PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Driving problem

Kimber6331
04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
hey guys had a quick question. was out driving my 2001 xj on highway, doing about 60-65 (around 2ooo rpm) and the engine stalled/shut off for about 4-5 seconds, pressed the accelerator couple times, and then it came back on almost like a brief surge, all while still moving. .what could cause this to happen? its happened about three times already. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Mudderoy
04-08-2010, 01:07 AM
hey guys had a quick question. was out driving my 2001 xj on highway, doing about 60-65 (around 2ooo rpm) and the engine stalled/shut off for about 4-5 seconds, pressed the accelerator couple times, and then it came back on almost like a brief surge, all while still moving. .what could cause this to happen? its happened about three times already. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

A very common problem is the crank position sensor, but it could be a fuel flow issue, etc... Did you get a "Check Engine" light?

Kimber6331
04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
yeaa the lights been on for a week or so now. been meaning to get it checked. dont want to sound like an idiot, but what is the crank position sensor? and thats what i thought it was a fuel related problem but wouldnt know where to start ...:hmmmm2:

Mudderoy
04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
yeaa the lights been on for a week or so now. been meaning to get it checked. dont want to sound like an idiot, but what is the crank position sensor? and thats what i thought it was a fuel related problem but wouldnt know where to start ...:hmmmm2:

Ok I believe the fuel pump and filter are located in the fuel tank. The light isn't very good there so lets start some where else! :rotfl2:

You can check the fuel pressure on the rail, you'll need a fuel pressure gauge of course.

The CPS is located on the driver's side of the bell housing. The cable runs up from that location to the back of the 4.0L. I would disconnect that connector and reconnect it to see if there are bad or dirty connections. Replacing it isn't too bad, just two bolts. Getting too it may be a little tough. With over 200k miles you might well have a CPS issue.

The CPS gives the ECM positional information so it knows when and what cylinder to fire. Without the signal from the CPS you are D E D dead in the water!

I changed my CPS before I had any issues. I found a NEW one on ebay for $39.95. I think they go for around $75 on most automotive sites, maybe $100.

Kimber6331
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
ok awesome definitely gunna check on that. sounds like it could be the reason. ill keep updating. thanks!

Kimber6331
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
anyone know the best size jack i should get for my xj? i just tried to use the one that was sold with my xj but its not even tall enough! it looks a toy that a would honda require. i tried setting it up under different spots but its not even close! my co worker suggested the kind auto shops carry but i need something that can fit in my cargo. any ideas??

4.3LXJ
04-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I saw a hydraulic scissors jack once that was really cool. It had three tiers instead of two. Got quite tall. Found it in a farm supply store

prcjeep
04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
anyone know the best size jack i should get for my xj? i just tried to use the one that was sold with my xj but its not even tall enough! it looks a toy that a would honda require. i tried setting it up under different spots but its not even close! my co worker suggested the kind auto shops carry but i need something that can fit in my cargo. any ideas??

Does the one you got look like this? This is the one that came with mine... I have to put it in certain places for it to get the tire off the ground... I dont think its really intended to lift more than just the tire off... You could try using a block of wood to gain more lift from it

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/HPIM8393.jpg

Kimber6331
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
yea its not exactly like that but pretty much same model. i cant even get a tire off the ground. where do you usually set it up?

alwaysxj
04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
if you have sliders or custom bumpers you could get a hi lift. and too me it sound like a fuel pump problem.

prcjeep
04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
as low as possible... on the front i think the lower control arm in the front and the rear shock mount in the rear... If your tires are a lot bigger than stock, it may not have enough travel to lift them off

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/front-1.jpg
Both of these spots have worked for me.. I'm running 30x950's
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/front-1.jpg

prcjeep
04-08-2010, 06:07 PM
here's the rear
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/HPIM8396-1.jpg

Kimber6331
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
unfortunately i have neither. just got it little while ago, completely stock except wheels. looks like ill need to invest in a fuel pressure gauge as well

SargDeath
04-08-2010, 07:53 PM

I would say get a Jack All, you kind of need steel bumpers or a rock rails though:chuck:

Kimber6331
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
yea i was thinking about puttin it there but someone told me it would bend it so i decided not to. but eventually im going to lift it and throw at's on there so ill need a better jack anyway. thanks tho those pics should def come in handy!

Kimber6331
04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
ok cool thanks!

Melissa
04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
A very common problem is the crank position sensor, but it could be a fuel flow issue, etc... Did you get a "Check Engine" light?

