PDA

View Full Version : Vendor fees limit HSP

Howler_GT
05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
It would appear that today marks another step in HSP evolution. Despite its a BACKSTEP, its a step nonetheless.

Not long ago, CherokeeTalk changed thier handling of Vendors. Removing the original Vendor Section and Opting to charge a fee for the ability to post in the "NEW" area.
BUH-BYE CT!

TODAY: CherokeeForums has basically done the same. But in this case its a $25/mo fee or $270/yr. OUCH!
I have thusly REMOVED my advert/post from there.

I am a Cherokee "enthusiast" that is providing these items to fellow-XJ lovers.
I am not in this to become rich. I make almost nothing off the items I make. I make just enough to by more "raw materials"

Several of my close friends suggested I forget the forums and put my stuff on eBay. I originally scoffed at the idea. Why? Insertion Fees and Final Value Fees would either totally deplete any small amout I manage to clear, and I got tired of all the BS over there at eBay.

But as more of my beloved forums deem it necessary to place these fees on me, I am forced to re-think the eBay idea.

I have my items listed in two final forums. IF one decides fees are necessary, HSP will go eBay ONLY.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to vent.
I am really :mad0090::mad0090: right now.

Mudderoy
05-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I understand the "cost" in running one of these boards. Well I'll say I think I do since I've been running this one for ALMOST two months. :smiley-laughing021:

With that said, I can see the appeal to charge vendors that are conceivably making money off the hard work and expense of the site.

That's as much defense I can give the board operators.

I too am a Jeep XJ enthusiasts and that is the ONLY reason I put this board up. I want a place where people who think like me can come and talk about their XJ's. I think it is really cool when I can get a vendor here so the population can ask questions, find out more about the products. It's so much nicer than bidding on an auction, or BUY ME NOW.

I think it's better for the population and the vendors because it is interactive communications and I think it's just more fun.

Really that is the point, to have fun.

No need to worry about fees here. That's one easy way xjtalk can be different than the others.

I personally really appreciate you being here, and I'm still loving my diamond plate sills! :thumbsup:

BTW, It would be pretty easy for me to set you up a HSP section in the classifieds!

xjjeepthing
05-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I hope this pace stays different. Cherokee talk is becoming more like Jeep Forum everyday.
Cherokee Forum is getting more Naxja like as time goes on. I hope we can make this a different kind of site.

DETOURS
05-01-2009, 09:18 PM
AHHHH....Let me correct you on something there xjjeep...........I've been banned from "Jeepforum" TWICE now in a 5 year period, simply by discussing or adding info. to posts about product I produce, I am currently BANNED as "Detoured" over there because I was'nt willing to pay the requested $250.00 for the privilage to update/correct information/correct misguided internet therories/correct misguided internet web engineers/ad informative info. to existing threads or threads inwhich I did not start........:eek: , now how idiotic is that??? not to mention.......when I put fourth the question as to where the money goes, what does JeepForum do for the JEEP community, does it support outside organizations such as Tread Lightly, and others.....I not only got no reply........I WAS BANNED. :thumbdown:

HAD I.........been informed that, Yes Detoured...funds collected goes towards _________, __________, ___________ and __________. I would have saw value in the, what I consider a DONATION.........but no, Jeepforum is owned by a single individual it seems.......I guess making rent checks and eating KFC every night...........I was'nt told otherwise so how the hell do I know????

NAXJA has expences, it carries insurance for outtings, belongs to the offroad community, excetra.........they're kool and I donate when possible.

I have experiance with smaller forums, they work on their own.....if their policy works for them.......great, if not........well?

I DO NOT do ebay, it cheap'ins product in the big picture.........it may work for some, but I dont see a need for it, where we're concerned.

Forums such as this one, just starting out, maybe even 2 years from now looking for a break, I'm ALWAYS willing to DONATE to even though I have yet to run a vendor ad in any-way......I've donated to numerous forums in the past in numerous ways and am always willing to do so when asked, I rarely talk about our own products unless asked or have become aware of a post looking for direction...........and will continue to do so.

You need to do whats right for you, look at where your money's going before you poo-poo advertising on forums, if it goes back to the Jeep community, its not a bad thing.......ebay dosent do that.

BlueXJ
05-01-2009, 10:51 PM
HowlerGT just a heads up to you. We mods over on CF are fighting for an exemption for you on that forum. We all know you are not trying to make a living from the things you make and are doing it for the sake of helping fellow Jeepers. The owners are not Jeepers and find it hard to understand. We are all pulling for you on that forum. We should know soon.

muddeprived
05-02-2009, 05:22 AM
AHHHH....Let me correct you on something there xjjeep...........I've been banned from "Jeepforum" TWICE now in a 5 year period, simply by discussing or adding info. to posts about product I produce, I am currently BANNED as "Detoured" over there because I was'nt willing to pay the requested $250.00 for the privilage to update/correct information/correct misguided internet therories/correct misguided internet web engineers/ad informative info. to existing threads or threads inwhich I did not start........:eek: , now how idiotic is that??? not to mention.......when I put fourth the question as to where the money goes, what does JeepForum do for the JEEP community, does it support outside organizations such as Tread Lightly, and others.....I not only got no reply........I WAS BANNED. :thumbdown:

HAD I.........been informed that, Yes Detoured...funds collected goes towards _________, __________, ___________ and __________. I would have saw value in the, what I consider a DONATION.........but no, Jeepforum is owned by a single individual it seems.......I guess making rent checks and eating KFC every night...........I was'nt told otherwise so how the hell do I know????

NAXJA has expences, it carries insurance for outtings, belongs to the offroad community, excetra.........they're kool and I donate when possible.

I have experiance with smaller forums, they work on their own.....if their policy works for them.......great, if not........well?

I DO NOT do ebay, it cheap'ins product in the big picture.........it may work for some, but I dont see a need for it, where we're concerned.

Forums such as this one, just starting out, maybe even 2 years from now looking for a break, I'm ALWAYS willing to DONATE to even though I have yet to run a vendor ad in any-way......I've donated to numerous forums in the past in numerous ways and am always willing to do so when asked, I rarely talk about our own products unless asked or have become aware of a post looking for direction...........and will continue to do so.

You need to do whats right for you, look at where your money's going before you poo-poo advertising on forums, if it goes back to the Jeep community, its not a bad thing.......ebay dosent do that.

I saw firsthand the BAN hammer slamming you over at Jeepforum. That was 'tarded IMO. You didn't do anything wrong and got banned. WTF? I hardly ever go over there anymore. But I do stand up for your products there when I see threads relating to them ;)

Howler, I understand what you are going through. Cherokeeforum used to be totally cool when it was a small community. That all went out the door when it grew in members and management changes occured. I don't go over there anymore either. CT is "alright" for right now but I can see it changing a little as members increase. It seems once a forum gains so many members, it has to start charging fees and stuff like that. Personally i HATE when venders have to pay to sell products to us. I mean, come on, if you are selling a product on my forum, you are bringing in more members into my community. That's enough for me to yield to you and allow you to do your business. Most of all, you are making stuff for our jeeps, which we all love emptying our wallets so you deserve a big THANK YOU instead of a bill to pay. Don't shy away from ebay though. It's not as bad as you think if you know how to manage your sells and cover the costs of the fees. You may have to raise your prices a little here and there but you will still gain sales. This guy named Bruce over on NAXJA sells his skid plates on ebay and is doing very well. Once word got out that his plate was on ebay, it started selling real well. I've seen alot of threads on JF regarding his skid and those who purchased it and it's quite popular. http://appalachianarmor.com/index.htm That's his website. You could drop him a line and see how his business is over on ebay. He's a real cool guy. I have his skid too ;)

Mudderoy, please do your best to keep this forum the way it is now. It's perfect and I wouldn't ask for anything to be changed.

xjjeepthing
05-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey D Im not saying that JF and Naxja are bad, I read both daily. Just saying that Other boards seem to pattern them selves after them. It would be nice to be a bit more original. When CT asked me to mod, the idea was to allow vendors to post for free as long as they put a link to the site on theres. It is changing

DETOURS
05-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey D Im not saying that JF and Naxja are bad, I read both daily. Just saying that Other boards seem to pattern them selves after them. It would be nice to be a bit more original.

I know, I caught the minor misread as I reviewed my post, and just left it as is.......should'a took the time, my bad...

Pretty much, forum sites are what they are........basically, in my eyes if the site gives back to the community, take NAXJA for instance, then I dont mind putting up a'lil dough or donations for raffles..........little 'give-backs' creates a full circle, just as it should be. :popcorn:

BlueXJ
05-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Remember NAXJA is a club which happens to have a forum. That is a little different than most standard sites, which are mainly a forum.

DETOURS
05-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Correct, and it (NAXJA) allows information to travel freely within it's forum, which helps bring correct information to it's readers............Other forums, which dont allow info to travel freely (refer to my 1st reply) actually criple themselves in the long run, it dosent make sense unless you want to grow mushrooms.....most move away from the forum over time.

Howler_GT
05-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I would like to thank everyone who has spoken up on my behalf over on CF.

I just received a PM from site administrator of my new status as a vendor.

Characteristically, I would normally 'cut my nose off to spite my face. BUT, I will do something very NOT-Howler-like and I will return as a Vendor.

BUT, I seem to have this bad taste in my mouth. May take some time to get rid of. I think I will get over it.

I MAY even put the 'now-in-demand-since-discontinued' A-pillar light mounts back into production

BlueXJ
05-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Whoopeeeeee!!!!!

okcjeeper
05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Yep we fought for ya Howler.. I was pretty darn pissed when I saw what they were doing and the direction they took it. So we spoke up and at least this time they listened. I often wonder what they are thinking when they do things but eh not my site. Anyways glad you are sticking around. You make a quality product and so far my threshholds have been holding up nicely.

Mudderoy
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
So far?!?!?! Howler I think he's expecting trouble! :smiley-laughing021:

Howler_GT
05-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I would hope they are holding up. :smiley-laughing021: