PDA

View Full Version : My Jeep was Totaled 3/11/2010

kryptonitexj
03-26-2010, 01:31 PM
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww133/kryptonite9385/TotalledJeep4.jpg
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww133/kryptonite9385/TotalledJeep3.jpg
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww133/kryptonite9385/TotalledJeep2.jpg
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww133/kryptonite9385/TotalledJeep.jpg

This is Why I havnt been on Lately. It saddens me to see all these nice jeeps.:mad0090:

96xj
03-26-2010, 01:38 PM
thats sucks sorry for your loss , did this happen in a parking lot ?

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Well like I told you on PM I really hate this. So how did the Toyoda fair? Any pictures of it? How did the accident happen?

rguignard
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
it looks fixable what are you going to do with it now :shocker:

kryptonitexj
03-26-2010, 03:18 PM
The Toyota ran a rad light.(hes claiming the toyota recal acc/breaking problem) Hitting me in the Right front tire, causing me to do a 90 degree then slamming into the side of him. The tundra was way worse off in terms of damage. But being that our Jeeps are Unibody mine is totaled. I miss it so much. Every time I see a XJ lifted I wanna cry. Man I miss my Jeep.

Mudderoy
03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
I'll start...

Toyota car brand
Taglines:

Today Tomorrow Toyota. (Europe)
Today Tomorrow then BOOM! Back to the Future! Toyota. :smiley-laughing021:

Toyota. Moving Forward.
Toyota. Moving Forward, faster and faster, screaming!!!!

The best built cars in the world.
Get the Feeling. Toyota.
Drive Your Dreams.
The car in front is a Toyota.
I love what you do for me - Toyota!
Your new experience of motoring.

Feel free to modify any of them. ;)

rguignard
03-26-2010, 03:39 PM
The Toyota ran a rad light.(hes claiming the toyota recal acc/breaking problem) Hitting me in the Right front tire, causing me to do a 90 degree then slamming into the side of him. The tundra was way worse off in terms of damage. But being that our Jeeps are Unibody mine is totaled. I miss it so much. Every time I see a XJ lifted I wanna cry. Man I miss my Jeep.

did you buy it back ? lots of good parts if didnt did you keep any of it ?

kryptonitexj
03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Im still dealing with the insurance. I plan on buying it back. But it depends on how much they want.

alwaysxj
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
man that sucks i am so sorry i will cry for you i loved the look of your two door. you have to buy it back for sure.:driving::driving:

Rev D
03-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry man, that sucks. You know the problem with this Toyota deal is every fool who can't drive is going to claim the car took off and went out of control. Its going to be a blanket cause of accidents for anyone driving a Toyota, a easy way out. Hope your ok and that you can buy it back enough to either fix or use for parts on another. Good luck.

Regards,

Don

4.3LXJ
03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry to hear this man.

I totaled my first XJ. Might have a pic somewhere but not now. I bought it back for 25% of what they offered then stripped it and got rid of he body.

rguignard
03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Im still dealing with the insurance. I plan on buying it back. But it depends on how much they want.

hell go after toyota its there fault your jeep is wrecked :smiley-laughing021:the guy that hit you will you can bet your a$$ on that :shocker:

kryptonitexj
03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I Miss my jeep so much.......
State Farm is giving me the run around. They need to hurry up and pay for what their driver has done!!!

BlueXJ
03-29-2010, 07:20 PM
If you get it back are you going to rebuild or just use the parts?

xj4life2
03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Sorry to see the mess he made of your rig but from the looks of it I would say you can fix it. Total just means its more to fix than the Ins. co. will put out. We took one that was far worse than yours and put it back on the road/trail in a month of evenings. Good luck with it all !!!