When my CPS was going, my jeep would die while going down the road, but the only way to get it back started was to throw it in neutral and start it back up, never did pressing the fuel peddle a few times worked on mine, just thought I'd throw that in

cpttuna
04-09-2010, 03:58 AM
I always carry a couple pieces of 2X4. I sit the jack on top and place it under the axle.

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Welcome to XJ Talk...While you are diagnosing the running issue. If your 2001 run's on a single Ignition Coil like the earlier 90's do A lot of them act up at time's because of the IGN COIL'S beginning to fail. Napa Auto Part's carry a good one for Xj'S. Stay in touch with xj talk...

Mudderoy
04-09-2010, 09:02 AM
When my CPS was going, my jeep would die while going down the road, but the only way to get it back started was to throw it in neutral and start it back up, never did pressing the fuel peddle a few times worked on mine, just thought I'd throw that in

What was the solution Mel?

Melissa
04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
What was the solution Mel?

Well.................I had just bought my jeep and knew nothing about it, so I took it back to where I bought it and they told me it was my CPS and replaced it, cost me over $300 :eek:.

Knowing what I know now, I could have done it myself for a whole lot less :mad0090:

Mudderoy
04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Well.................I had just bought my jeep and knew nothing about it, so I took it back to where I bought it and they told me it was my CPS and replaced it, cost me over $300 :eek:.

Knowing what I know now, I could have done it myself for a whole lot less :mad0090:

Okay cool, I assumed it was the CPS but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Kimber6331
04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
so im not too sure if it runs on single ignition coil. how could i check? im pretty much a rookie when it comes to xjs so sorry for all the questions......its been pretty busy lately with work so once i get a chance i will check the fuel pump, the cps, and the ignition coil...how much do you think napa sells ignition coils
for?

4.3LXJ
04-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Ignition coils are cheap.

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I have been working all day, So sometime's depending on the year and model will determine the cost. I have been running Ign. Coil's from Auto-zone around $45.00. I had to put mine in the shop recently. and the mechanic advised me to start getting my electronic's from napa. Ign Coil $80.00.If you have a single Ign. Coil you can locate it by following the center plug wire from your distributor. If your 2001 XJ is running a single Ign. Coil all of your plug wire's will be connected straight to your spark plug's and not anything between your plug wire's and spark plug's. Some vehecle's do have a small Ignition like coil on each spark plug. Stay in touch...

Thomass
04-10-2010, 04:27 AM
and the engine stalled/shut off for about 4-5 seconds,

Tell me more, How did it stop? at once or slow and delayed.
if it stopped at once, and and a few seconds later the engine picked up suddenly again without a delay, you should be checking, the CPS and the wires/connectors up to the ECM. if you wish i'll send you detailed info.

But if the engine went of slow, and picked up again, it is the fuel/air combination.
As far as i can remember, the fuel pump, is in the tank, and the filter somewhere by the rear axle (just follow the fuel line).

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/Thomass-Raphael/My%20XJ%20related%20Pics/10042010237.jpg

what you see is the left shock and the rear axle. in the middle you see the filter

Thomm

Mudderoy
04-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Tell me more, How did it stop? at once or slow and delayed.
if it stopped at once, and and a few seconds later the engine picked up suddenly again without a delay, you should be checking, the CPS and the wires/connectors up to the ECM. if you wish i'll send you detailed info.

But if the engine went of slow, and picked up again, it is the fuel/air combination.
As far as i can remember, the fuel pump, is in the tank, and the filter somewhere by the rear axle (just follow the fuel line).

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/Thomass-Raphael/My%20XJ%20related%20Pics/10042010237.jpg

what you see is the left shock and the rear axle. in the middle you see the filter

Thomm

Yeah but the 97+ XJs have the filter on the inside of the tank. Someone correct me here, I'd love for my fuel filter to be somewhere I could get to it easier.

Kimber6331
04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
i think it might be single coil but i have no way of checking yet, have to get a jack or some wood to get it high enough...and when it shut off it was almost as if i just turned it off so i guess it stopped at once. engine and electronics turned off but i didnt stop just gliding along until eventually it surged back on round 3500 rpm and went back to normal. .thanks for the pic ill have to see if its in the tank or not

Kimber6331
04-10-2010, 10:55 AM
ok so i couldnt find anything resembling a filter near there so it must be in the tank i guess. so best way to go about that would be to take it apartand take them out and check them? . . .. . and as far as the coil goes should i be checking for it under the body or under the hood? little confused on that :confused:

4.3LXJ
04-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Your fuel filter is in the tank. You will have to drop it to get it out. Also I think on the 01s they use one coil per cylinder. Muddy can confirm that. Get that code read so we can stop speculating and get down to the real problem.

prcjeep
04-10-2010, 03:01 PM
ok so i couldnt find anything resembling a filter near there so it must be in the tank i guess. so best way to go about that would be to take it apartand take them out and check them? . . .. . and as far as the coil goes should i be checking for it under the body or under the hood? little confused on that :confused:

I was searching and found this diagram... According to this, it shows it on top of the furl filter and the gas talk must be dropped to get to it...

