PDA

View Full Version : Reusable Oilfilter

Thomass
04-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Hi all,

I found out that my engine is contaminated, with black sludge.:eek:
So after lifting the cylinder head and start cleaning of the sludge. The days to come, i also have to clean the engine inside and replacing some of the seals.
Today i drove around on my motorcycle with some friends and we discussed the item. The word "reusable oil filter came along, because after cleaning the engine, there will be still particles in the engine,what has to be filtered out.
i intended to change the engine oil very very often, and also the filter.
This will cost a lot (filters)
My thought, if i use a reusable oil filter, i can see if the particles become less and do not have to spend so much on oil filters.(and oil)
Do i think wright or wrong ? anybody a suggestion....

Thomass

4.3LXJ
04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
One trick that has been used by some old timers is after mechanical cleaning, removing the pan etc. (Replace that rear main while you are at it) Run diesel fuel through it for a few minutes and then drain it and do it again. It has some lubrication qualities as well as acting like a solvent. It is cheaper too. Watch and listen to the engine after you start this. I once destroyed one that looked like yours just by changing the oil. Put a rod right out through the side.

cpttuna
04-09-2010, 04:02 AM
some people add a quart of ATF and run the engine for 15 min or so and then drain the oil. the ATF is supposed to have detergent additives in it that help clean.

93gc40
04-17-2010, 04:49 PM
use several $2 walmart filters for the breaking period and a good filter later.

Thomass
04-18-2010, 07:32 AM
use several $2 walmart filters.

Oeps, we do not have a Walmart over here,:sad0147:

I have looked in to a kind-like shop, but these filters are also (to)expensive.
with an reusable-filter, i had also the possibility to check the contents and see if the oil is still contaminated.
Thomass

93gc40
04-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Oeps, we do not have a Walmart over here,:sad0147:

I have looked in to a kind-like shop, but these filters are also (to)expensive.
with an reusable-filter, i had also the possibility to check the contents and see if the oil is still contaminated.
Thomass

Sorry, didn't catch that you were from the Netherlands. I have seen oil filter relocation kits or remote filter kits, I will post when I find again. One of these kits may allow the use of a deisel type seperator/filter.

Thomass
04-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Great, i'll be waiting (impatiently :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:)

Xtreme XJ
04-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Years ago I had a CJ that I'd put any cheap oil into... I replace the valve cover gasket & the entire valve train was coated with a slug... so for a year or so I ran a high detergent deisel oil (Delo 400) and it would turn BLACK quick... after about the year the motor finally went and out of curiosity I checked under the cover and it was VERY clean... makes you wonder where it all went... To this day I run Delo... it gets dirty quick and I run mine in dust, dirt & silt so the 2000 to 2500 oil change is probably a good idea... you might run this type of oil and do several close together changes... then spread them out to the normal intervals... I too have heard of the ATF idea as well as Marvels Mystery Oil...

Good Luck...
Curt

muddeprived
04-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Instead of running a reusable filter, change the filter more often. I change oil every 1k-2k miles and I had zero sludge when I pulled the pan and vc.