PDA

View Full Version : Red LED rock crawling lights

Mudderoy
03-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I took a brief video of the LED rock crawling lights. I'm going to add 2 maybe 4 more tomorrow so I wanted to get a before comparison since the additional LED lights are from a different manufacture. $5 each compared to $35 each.

YouTube- Jeep XJ Red LED Rock Lights

4.3LXJ
03-28-2010, 10:20 AM
That will be interesting. Those lights already look fairly bright.

Mudderoy
03-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah some people don't like it because it reminds them of the "ricers". I like it though, and with it tied to the Remote Keyless Entry it makes for great where's my feet relative to where's the Jeep!

It's not as bright as the neon's that you see on cars. It has a nice red glow, really cool effect.

flippedXJ
04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
those are bad *** I want for the buggy and the jeep

Mudderoy
04-01-2010, 08:26 PM
those are bad *** I want for the buggy and the jeep

Well before you get any let me get these $5 LEDs on, and see what they look like compared to the ones that are 7 times the price. Might save you a bunch of money.

flippedXJ
04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
cool let me know and let me know where you got the hook up

Mudderoy
04-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Ok I had a nap, got up and decided to see how bright the new LED lights were. One thing led (<-- its a pun!) to another and I installed two of the four new LEDs that I purchased. Here's the video of 8 Red LEDs mounted under my XJ.

Six are $35 each, the two I just installed were about $5 each.

YouTube- Jeep with Red LED Rock lights

YouTube- Jeep with Red LED Rock lights 2

flippedXJ
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
looks like you have very good coverage - were the $5 as bright - seemed to be from the vid

4.3LXJ
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Looks like $5 lights work pretty good to me. Thanks for the info

Mudderoy
04-03-2010, 11:52 AM
looks like you have very good coverage - were the $5 as bright - seemed to be from the vid

They appear to be as bright, and my eldest daughter and I were debating if they were brighter.

Now the next thing to find out is how durable they are. The $35 www.roundeyes.com lights have been on my rig for over a year. The www.bluewaterled.com lights, well just installed.

Mudderoy
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Added the last 2 BlueWaterLED.com lights to the front.

YouTube- Jeep XJ 10 Red LED Lights

4.3LXJ
04-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Looks like they are working well to me:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
04-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Looks like they are working well to me:thumbsup:

I think they look a little brighter in the video than they actually are. At least I'm done, unless I want add white ones to the front. hmmmmm

Sure is nice to have such a cheap source for very nice LEDs.

Indiana Jeep
04-04-2010, 08:06 AM
I think they look a little brighter in the video than they actually are. At least I'm done, unless I want add white ones to the front. hmmmmm

Sure is nice to have such a cheap source for very nice LEDs.

If you add white put in a couple blue ones for the 4th, Memorial Day, etc.:thumbsup::patriot: If they have blue, I havn't checked out their site yet.

4.3LXJ
04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
If you add white put in a couple blue ones for the 4th, Memorial Day, etc.:thumbsup::patriot: If they have blue, I havn't checked out their site yet.

you could add a rotary switch and flash red, white and blue.:patriot:

Mudderoy
04-04-2010, 09:54 PM
You know as cheap as those BlueWaterLEDs are I could prob do it for $50 and the light output would be huge. Get 4 of those 15 LED light strips. That would be $64 plus shipping. For about $100 I could get 4 of the 30 LED strips.

http://bluewaterled.com/images/catalog/catpic8.jpg

http://bluewaterled.com/images/catalog/catpicb8.jpg

rguignard
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
it looks great muddy. i just went on there website and im not sure what lights you got could you post a link to them? thanks muddy

Mudderoy
04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
it looks great muddy. i just went on there website and im not sure what lights you got could you post a link to them? thanks muddy

:link: (http://bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=26)

http://bluewaterled.com/images/catalog/catpic26.jpg

Remember these come in PAIRS. To do what I did you'd need to order 5. Which would be 10 of these. They don't come with wiring or fuses, so you'd need to purchase those separately. The $35 ones from roundeyes.com came with 15 feet of wiring and fuses.

rguignard
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
:link: (http://bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=26)

http://bluewaterled.com/images/catalog/catpic26.jpg

Remember these come in PAIRS. To do what I did you'd need to order 5. Which would be 10 of these. They don't come with wiring or fuses, so you'd need to purchase those separately. The $35 ones from roundeyes.com came with 15 feet of wiring and fuses.

i got lots of wire and fuses :thumbsup:

Indiana Jeep
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Came across this site thought you might like to see it. I'm going to get the red led for the interior dome light. http://www.oznium.com/leds

LizardRunner
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
those are sweet. think I'll get some green ones for Da Lizard and some nice blue ones for our boat. and maybe some ambers for my bike, pumpkin.

Mudderoy
02-07-2011, 12:22 PM
those are sweet. think I'll get some green ones for Da Lizard and some nice blue ones for our boat. and maybe some ambers for my bike, pumpkin.

Lots of people have given me grief for them, but just as many have thought it was really cool. I like them, so I say go with what you like. :D

modestmar00xj
02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
That looks awesome! i want some!

xjrev10
02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
ricer to me just because they are red.. do they actually do what lights mounted like that on jeep are supposed to do for ya on the trail at night?

Mudderoy
02-08-2011, 08:02 PM
ricer to me just because they are red.. do they actually do what lights mounted like that on jeep are supposed to do for ya on the trail at night?

They aren't that bright, I think they would be if I doubled the number of them though. Plus being red they won't hurt your night vision. :rotfl2:

rguignard
02-08-2011, 08:25 PM

trail at night :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: muddy on a trail at night :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
trail at night :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: muddy on a trail at night :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Hey hey how many heavy duty track bars have you bent mister?!?!?!

rguignard
02-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey hey how many heavy duty track bars have you bent mister?!?!?!

well i guess non you got me there :smiley-laughing021: but it not from lack of trying :thumbsup:

Jimmy James
03-09-2011, 02:03 AM
I know this thread is old, but I had to put in my .02 on your lights....

Granted they look cool, but....

I would think white lights would be better suited for "Rock Crawling" lights... mainly because they would better server their purpose... to see under your rig better at night.. LOL

The red lights really do just look like some "ricer" or more appropriate "mall crawling" accessories than actual functional crawling lights bro.... Then again you are in Katy, TX.. I could be wrong, but I cant imagine there's much that could be really considered rock crawling there that would warrant the need for true rock crawling lights at night. ;) It might serve you better to just mount some mosquito bug zapper lights underneath your rig.. :D

Mudderoy
03-09-2011, 05:51 AM
I know this thread is old, but I had to put in my .02 on your lights....

Granted they look cool, but....

I would think white lights would be better suited for "Rock Crawling" lights... mainly because they would better server their purpose... to see under your rig better at night.. LOL

The red lights really do just look like some "ricer" or more appropriate "mall crawling" accessories than actual functional crawling lights bro.... Then again you are in Katy, TX.. I could be wrong, but I cant imagine there's much that could be really considered rock crawling there that would warrant the need for true rock crawling lights at night. ;) It might serve you better to just mount some mosquito bug zapper lights underneath your rig.. :D

We don't play the "old thread" game here. If you see something you want to comment on or ask a question, then post away.

I'm just reporting what they company that sells them, calls them "Rock Crawling Lights"

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/roundeyes.jpg

I would need twice the number I have for them to be anywhere bright enough to be good trail, high water, rock crawling lights. Beside when I was deciding white or colored LEDs I went for looks over functionality. Some people gave me shit about it most didn't. Ultimately it really didn't matter because I liked it and that was the point.

Jimmy James
03-09-2011, 06:21 AM
We don't play the "old thread" game here. If you see something you want to comment on or ask a question, then post away.

I'm just reporting what they company that sells them, calls them "Rock Crawling Lights"

Yeah I can see that... I mean Bushwacker seems to consider their products for off road use, and I cant tell you how many XJs Ive seen around town missing one or more Bushwacker flare after they actually went on a trail with em... They either busted off from flexing into them, or they break/crack at the slight brush up against a tree or a rock.... So its not a shocker that a company would consider colored lights as "rock crawling" lights when they don't really light #$%# up the way they should.

Seriously though, with all the popularity of JKs these days amongst mall crawlers, the colored "rock crawling" lights isn't at all surprising. Im sure you can find the same lights marketed to euro tuner guys as "colored street glow LEDs" or "colored Tuner LEDs"... LOL

But like I said the red looks cool, especially how they match the rig... but serve no purpose but to do just that, look cool.... Mission accomplished! ;)

I seriously think that being in the area you are, you should figure out a way to convert those mosquito zapping lights to go under your rig....:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
03-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Yeah I can see that... I mean Bushwacker seems to consider their products for off road use, and I cant tell you how many XJs Ive seen around town missing one or more Bushwacker flare after they actually went on a trail with em... They either busted off from flexing into them, or they break/crack at the slight brush up against a tree or a rock.... So its not a shocker that a company would consider colored lights as "rock crawling" lights when they don't really light #$%# up the way they should.

Seriously though, with all the popularity of JKs these days amongst mall crawlers, the colored "rock crawling" lights isn't at all surprising. Im sure you can find the same lights marketed to euro tuner guys as "colored street glow LEDs" or "colored Tuner LEDs"... LOL

But like I said the red looks cool, especially how they match the rig... but serve no purpose but to do just that, look cool.... Mission accomplished! ;)

I seriously think that being in the area you are, you should figure out a way to convert those mosquito zapping lights to go under your rig....:thumbsup:

If I used it for camping bug lights would be a great idea! Especially in Katy.

Dirtoyz
07-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone with crawl lights can comment on their location. Where would you put them to get the best use out of them?
Also I found a set that serves both purposes of 'Looks' and 'function'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6oqGKHCa7E&feature=g-hist

Mudderoy
07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I was wondering if anyone with crawl lights can comment on their location. Where would you put them to get the best use out of them?
Also I found a set that serves both purposes of 'Looks' and 'function'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6oqGKHCa7E&feature=g-hist

The LED lights I have are decorational at best. I believe the point of having these lights is to give the driver/spotter the ability to see how the tire(s) are approaching the obstacle. If this is true then the lights need to be in front of the tires, and perhaps behind the tires as well.

The lights need to be bright enough for the driver/spotter to see and far enough away (for the spotter) not to put them in harms way.

I think RED lights are a good idea from the stand point that it doesn't hurt your night vision as much as a white light would. You know like the submarine movies about WWII? :D

Dirtoyz
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I'd have to go Green.:D Night vision, and won't make a green rig to look like a chrismas tree.

DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE
12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
those look pretty stealthy!