Also the site said this was for 97+

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/prcrawfo/fuel.gif

prcjeep
04-10-2010, 03:15 PM
i think it might be single coil but i have no way of checking yet, have to get a jack or some wood to get it high enough...and when it shut off it was almost as if i just turned it off so i guess it stopped at once. engine and electronics turned off but i didnt stop just gliding along until eventually it surged back on round 3500 rpm and went back to normal. .thanks for the pic ill have to see if its in the tank or not

You said the engine AND electronics shut off? Are you talking about like lights and radio, gauges? If thats the case then I dont think this would be fuel supply related... I don't know what it could be if this was the case... But anyone else that has an answer I would be interested to know too

Mudderoy
04-10-2010, 03:28 PM
You said the engine AND electronics shut off? Are you talking about like lights and radio, gauges? If thats the case then I dont think this would be fuel supply related... I don't know what it could be if this was the case... But anyone else that has an answer I would be interested to know too

Yeah I missed that. If you are losing "electrical" power then this wouldn't be a CPS, or fuel related issue. It would be something really simple like a bad battery cable, or lose connection.

If you remember a bright light, missing time and your underwear in on inside out and backwards, then it could be a UFO abduction.

prcjeep
04-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah I missed that. If you are losing "electrical" power then this wouldn't be a CPS, or fuel related issue. It would be something really simple like a bad battery cable, or lose connection.

If you remember a bright light, missing time and your underwear in on inside out and backwards, then it could be a UFO abduction.

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

I know alternator will make the gauges and "electronics" go in and out on you... Havent had this happen on my jeep but it did on my S10... I had to keep it revved high and drove home with out gauges...

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-10-2010, 07:07 PM
O.K. If you are in fact getting a Check Engine light.. Then call around your local part's store's here in north Texas some of them will hook-up a hand held scanner a tell you what your code's are at no cost..So with your code's retrieved you know exactly what part's to buy...

wv jeeper
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I can tell you that you dont have a single coil. The 2000 and up jeeps have a coil pack on the spark plugs. You may want to check the plug on it or replace it. They are known for going bad on Xjs.

Kimber6331
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
ok i will run it to a shop today and get the code and yes im pretty sure engine AND electrical. thanks for all the help!

prcjeep
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
ok i will run it to a shop today and get the code and yes im pretty sure engine AND electrical. thanks for all the help!

Good deal... Let us know... Dont pay for the test though... There should be some places that will do it for free

Kimber6331
04-13-2010, 07:26 PM
ok so i went to pep boys and the guy plugged it up and told me i have three codes. first one was for a general misfire. second said misfire in cylinder 3 and third said misfire in cylinder 5. guy said a "tune up" should fix the problem. im guessing new spark plugs and new plug wires?

4.3LXJ
04-13-2010, 08:04 PM
A tune up won't hurt, but those are also heat soak issues on the last two. The tune up will probably help the general misfire which was the general shutting down. But may not cure it entirely. You were not by any chance going around a corner on a nearly empty tank of gas were you?

pvt.Tadpol xj
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
A basic tune-up consist's of champion plug's, new disrt.cap, plug wire's , and rotor....Great place to start...stay in touch!

Kimber6331
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey people sorry for tha lack of comm i have been a little "busy" for past 4 months! thank you guys so much for the help! I have progressed in the details here if you all are interested...
So i have narrowed it down to either spark failure or fuel pump failure do to the fact that when engine quits iti s just the engine; electricity and radio still run fine even after stall. I'm also thinkning the fuel pump relay might be overheating due to the observation that everytime engine quits i can try to start it back up all i want but it will not start up until after it has been sitting for 5-20 minutes, which I'm thinkning may be a "cool off" period. I'm planning to test/check fuel pump and check/test sparks this week because it still has a misfire in the equation. Any ideas or hints that would help? thanks guys!

Kimber6331
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
and i want to figure out what problme is before i buy parts, its just hard to find someone that can physically look at it who knows alot about xjs. Im thinking it may be time to get looked at by jeep dealer. Bad idea huh?

Mudderoy
08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
and i want to figure out what problme is before i buy parts, its just hard to find someone that can physically look at it who knows alot about xjs. Im thinking it may be time to get looked at by jeep dealer. Bad idea huh?

Wasn't there a heat soak issue with the 2000-2001 XJs? Seems like I remember reading something about the engine would stop and would have to cool down before it would start again. Something about an injector (or two?) getting to hot to function correctly? I think it needed a heat shield.

Kimber6331
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Yea I have a tinfoil homemade looking heat shield on top but i never knew what it was for! seller never mentioned it all he said was it was a heat shield for the oil or some bs. where did you read this? is there a link?

Mudderoy
08-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Yea I have a tinfoil homemade looking heat shield on top but i never knew what it was for! seller never mentioned it all he said was it was a heat shield for the oil or some bs. where did you read this? is there a link?

Let me see what I can find. It could have been anywhere! :smiley-scared002: :smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
It was most common to the 2000-2001 XJ's due to the addition of two pre-cats in the exhaust manifold. Jeep's fix was heat shields for the fuel injectors that didn't really fix the problem. My 2001 suffered from the heat soak issue and I added Genright hood vents and it hasn't happened since. The heat soak would never cause it not to start though, it would just run like crap for about a minute until it used up the vaporized fuel. If yours just refuses to start, it might be something else, like a bad starter. Also, I didn't get any heat soak issues until I added the factory rubber splash shield and I assume that prevented some air flow around the engine.

:link: (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1036312)

So based on this your problem may not be heat soak, or heat soak alone.

Kimber6331
08-03-2010, 05:18 PM
heh....Im not sure it would be heat soak, my xj doesnt have a problem starting, only has problem starting right after engine quits, and even when it wont start it still sounds like a healthy starter (powerful clicks). Is that making sense? And after 5-10 mins it starts up normal like nothing even happened. Still though, ill look into this as well. Thanks for the data! Ill post a pic anyhow. Maybe you guys can find something I can't :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Powerful clicks, does it turn the engine round and round when it does this?

Kimber6331
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Maybe "clicks" was a bad word to describe it.. Starter sounds fine battery sounds fine. Its not like a dying/fading start. . its turning the engine. Its everything like a healthy strong start except engine just doesnt pick up. wont start only after engine quits. And when it picks back up, its fine. It quits from anywhere bewteen 1-6 times a day. I also noticed it has never quit on me in winter season and rarely if ever in rain. So I def think temp/overheating as something to do with it, even though temp gauge never goes above 210

Mudderoy
08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Maybe "clicks" was a bad word to describe it.. Starter sounds fine battery sounds fine. Its not like a dying/fading start. . its turning the engine. Its everything like a healthy strong start except engine just doesnt pick up. wont start only after engine quits. And when it picks back up, its fine. It quits from anywhere bewteen 1-6 times a day. I also noticed it has never quit on me in winter season and rarely if ever in rain. So I def think temp/overheating as something to do with it, even though temp gauge never goes above 210

Steve, doesn't this sound like heat soak? I've never had it, just read about it.

4.3LXJ
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Steve, doesn't this sound like heat soak? I've never had it, just read about it.

Heat soak is when you shut off the engine and restart a short time later and you get a misfire, generally in #3. What he is experiencing is engine failure while running if I am reading correctly. This I am taking it is due to some component failure.

Kimber6331
08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I've had misfires in 3 and 5, but right, it only has trouble when its running. or when i stop at a stop sign, red light, etc. after ive been driving atleast 10 mintes. or until normal operating temp. I have a list of possibilites .....:stars:

Kimber6331
08-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Im checking CPS later today. Earlier today, I let my xj run idle for around 20 minutes to let it stall then checked the fuel pressure. So after it stalled/quit I tried to check fuel pressure; I hooked up fuel pressure gauge made sure it was TIGHT and attempted to start xj several times, waiting to see if I got any pressure... no pressure. then last time I turned key it started but still read no pressure on gauge. I don't understand, did I check that correctly? And is there another way to check fuel pressure or fuel pump because first attempt to check it from the rail some gas sprayed out when I unscrewed gauge. A little dangerous.

Mudderoy
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Im checking CPS later today. Earlier today, I let my xj run idle for around 20 minutes to let it stall then checked the fuel pressure. So after it stalled/quit I tried to check fuel pressure; I hooked up fuel pressure gauge made sure it was TIGHT and attempted to start xj several times, waiting to see if I got any pressure... no pressure. then last time I turned key it started but still read no pressure on gauge. I don't understand, did I check that correctly? And is there another way to check fuel pressure or fuel pump because first attempt to check it from the rail some gas sprayed out when I unscrewed gauge. A little dangerous.

I don't know if you know this or not, but the fuel pump and filter are located in the fuel tank. :smiley-scared002:

4.3LXJ
08-04-2010, 03:29 PM
You should be able to check the fuel pressure at the rail. That is the normal way. There is a schrader fitting for the purpose. If it runs and you show no pressure, then I would suspect there is something wrong with the gauge or that it is not hooked up correctly.

xj4life2
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Make sure the static part on the guage is makeing contact and depressing the shrader valve on the rail. I run into this all the time just unhook and try again

xj4life2
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Sounds to me as if the IAC motor is failing , The jeep will bearly sart and then once you feather the pedal it will run ok ?? If the IAC is stuck it will run like dookie untill the computer takes over , then it will be ok untill you shut it off and then it will start all over again.

Kimber6331
08-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Yea I know they're in the fuel tank I just gotta plan on how to drop it and check it. And as far as the pressure gauge I hooked it up to the rail several times and no pressure. but i think the biggest sign that tells me i probably hooked it up wrong is that it started and no pressure was reading.:headshake: .

And it starts up great. it only has trouble starting after it quits. It feels like whatever is preventing the motor from running great is preventing it from starting after it quits as well.

I went to check the CPS but i still cant locate it. any tall tale signs that could help?

default83
08-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Sounds to me as if the IAC motor is failing , The jeep will bearly sart and then once you feather the pedal it will run ok ?? If the IAC is stuck it will run like dookie untill the computer takes over , then it will be ok untill you shut it off and then it will start all over again.

IAC would make it idle like crap though.

so just so im understanding right, it starts up in the morning fine, runs great, no rough idle then just cuts off after 20 minutes or so and wont start up for another 10 minutes?

sounds to me like you need a new fuel filter.

Kimber6331
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
right. starts up first thing fine. idle is fine. runs fine. BAM. quits. and right its ONLY right after it quits that it wont start up. After letting it sit for ten minutes, starts up fine. just like morning. It goes through this cycle once to six times a day. thats what everyones saying fuel pump/filter. Still wanna check CPS and sparks. wouldnt hurt to replace them anyway since im over 225k miles.

default83
08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
right. starts up first thing fine. idle is fine. runs fine. BAM. quits. and right its ONLY right after it quits that it wont start up. After letting it sit for ten minutes, starts up fine. just like morning. It goes through this cycle once to six times a day. thats what everyones saying fuel pump/filter. Still wanna check CPS and sparks. wouldnt hurt to replace them anyway since im over 225k miles.

pretty sure, something like CPS would throw a code.

replacing the plugs is a good idea.

xj4life2
08-05-2010, 12:21 PM
IAC would make it idle like crap though.so just so im understanding right, it starts up in the morning fine, runs great, no rough idle then just cuts off after 20 minutes or so and wont start up for another 10 minutes?

sounds to me like you need a new fuel filter.

Only on initial start up after that the computer would take control and it would run off the prom (progamable read only memory) in open loop.

xj4life2
08-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Just an off hand thought have you checked / replaced the fuel pump relay ? A relay that heats up may stick and cause this.

Kimber6331
08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
No i havent checked the pump relay or the filter or the pump itself. I gotta drop it just not sure how. Im planning to do it in the next 24 hours. what does a bad relay look like?

and i got codes a while a go it was two misifres and a general misfire. Still, i want to check CPS too just dont know where to locate it

Mudderoy
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
No i havent checked the pump relay or the filter or the pump itself. I gotta drop it just not sure how. Im planning to do it in the next 24 hours. what does a bad relay look like?

and i got codes a while a go it was two misifres and a general misfire. Still, i want to check CPS too just dont know where to locate it

It comes up from the back of the engine on the driver's side. It connects near the back of the intake. Sometime that connecting just needs to be cleaned. Sorry I just remembered that. DOH!

Kimber6331
08-05-2010, 01:55 PM
where could i reach that from just pop the hood?

Kimber6331
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
ok so i got CPS replaced and it hasnt stalled since. pretty confident that that was the problem. thank you to all you guys for helping me. we'll see how this goes..

Mudderoy
08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
ok so i got CPS replaced and it hasnt stalled since. pretty confident that that was the problem. thank you to all you guys for helping me. we'll see how this goes..

All in all $300 is still pretty cheap so that your Jeep gets you from point to point without any delay. Next time you might want to try changing it yourself, say in the next 100k miles. :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
08-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Glad to hear it.:thumbsup: