77
06-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Can any one tell me the symptoms of bad wheel berings? I jacked the wheel off the ground and tried to feel any thing loose, I couldn't find any thing.

cantab27
06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
front or back....front jack wheel up , grab wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and see if movement that way....not sure of back but mine were shot when seals started to leak.....some with a better explanation will chime in .....cheers