Melissa
04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Noooooooooooo :sad0147::sad0147:

I'm sorry

AZXJ
04-02-2010, 02:06 AM
That sucks! Hope your up and running soon. Good luck.

novastique
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
That stinks, especially that it's a 2 door. Mines been smacked twice now. :sad0147:

JG-Man
05-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Dude, sorry to see that. Let's co-miserate, check out my album !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:boo hoo:

JG-Man
05-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Do you think mine is fixable? (See my album page)

XJ4IV
05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
WOW... IFFFFFF you let it go PLEASE let me know where it's going as I will buy parts at the JY I could use several of those parts...possibly the front bumper. and control arms if they are still decent.

XJ4IV
05-11-2010, 06:50 AM
oh AND the tires... ID LOVE TO HAVE THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JG-Man
05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I can feel KryponiteXJ's pain!!!!! I am waiting to see if the insurance co will total mine too and I can buy it back. Everybody is telling me NOT to keep it, I don't know what to do, my body shop guy says it's fixable. I will have a lot of good XJ parts if I can strip it, including a like new Rock Hard winch bumper and winch plate attachment w/bullbar (not yet shown on my profile). I even have 4 rust free doors for it.

Mudderoy
05-13-2010, 09:33 AM
I can feel KryponiteXJ's pain!!!!! I am waiting to see if the insurance co will total mine too and I can buy it back. Everybody is telling me NOT to keep it, I don't know what to do, my body shop guy says it's fixable. I will have a lot of good XJ parts if I can strip it, including a like new Rock Hard winch bumper and winch plate attachment w/bullbar (not yet shown on my profile). I even have 4 rust free doors for it.

Holy Crap! I'm telling you this is an Obama conspiracy to destroy all our beloved XJs!

alwaysxj
05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Holy Crap! I'm telling you this is an Obama conspiracy to destroy all our beloved XJs!

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:
it is true it seems like i have seen more and more xjs getting totaled lately.
wtf.

4.3LXJ
05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
They are getting older and the blue book value is going down, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. In my case, an 86 is only worth about $400 bare bones. Of course if it was totaled I would make them pay for all the goodies too.

alwaysxj
05-13-2010, 11:22 AM
ya the jeep i just got was totaled out and it is a 01 the guy bought it back for like $2500 or somthing and then fixed it and i got it for $4000 still not bad i think.

JG-Man
05-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Mine was able to be driven away! Just a blown shock leaking. But it looks like I rolled it or something. Like 4.3LXJ said, they are getting older and the book value is low now so I'll find out tomorrow. My wife doesn't want me to keep it with a salvage title.

JG-Man
05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks to USAA my XJ will live to see more days on and off the road! They said its repairable and are NOT totaling the Jeep! Stay tuned to see the results AND future mods! :jumping0041:

Sorry, KryponiteXJ - but I hear he is going to make a comeback via a CJ-8 :congrats:

Mudderoy
05-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks to USAA my XJ will live to see more days on and off the road! They said its repairable and are NOT totaling the Jeep! Stay tuned to see the results AND future mods! :jumping0041:

Sorry, KryponiteXJ - but I hear he is going to make a comeback via a CJ-8 :congrats:

Excellent!

troys96xj
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear that.I don't know what I would do without my XJ.

JG-Man
05-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Since I'm now getting a new hood and paint, how many people think I should keep the hood bright red, or for the same price, have it painted flat black with red fenders???

Mudderoy
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Since I'm now getting a new hood and paint, how many people think I should keep the hood bright red, or for the same price, have it painted flat black with red fenders???

I would get a cowl induction hood, let the hot air out!

4.3LXJ
05-19-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm with Muddy on that one. Since I vented my hood, I no longer blow head gaskets going up long hills. I don't have a 4.0 engine, but it shows how much it helps. The cowl induction hoods look real good when painted the same as the rest of the Jeep. I wouldn't go with a black hood unless I had a real light colored Jeep due to reflected sunlight. I did that once to a flatfender I had with a white hood and noticed a dramatic difference on sunny days.

JG-Man
05-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Good idea, a cowl induction hood! (why didn't I think of that!). Is that in fiberglass only? Who makes them for the XJs? I hope the body shop has not already ordered a hood. These insurance companies move fast these days.
Fiberglass would help offset the weight of the winch I'm about to add to the front end too. I have already talked them into replacing the shocks with Rancho adjustables (as you can see from the pics the front shock(s) took a direct hit).

JG-Man
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I am also looking for a stock height but HEAVY DUTY shackle w/no luck. Doesn't anybody mass produce them for stock ride heights? I only see HD ones in 2"-6" of lift. I checked Detours, who else sponsors us?

Mudderoy
05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Good idea, a cowl induction hood! (why didn't I think of that!). Is that in fiberglass only? Who makes them for the XJs? I hope the body shop has not already ordered a hood. These insurance companies move fast these days.
Fiberglass would help offset the weight of the winch I'm about to add to the front end too. I have already talked them into replacing the shocks with Rancho adjustables (as you can see from the pics the front shock(s) took a direct hit).

Check 4wd.com, it's all metal.

JG-Man
05-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Looking now. Only see Daystar in HD but they are 1" additional lift and don't have a cross-section for strength like the OEM replacements have.

Mudderoy
05-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Looking now. Only see Daystar in HD but they are 1" additional lift and don't have a cross-section for strength like the OEM replacements have.

:link: (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10246)

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=731800.jpg&partNo=RAP&w=200&h=200

JG-Man
05-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Guys, the "musclecar hood" is $428! You guys are in CA and TX but heat is not as big of a problem here. I have a OEM corroded radiator (changed fluid recently) that never lets the temp needle get off center. For the extra $272 I could get a nice performance radiator and/or another electric fan.
I haven't seen any beefy OEM height shackles yet - I looked in several places including 4WD.com, I have seen fabricators sell them somewhere.

Mudderoy
05-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Guys, the "musclecar hood" is $428! You guys are in CA and TX but heat is not as big of a problem here. I have a OEM corroded radiator (changed fluid recently) that never lets the temp needle get off center. For the extra $272 I could get a nice performance radiator and/or another electric fan.
I haven't seen any beefy OEM height shackles yet - I looked in several places including 4WD.com, I have seen fabricators sell them somewhere.

Yeah it's expensive, but I've changed everything on my cooling system. Electric fans would be next, but I have a running hot problem going down the road at 70 mph, so fans shouldn't be the issue. I have a 3 core all metal radiator as well... My plans are to get another hood and put an aftermarket cowl induction scoop on it, and paint it myself.

JG-Man
05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
That sounds strange that you would be running hot with a new 3 core. Did you try changing to a different temperature thermostat?

JG-Man
05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
The insurance company has taken care of everything! Check out the new improved XJ! Why is everyone laughing at me?

Mudderoy
05-22-2010, 10:41 PM
That sounds strange that you would be running hot with a new 3 core. Did you try changing to a different temperature thermostat?

3 core radiator
high flow thermo housing
high flow 195 degree thermo
high flow water pump
all new hoses
flushed system until it stayed a pretty clear, then added proper mix of antifreeze
replaced radiator cap
Heavy Duty Grand Cherokee fan clutch

The only thing that hasn't been replaced, or improved on, is the heater core

JG-Man
05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Tell me if you already looked into this but I see that 4WD.com has 3 different stock thermostat for our XJs: 160 degrees, 180 & 195 degrees. I checked some other auto parts sites and they show 180 degrees for the 1998 Classic 4.0L. Could it be that your engine computer management system is designed to work with the engine at 180 degrees. A lower/higher temperature thermostat may keep the engine in open loop not allowing the computer to control the engine? It's cheap thing to try out a 180 degree theromstat, maybe the OEM computer doesn't like your hi-flow upgrades.

As you can see in my profile, my first 4x4 was an '89 K-5 Blazer beast with a 350 Cu.In. engine. A few days before the big Blizzard of 1993 (hit DE, where I lived at the time, pretty hard up here) my friend's brother-in law, an ASE mechanic, had done a regular maintenance on my K-5 changing the oil & fluids and decided to change my thermostat as an extra precaution, as a freebie. Whatever he did or if the thermo was defective it was stuck closed causing the engine to overheat in about 2 mins. The truck sat on the sidelines the whole blizzard while we drove around in his front wheel drive Dodge Colt! Later I found out the engine block had developed a crack! (less than 50K miles). So thermostats are cheap items that can cause havoc if they don't work right or get clogged.

Mudderoy
05-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Tell me if you already looked into this but I see that 4WD.com has 3 different stock thermostat for our XJs: 160 degrees, 180 & 195 degrees. I checked some other auto parts sites and they show 180 degrees for the 1998 Classic 4.0L. Could it be that your engine computer management system is designed to work with the engine at 180 degrees. A lower/higher temperature thermostat may keep the engine in open loop not allowing the computer to control the engine? It's cheap thing to try out a 180 degree theromstat, maybe the OEM computer doesn't like your hi-flow upgrades.

As you can see in my profile, my first 4x4 was an '89 K-5 Blazer beast with a 350 Cu.In. engine. A few days before the big Blizzard of 1993 (hit DE, where I lived at the time, pretty hard up here) my friend's brother-in law, an ASE mechanic, had done a regular maintenance on my K-5 changing the oil & fluids and decided to change my thermostat as an extra precaution, as a freebie. Whatever he did or if the thermo was defective it was stuck closed causing the engine to overheat in about 2 mins. The truck sat on the sidelines the whole blizzard while we drove around in his front wheel drive Dodge Colt! Later I found out the engine block had developed a crack! (less than 50K miles). So thermostats are cheap items that can cause havoc if they don't work right or get clogged.

Before getting to the high flow stuff, I tried 180 degree thermo, I even tried a 180 degree high flow thermo, if I remember right. It ran fine, just very little heat in the winter. I read alot about the thermostat causing mpg issues so I got the 195 thermostat once I thought I had licked the running hot situation. Of course the real test is Houston summers.

Keep in mind the problem isn't over heating it is running hot. So 180 or 195 it didn't matter. The engine ran hot with either one.

JG-Man
05-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I see. So you did already think of that. How about what are you using to get your running hot temp readings? The stock temp gauge? Where is that hooked up/measuring the heat from your new high flow radiator? Maybe it's not actually running hot at all?

Mudderoy
05-27-2010, 07:19 AM
I see. So you did already think of that. How about what are you using to get your running hot temp readings? The stock temp gauge? Where is that hooked up/measuring the heat from your new high flow radiator? Maybe it's not actually running hot at all?

Well the readings from the stock temp sensor and gauge could be wrong, but that is my base line that I am comparing how it used to be to how it is now.

When it shows the temp at the same level it has for the last 9 years, but I get on the highway and it goes above that, well it could be wrong, but I don't think so. Besides when it gets a little above 210 I can feel a slight loss of power.

JG-Man
05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I should know this but I don't have my XJ to reference right now, Is the OEM dash gauge reading oil temp or water temp for engine temp? Because I was thinking what if by changing to a high flow radiator you changed where the readings were coming from to the factory computer. Maybe an aftermarket gauge that measures just water temp would help you alleviate your concerns. I added 3 more gauges to my Mustang GT that covered readings that the factory gauges didn't give me any info on (water temp, oil pressure and a voltmeter).

Mudderoy
05-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I should know this but I don't have my XJ to reference right now, Is the OEM dash gauge reading oil temp or water temp for engine temp? Because I was thinking what if by changing to a high flow radiator you changed where the readings were coming from to the factory computer. Maybe an aftermarket gauge that measures just water temp would help you alleviate your concerns. I added 3 more gauges to my Mustang GT that covered readings that the factory gauges didn't give me any info on (water temp, oil pressure and a voltmeter).

I remember on my 327 I could put the mechanical water temp probe several places. I only know of one place on my 4.0 I mean without doing one of those in the upper hose things. I hate that kind of set up. I have considered adding a mechanical temp gauge for water, oil, and transmission fluid. If I had my wish it would look like a cockpit of a 747 in there!